Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • and if you compare gh2 without hack with gh3 the difference is important (gh2 looks very poor)

• With a normal postprod I think the GH3 with the 50P make the job. The firmwire is a just so young. but the body and electronic very correctly...

• @shian

The GH3 screen looks horrible, color smearing, banding... it's crap! Unless we just got a bad cam. The GH3 is a BIG letdown.

Remember that you make objective test, not something made on emotional breakdown :-)

• @shian :-) Can't wait to see your tests!

Btw: First and foremost the 5DmkIII encoder uses just 4x4 transform (like the GH2) and employs High Profile Level 5.1 for All-I and High Profile Level 4.1 for IPB. Everything is encoded using CAVLC (All-I and IPB) and NO scaling matrices are found to be used if my analysis using Elecard is correct. All-I is around 90Mbps avg / 100Mbps allocation max.

Contrary to the Canon 5DMKiii encoder, the new Panasonic GH3 encoder uses Adaptive 8x8 and 4x4 transform and is thus 12% more efficient. It's All-I rec modes chooses High Profile lvl 5.0 CAVLC to encode - IPB employs CABAC High Profile level 4.1. All the GH3 modes share the same scaling matrix sets. Now whether @shian 's results are down to the wide use of 8x8 transform encode for most of the GH3 picture might well be revealing.

So you can see there are marked differences in the codec between the GH3 and the 5DMK3.

Incidentally, the 7D, 60D, and 5DmkII use baseline profile and are not cut out for hi level encoder hacking! Period.

@cbrandin Confides this sensible summary regarding the GH3 vs GH2 to me;-

"I would expect the 50Mb stuff to look great. The 72Mb all I frame isn't going to look as good as your GH2 GOP1 patches - at least I'd be very surprised if it did.

As for 4x4 vs 8x8, the codec estimators determine when to use them based on achieving a target image quality. It seems logical to me that 4x4 would be used on edges that go to extremes because that allows for more variation in QP values and matrices used for individual macroblocks."

This makes reasonable sense. More to be revealed in my forthcoming Panasonic GH3 Review 8: 'GH3 v GH2: Sogni D'oro Don Canoneone' (out by the weekend ...hopefully)

• @klodavid Thanks for you ingenuity, I'll stay happily with my trustful GH2. We have to accept this is a minor tick as Canon did with the 6D. The video quality it maybe the same with some fancy add, but it's very, very hard to justify the price they ask for. I admire VK but asking to rebuild the GH3 it may be too much even for him. Personally I've focused my love for beautiful pictures on learning my best the cameras I own, and balancing their limits improving my skill in post. Cheaper and more rewarding. My 2 cents

• WHAT???

The GH3 screen looks horrible, color smearing, banding... it's crap! Unless we just got a bad cam. The GH3 is a BIG letdown.

And the Hacks are stable if you use the right cards, and you hack it properly. NEVER had a problem with hacked GH2. never.

• For me, the new GH3 look better than gh2 : I test it in documentary situation and I prefer the body, the menu, , the short cuts… most intuitive and reassuring. But i'm waiting with impatience the future Hack !! (for time removal, film look, noiseless & aliasing & moiré… Thanks Vitaliy, driftwood & co for your precious work !! For Audio GH3 : the new microphone on the gh3 appear very chip and a very bad location back of the flash grip, perhaps panasonic want we'll buy the new shot gun. For the moment I use a old schoeps mono cardio with phatom body alim… davidof of france.

• @shayanxtra

Their shipping page online mentions orders outside of Canada/US need to be done through the phone. You could try that.

• @shayanxtra, try Aden Camera in Toronto. I have purchased most of my m43rd body and glass from them. Actually, wait for a few minutes cuz I'm going down there to get my gh3 first and don't want the last one lol.

• @hoodlum I ordered at Henrys and paid with Paypal only for them to cancel my order and the reason being they dont ship Taiwan. Sucks

• @Paddy Gh3 seem to only send out 50i or 60i no matter what framerate you choose

• A graded version of my GH3 Demobbed done by Donna Close.

• @robbin: that's a "feature" of the Hyperdesk Shuttle: you can only record 1080i50/60, for progressive you have to go down to a lower rate - or 720p...

• did a quick test with my hyperdeck shuttle and it recorded 50i. Couldn't get progressive recording. But when connecting external monitor it said 1080p. Think shuttle can't read connection from gh3. The hdmi signal looks clean but only 50i for me at the moment.

• Here's the million dollar question for me: Does the GH3 have clean HDMI out???

• screenshots....

Bildschirmfoto 2012-12-16 um 23.37.00.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-12-16 um 23.36.26.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • it is normal to see jumps in the video of lumix gh3?

• Panasonic-Page says this: You can Record in Motion Picture 1/25 to 1/16000. But i can not make shorter Shutter-Speed than 1/4000. (Ok, it's not really important.)

And like GH2 the GH3 can go to one secret ISO-Stop more. In S or A (Video-Mode) set ISO to 6400 and then make the exposure to +3. Till +2 nothing changes (because in darkness Shutter is on Limit of 1/25 or 1/50, Aperture is open and ISO is fixed). But after +2 the Image gets brighter, so i think its a software-push to ISO 12800.

Once my TimeLapse-Function startet at 7:33 am, but i'm sure i set it to 06:00. I checked this and it was to 06:00 am. This happened only once from 5 times i used the TimeLapse over night or in the morning.

And for me, the GH3-Colors looks like Cinema, not like Video. The Colors are a little dark, but very filmish for me.

Ok, a Problem is this. When i go to manual Movie Mode, then set it to P, then save this as C1, C2 or C3-X. Then when go to C1 (or 2 ,3) you are in Manual Movie-Mode with P. But when you set it to A, S or M, you cannot change any Value. You Can set it to A, S or M, but it kjeeps in P (but it Shows Shutter and Aperture then, but you can't change it). Anyone else has this Problem?

• Henry's in Canada has stock and they ship worldwide.

• @astraban @Vitaliy_Kiselev -- my bad been out on the road too much and not following the boards. Ok, well, when the camera does arrive, lets get a pledge drive going so he can devote time to hacking this puppy.

• @JDN GH3 collect is over I believe. But VK's dacha is in a russian area where postal service is kinda...

slow.