Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 seems to resolve details better...but it could be due to the fact that AF was used. Look at words "Rendition Chart". GH3 focus seems to be more on the background; GH2 focused on foreground? Or is it simply that the GH2 resolves better?

• However, the Canon still tends to look a bit more like film, probably due to the full frame.

• The GH3 is clearly sharper than the Canon.

• The GH3 didn't look any sharper/better resolved than the Canon. Is it because of Vimeo compression? The tests I've done with my GH2 vs Nikon D800 show the GH2 to resolve noticeably better.

• For me, the banding problems are also a very big issue ! If GH3 is free of banding : Ill have it !

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yes...but I was explaining the need for my question. It is impossible for me to test the color banding on the GH3 for many weeks (no stock) and I need to decide about getting an alternative camera asap.

Although for many the 8 bit color banding issue of the GH2 is not so important, underwater it is much more of a problem. Unless it's completely fixed in the GH3 it is an issue I will no longer put up with. I've just used the 12 bit raw Blackmagic Cinema Camera for the first time yesterday...and it is simply stunning image quality with no banding nonsense.

• Absolutely nothing to apologize. I wished the GH3 would have become a better camera in terms of picture quality. But besides WiFi, mov containers, magnesium cabinet, 1080p50/60, the GH2 is probably sufficient. I built sturdy solutions for adapting and monitring external XLR audio to it and and external 9800maH batteries. So no benefit with a headphone jack and longer battery life.

• @jasonp I just finished editing a concert, being filmed with hacked GH2, GH1, D7, DVX-200 and some XDCam based, HD broadcast camera. Sorry, I do not remember the model number of the broadcast camera, some PDW-FXXX model. Maybe F800. I was also one of the cameramen. Differences in terms of resolution and color rendition were much greater between GH2/D7/DVX-200 than between GH2/PDW-Fxxx. The GH2 had more contrast in nostalgic mode, not so much details in black, but even during editing I sometimes forgot, which take was from a GH2 and which was from the broadcast camera. To make a long story short: If you are the editor, the proof will be up to the client that your footage is insufficient to broadcast standards, because you will deliver the edit in a broadcast format anyway, and will probably have exposed and white balanced very carefully while shooting in order not to stress the codec with heavy color correcting in post. But If you deliver raw footage, the GH3 might be your choice.

Even missing (or worse) 1080/25/50p in PAL countries is not necesarily a problen of GH2 versus GH3. GH 2´s best quality 23,976 FPS could be conformed to 25FPS without transcoding when the edit is finished. (Audio has to be sped up by 4% to stay in sync) They are doing this with film transfers since the beginning of (Pal) Television.

• The GH3 has arrived in Norway. I'll get mine tomorrow.

• @Manu4Vendetta - And how does the same scene compare with the GH2?

• @kellar42 see the varavon loupe thread, it doesn't fit.

• Has anyone has a chance to try a Varavon loupe on the GH3, yet? Does it work wonderfully with the OLED? Fit properly, etc?

• Problems with moire inst only of lenses Panasonic.

• @GH2UW @MRfanny

We have availability topic, use it for all such talks.

• I have to say, Crocket really scares me... I just hope his happy-go-lucky persona is not offset by kicking puppies in a back room somewhere.

• thx ND for your quizz and parameters in PP !!

PS: you got me! I made a typical method mistake: I made comparison in my web browser. There the photo is only 50 KB, not enough to detect compression. After downloading it, your photo became 2.5 MB. I put it in PhotoShop... And yes there I could note some compression artifact (VIMEO) on the right image : see the left cheek of the chica, it is flatten:-)

• @Frame. I think this sums it up in the Pro Video Coalition review: "the GH3 aliases more vigorously, and shows chroma moiré atypical of previous Panasonics, but it’s (paradoxically) somewhat cleaner and less obstreperous on contrasty edges"

The GH3 is a better built cam, there are more features and higher bitrates but the basic image quality is not that different compared to the GH2. It might be worse considering the moire, but better for dark scenes. Discover Mirrorless states that the autofocus in low light conditions is imensly improved as well.

• Left=regrade in PP CS6 in prep for h264 export (and how it looks before PP finishes render)

Middle = Original (still a lill' too red!)

Right=Final encode /output and how it now looks in Vimeo after doing regrade (Left)

Here's all I did in PP to achieve 'Left' to output 'Right'. Confusing eh?!

Basically, get it as flat as possible then the output after the encode looks much more reasonable and close to the original if not a little improved, but the result is Vimeo looks better (in my opinion).

Workflow PP CS6 to achieve original match for Vimeo.png
    2479 x 1255 - 2M
  • http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/first_look_panasonic_lumix_dmc-gh3_dslm_hybrid_still_video_camera/

Took this link from the GH3 user reviews and opinions thread. Even though Adam Wilt calls his test being made hasty, he took the time to shoot a test chart with GH3 and GH2 using manual lenses to achieve the same parameters in sharpness and exposure for both cameras.

Quote: "Of course the GH3 allows high-bitrate shooting—including a 50 Mbps long-GOP format that, by the numbers, even the BBC should allow—with no need for hacking by mad Russian geniuses(grin). The GH3 also has a headphone jack.

Consider that, right now, the GH2 sells for about half the price of the GH3… and the GH2 is a lot more than half as good.

If you need dual dials, a built-in intervalometer, in-camera HDR, the silent electronic shutter, unhacked high-bitrate video recording, and/or a headphone jack, the GH3 is clearly the way to go. If you need the sharpest, clearest EVF available; you’re happy with 24 Mbps AVCHD; and you can live without the features the GH3 adds, the GH2 is 90% of the camera for 50% of the price. (...) if you’re looking for a big leap in video performance over the GH2, the GH3 doesn’t appear to be it; it’s more like the move from an AG-AC160 to a 160A than the move from an HPX170 to an HPX250."

All the best, Frame

• @GH2UW i was told late Jan by a store. this news is even worse. I think i might get one from japan or the states after all and wait for a patch.

• @whynot

Yep...it's becoming "arse end of the World" here in more ways than one.

• @Driftwood

A1/ Original Right

A2/ Fave: Right

lol well done you avoided red cast of vimeo re-encoding-and-bad-grading