Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • I just happened upon this site when learning about my new GH3- just from what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to enjoy reading on this site :)

• "Filmic" & "cinematic" seems to be Visual's equivalent of Audio's "warm" & "analog"

• @mimirsan Is it just me in that video by "fotogen" does the 24P AVCHD look the least Moire "ridden" of all the clips? I mean it's still there but far less noticeable, closer to some of the 50P clips. It would be great to see a 24P All-I version of the same shot. Maybe its something with the 24P processing or AVCHD codec?

• @jjj_ri_usa Thanks a lot, man! I'm very flattered by your words. :) @driftwood Thank you! Glad you liked it.

@andrevanberlo Thanks! Yes I think the GH3 works best with sharpness dialed down to -5 and using more refined unsharp mask or similar filtering in post, because the radius is a wee bit too large I think for that filmic "sharp but soft" feeling you will achieve if properly applied in post.

As for the ungoing moiré and aliasing discussion... it has to stop! I have yet to see any evidence of potential issues with moiré from my own GH3 footage from day one with a pre-production unit. The images we've seen with heavy moiré have been processed very poorly in post or using weird settings in camera. I am not concerned at all from what I've seen. I attach some screenshots from chart footage from the GH3 and older one I shot in the GH2 and also some examples from the new Canon C100 which costs about 5 times more. :)

The chart was shot with Natural -5 -4 0 -5 with the GH3. It will be a tad softer with -5 but -4 is pretty good example of the GH3 image. It is extremely well balanced and reminds of the GH2 but better and more controllable! The low contrast at -5 is also very nice.

There's an image comparing the OM-D sensor and GH3 in Lightroom RAW... The GH3 image was a tad shaky but compare the shadow/noise/colour etc. ;) And there's a sample showing a long exposure at ISO3200 and 5 minutes, it's unbelievably clean for an m43 camera. I also attached some grade tests and smooth gradation etc. Very limited time to post so putting out these random files and ideas, hope it gives you some nice input on the shiny new GH3...

Let me know if the attachments don't work, trying to upload from my jailbroken iPad :)

C100_AVCHD_reschart.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH2_24p_chart_Zeiss_50_1.4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH3_24p_ALL-I_chart_PanaLeica25_F4_-5-40-5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Comparing_C100_C100_graded_ISO400.jpg
    1872 x 1001 - 2M
    Comparing_C100_GH3_graded_ISO400.jpg
    1798 x 983 - 1M
    LowContrast_1_GH3_graded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    LowContrast_1_GH3_ungraded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    LowContrast_2_GH3_graded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    LowContrast_2_GH3_ungraded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH3_vs_OM-D_sensor.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    RAW_ISO3200_5min_LNR.jpg
    2048 x 1365 - 2M
    Screenshot_1080p_1_cinematic_tone.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screenshot_1080p_2_gradation.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screenshot_1080p_3_shadow_detail.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screenshot_1080p_4_highlight_detail.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @ cablefreak76

thanks. the gh3 image looks quite clean and the gradations, as you mentioned, look particularly smooth.

• @cablefreak76 thanks for the chart test. I agree that the gh3 is better than the gh2 in that test. Did you use any hacks for the gh2? Based on those charts I would say the C100 is the winner, but not 5 times better than the gh3 ;)

keep on coming with tests :)

• Compared today footage from my patched GH2 (50i@32Mb/s) with my new GH3 (50p@50Mb/s) side by side. The GH3 footage clearly shows more aliasing artifacts especially with hand held scenes. Used the Pana 14-45@20mm with both cameras.

• The OMD vs GH3, hmm, can you make the original raw's available and maybe a few more, of the same image off a tripod or ie guaranteed steady image, as it is the OMD seems some way ahead from this? not just sharpness but detail?

• As i said it before, GH3 has more detail, but has problems with lines about 45º. Part of having more detail in capture (sensor wise) is having more moire on colors on prossesing.

Ive been quiet, but seeing all footage. GH3 has moire problems, and also has better DR and better codecs. Trade of. Some hacks may overcome this by fixing matrixes, and improving other aspects of the image prossesing. Better bit rate may not improve detail, as GH3 out of the box is as detailed as GH2 hacked, wich is very compeling for a 2 year model upgrade.

THEY COULDNT MAKE BETTER IMAGE WITHOUT INCREASING BIT RATE, SO THEY CHOOSE BETER SENSOR FOR IT.

This sensor makes moire, but renders good image at lower bitrates.

The real question is. IF GH2 HAD CODECS AND PROSSESOR FROM GH3, WOULD IT BE BETTER?

Hack is a must.

• @cablefreak76 in the OMD-GH3 image comparison i must say i like the look of the shadows better in GH3 but the OMD has in this test much more detail. You said it was shaky, i would, like @adventsam, like to see a tripod comparison so the shaky bit is out of the equation...

• The i frame sizes really aren't that big for any of the 50/72Mbps modes - its all comfortably tuned to high profile 5.0. It would indeed be interesting to see how far it could be pushed internally (processing and memory constrictions of course) but only VK will be able to answer that question. And, if he chooses to. It also could take quite some time. For a lot of situations the GH3 as it is, is a very able camera.

• @VK Thanks for the invite but im neither crying or imagining anything? Thanks though.

Gh3 looks to be a great cam for both stills and video. Moire can be worked around that is true. Still its a pain in the butt sometimes!

• Thanks for the invite but im neither crying or imagining anything? Thanks though.

If you carefully read the text it does not state that you are imagining something.
    As for other part - it is just song and topic title come from famous 25p topic.

• @endotoxic "Part of having more detail in capture (sensor wise) is having more moire on colors on prossesing."

Nah, I'm not sure this is the reason. Remember the sampling theorem; f < 0,5fs. In any sampling system there must be a anti-alising filter to avoid aliasing as f comes close to 0,5fs. A picture is sampled both in the horizontal and vertical domain (and video in the time dimension as well). The optical low pass filter in front of the sensor is designed to to this, but in order to get optimal sharpnes for most source material there is trade offs...

"THEY COULDNT MAKE BETTER IMAGE WITHOUT INCREASING BIT RATE, SO THEY CHOOSE BETER SENSOR FOR IT."

The chose a sensor and optical filter which is more tuned for details in stills versus an more effective optical low pass filter sutaible to blurr the image enough to avoid the most side effects in video.

• @EspenB so you say it is mainly the LPF ?

• A better version than previously but Vimeo seems to have encoding problems...

• I got my GH3 today and I can only say, it is a dream

• Is the 14-42 X Lens good enough to use with the GH3 for stills and videos? Around that price range is there any better?

• sorry, I have not the 14-42mm but I have a 20mm, 25mm Nokton, 14-140mm ... etc. .. and all looks great for me !!! and the AF is extrem good

• @PhilMyself, that looks amazing. Great job!!

• @HillTop1 great video. Question, and maybe this is wrong impression, but I find the way that the gh3 renders bokeh (and out of focus generally) is a little closer to the fs100 and generally sony. Did you notice this?

It's a great vid, don't get me wrong... and it may just be vimeo, but curious on your impressions.

• @JDN, did you download the video from vimeo? And I never played with fs100 or any sony footage so I can't compare the two.

• @PhilMyself - amazing job and scenes. And the perfectly matched music is a boon. Thanks.

• @JDN Bokeh rendition is a lens feature.

• I hear war drums ...