Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm F2.0 Samyang Rokinon lens

• 12 lenses in 10 groups, 3 ED lenses
    • F22 aperture
    • 20cm minimum focus distance
    • Price will be around $399
    • All APS-C mirrorless mounts Canon M, Fujifilm X, SOny E and Samsung NX mounts. And also m43 mount.

Available at:

nikon_v52.jpg
    578 x 554 - 48K
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS Manual Focus Lens Sony E Mount, $229

https://www.adorama.com/rk122se.html

• Killer price on a killer lens. I use mine on my Sony A6000 for Astrophotography. It's amazing.

• Rokinon 12mm F/2.0 Ultra Wide, m43, $274

https://www.adorama.com/rkrk12mmftsl.html

• Rokinon RK12M-MFT-SIL 12mm F2.0 Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Olympus/Panasonic, $284 deal

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-RK12M-FX-SIL-Fujifilm-X-Mount-Cameras/dp/B00K3T3IYS/

• Review

sample515.jpg
    738 x 490 - 65K

The lens provides excellent sharpness at the center. At f/2 the result is already excellent.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/08/26/samyang-rokinon-12mm-f2-review/

img1244.jpg
    800 x 503 - 100K
  • Testing the Rokinon 12mm on the Samsung NX500 (using DIS) and on the Samsung NX500 (using a 3-axis gimbal):

• Thanks, even the cine Rokinons that I've used have had inaccurate marks and I've had to re-chart them so I was almost expecting that.
    I already have a set of Nikkors that I'm very happy with, just looking for a prime to complement them on the wide end.

• Can anyone who has the photo version comment on the smoothness of the focus ring?

Mine is a touch harder than I'ld like

Other very subjective thoughts: my copy passes way infinite mark which is a big annoyance and yet the only one I really encounter. There's some distortion but something not "unpleasant" to my eye. Tack sharp wide open, CAs well under control, nice colours, bokeh and flare are OK; useful MFD.

This was the last µFT lens I bought and other than $, compactness and weight were important factors. BUT if today I was starting a glass' team from scratch, I would totally go with nikkor or rokkors and a SB.
    12mm edited still, fuji Pro 400H flavour =)

• I'm considering picking up either the cine or standard version of this lens, it would primarily be used for photography with some video shooting so I'm leaning towards the photo version because it is a little less bulky without the lens gears and I rarely use a follow focus when shooting video anyways.
    Can anyone who has the photo version comment on the smoothness of the focus ring? I've read mixed reviews ranging from it being stiff to smooth.

• oops, sorry for the double post, I didn't notice it was already uploaded. Sorry:-)

• Hello All! I just wanted to upload a video I shot with the Samyang 12mm T2.2 Cinema lens while in Las Vegas for NAB. Unfortunately I had lousy luck with this lens. In Fact, it took 4 copies to get a useable lens due to extremely stiff focusing barrels, to make matters worse, the 4th copy was by far the softest of the four. I didn't feel like going through the process of re-packaging the lens and driving to UPS AGAIN!! Anyways below is the video link. I didn't use a tripod, all handheld or simply setting the camera on the ground, walls, mailboxes, etc... It was shot on a gh4, and a couple shots were g6. This upload is only the 1080 version. Thanks for watching:-)

This is an excellent optic that produces images with excellent sharpness, low distortion and low CA.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-12mm-f-2-0-ncs-cs-mft-lens-review-26616

sales7.jpg
    669 x 482 - 56K
    sales8.jpg
    800 x 550 - 69K
  • Can someone with the Samyang 12mm T2.2 confirm if it will vignette with a 55mm filter on a BMPCC?

• any footage with gh4??

• can you (resp. somebody) tell how the 12mm intercuts with contax zeiss lenses? thinking about getting it for the wide end, as the contax 18 isn't supposed to be too good and still is quite pricey.

thanks for any information!

• A quick thus superficial mini review =)

I had been looking to WD lenses 4 a while and finally got the normal version of the roki 12mm f2 for µFT

- Very compact and quite well built, though its shell is mostly plastic OTOH keeps it practical; meaning light
    - Mount is one piece of very solid metal, 3 screws... I haven't declicked it yet so can't talk of easiness of op
    - Hood and cap are well implemented and no fuzz, 67mm filter thread is just perfect size 4 me
    - Focus is easy, 24mm equiv :P, big plastic ring (no rubber) with about 90º throw and around 20 cm minimum FD
    - I like how contrasts and renders colours, It is extremely sharp wide open; you can use it f2 with no sweet
    - Wide open it can CA's a bit but overall it's super well controlled
    - Bokeh (6 blades) is quite ok
    - Flare is ok
    - Yes it distorts noticeably, but specially for video it is not unpleasing - see Primo distortion and use in cinema
    - IMO cuts well with lumix and µFT native lenses - as reference I also have panny 14-140, 20mm pancake and oly 45mm f1.8

What I don't like it is mostly related with focus implementation. It focus way beyond infinite #1 (???) - that's very annoying - also the focus ring could be nicer to the touch and a bit more loose/smooth and because asking does not cost anything double the throw. Im my opinion if cinema version fixes specially #1 it's worth it.

Even if not this is a good bong from the brick, I mean bang for the buck =)

Models always at hand and free, well more or less
    imageimage
    100% crop screengrab of worst case

These images have obviously been edited (colours are not yet 100%, but as examples will do); Fuji 160 Pro style