Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Gh2 shutter priority in 24p
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • The three controls of exposure are aperture (diameter of opening), shutter speed (how long light is allowed in to the sensor) and ISO setting (how sensitive to light the sensor is set). Video is a VERY different beast for effects of shutter on the resultant files than still shooting. Which is why when shooting video yea, you're supposed to keep the shutter set for a specific "feel" throughout your shooting.

Google for demonstrations and explanations of cinematic/video such as this: http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/shutter-angle-tutorial

Note that when you see a bar below one of the examples with " 45* 90* 180* 360* " on it, hover over each (or click) and you can see what the above situation would look like with different effective shutter speeds.

A "360" shutter is a shutter-speed the same as your frame-rate or "fps". If you are shooting at 30 frames per second and your shutter is at 1/30th, you've got a "360" shutter. A 180* shutter is double your fps, and is one that our brains are sorta used to because it's the main one we've seen in movies over the years. 90* and 45* shutter "angles" are not used very often, and mostly for effect. Or ... from inexperience. Or at times, because you have to because of light as it exists just to get the shot.

• Thanks for the info everyone. The thing i.dont understand is im.constantly reading not to mess with the shutter speed but in manual mode its an option along with aperature. Does anyone have consistent success just rolling in P mode or is that too risky for shutter problems? I have a tough time maintaining focus lol like to have less to tend to but i love the camera and ill learn eventually thanks again. Im.still using auto.iso also lol.

• Keep it in shutter priority in the creative movie mode, but lock exposure ( and focus) with the AE/FL button or assign just the AE lock to that button. Have a read of the manual.

• Take control of your camera, go all manual.

• If there's some way you can avoid using an auto-exposure mode while filming, I suggest doing so. I've tested some shutter-priority auto with my GH3, and got what I realistically expected ... which is to say occasionally spot-on exposure, but if say I panned or something bright or dark moved through the scene ... there'd be that weird mental effect of sudden changes in lightness to everything ... so I went back to manually setting exposure.

Takes almost no time to do, and gives accurate results every time ...

• Using the Lumix G 14-140 f/4.0 lens you can avoid noticeable automatic stepping of the aperture only by fixing the aperture, or by allowing the camera to select the shutter speed automatically in addition to the aperture (P exposure mode, for example).