Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by

From the start we felt the GH4 could be the most significant camera Panasonic has released so far, and after using it for almost two weeks we believe it will be a genuine game-changer. Not only is it a superior performer for still image capture, but to offer such a wide range of video options – many of them meeting professional requirements – puts the icing on an already attractive cake and takes the camera into areas we could only dream about previously.

http://photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4

sales60.jpg
    597 x 449 - 52K
  • @jleo, I saw the shootout video on 43rumours. I don't own either of the 3 shootout cams yet (still on my GH2's), so I wanted to check what the real detail differences are in 1080p. I took a screencap and matched the levels, saturation & temperatures in Photoshop (more or less). Then applied sharpening to the Pocket & 5DIII to match the GH4 (attached).

At 1080p the differences are much smaller than people think from unprocessed (or non-matching processed) images. Sure the 4k detail is there, and you can zoom/stabilise etc. But otherwise either camera can give you a pretty similar 1080p image detail-wise imo. The bigger issue for me is the horrible moire on the Pocket (otherwise seems great).

(remember that different lenses were used, so DOF is different and not possible to exactly match sharpness in fore/background)

Original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1008K
    Matched.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • From Camera Zone: The new Panasonic GH4 is put to the test in a shootout with the Canon 5D MarkIII & Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Panasonic : Introducing 4K Video Advantages – A Revolution in Videography

• @x_worpig_x

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your feedback....

• @Azo the GH4 is much better for stills. I also love holding the GH4 over the gh2. It feels really nice in the hands. Haven't been doing much video, but so far its really great.

• From a DPReview poster:

• Hey guys how is this camera for stills in comparison to the GH2. I know there are reviews online but I would like to hear opinions from the Personal View community.

• @DirectorBob

Adobe updates CR every few weeks for the new cams that are out ... can't think of a "major" camera that was more than 16 days or so after 'release' for Adobe to get an updated ACR algo out to us. So ... could be a week more, but that should be tops. Hey, it's one of the pains of getting a new toy on first ship-date, you know? Everything in life has its ups & downs ... ;-)

• @DirectorBob What I've been doing instead of using SilkyPix, which I loathe, is shooting RAW + jpeg. I review the jpegs to see which pics I really want and then I use a hex editor to make them work in ACR. All you have to do is search and replace GH3 with GH4 and save the files. Once you do that they open up in ACR no problem.

It would be awesome if some programmer type could write a batch utility to do that with a folder of RW2 images. Anyone like that around here? ;-)

I hope Adobe updates ACR soon....

• Why do you always post flower examples?

Not always. Otherwise, it is usually only tolerable photos from the ones made by photo test site :-)

• @AdamT Thanks man. Initially I didn't see it buried in the options.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Why do you always post flower examples?

• For RAW, only Silkypix, from Panasonic can open RAW photos yet.

• I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this question (there are so many now and so many pages - I did a search and did not find the answer). How can I open GH4 raw photo files? The latest Photoshop Camera Raw update will not open them. Let me say that this is a HUGE issue and HUGE disappointment. I bought the camera to be both a still camera and a video camera. If I cannot open raw photo files, then I can't even consider it for still work. Anyone have an answer to this issue other than having a useless still camera until, hopefully, an eventual update from Adobe?

• 'I Love light - LightPainting mini Documentary' made with the GH4 in low light condition, the still with the E-M10.

• French manual (fonctions avancées/advanced features) : http://panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DMC-GH4PC/OI/vqt5h97/vqt5h97.pdf

• You have to set the system frequency to 24hz in order to use C4K.

• Apologies if this has been covered already, but has anyone had problems recording in cinema 4K (4096x2160)? The option to record in UHD (3840x2160) is there but my 4K recording options aren't available under MOV or MP4. I'm using both a Transcend 64GB class 3 and a PNY class 1, both capable of writing at 90Mb/s. Thanks.

• Yes, maddog15 is right. It is VBR. I haven't gotten a scene hitting 100Mbs yet so have been averaging around 80Mbs.

• @olli66 45 minutes is the time or space left on the card at that moment.

I think this is right: The "math" is a ballpark estimate for reference only. With a Variable Bit Rate the camera's not always shooting at a constant 100Mbs. The time left on the card can also fluctuate some as the camera either records bright detailed scenes (makes the bit rate ramp up using more card space) or dark less detailed scenes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.