Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tascam DR-40
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • Can I hook the DR-40 directly to a radio or computer to record the audio output? The directions are not too clear to me about this.

• DR-40 Firmware update 1.10 is now available.

The new update allows independent control over the two input levels, so you can match up different microphones. The delay setting has also been expanded, especially useful for live recordings when the console is far away from the band.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/downloads/

• Hey there, I'm currently traveling around the world and will be for the foreseeable future and am looking for a recorder that's small and portable with at least 4 seperate recording tracks. The DR-40 looks like it fits the bill. As I will be using only the internal mics all I want to know is, can I record or overdub 4 seperate tracks using only the internal mics? (dont mind if its only mono recordings) I only have 2 guitar tracks and 2 vocal tracks to record but not sure if I can only multitrack with external mics? Just want something to get my ideas down but need to be able to mutitrack without external mics. Hope someone can give me some advice as to whether this can be done or if there's something better out there for me for around the same price?

cheers

• The DR-40 only has 2 internal mics, so by design, you would need to use the external mics as well to record 4 simultaneous tracks. When you record 4 channels, you end up with 2 stereo files.

When overdubbing, I believe you can only record up to a single stereo file (2 channels) as you are already playing back a previously-recorded file.

More info on 4 channel recording starts on page 57 of the DR-40 manual, which you can download here: http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/downloads/

• I really like my DR-40. Just found out that I can use my small iPod USB-AC adapter (with a standard USB to USB mini cable) to power the unit. No need to buy the big AC brick that Tascam is selling. The firmware upgrade with independent recording volume for EXT 1 and 2 really made the device much more useful.

• Cheers for the feedback Jive. Just bought the Tascam IO2 instead though which is for use with the ipod, iphone or ipad. It is basically the same 2 condenser mics as the DR-40 which plug straight into the unit. You can download a multitrack app (harmonicdog) which is pretty much exactly what I needed as i had my ipod with me anyway. This actually gives a pretty good recording for what it is and it only cost me $70 Australian. Definatley reccomended if you use any of the apple hardware and you want to save some cash and still produce a decent recording. Cheers

• Sorry that was the Tascam IM2

• @lewball82 Looks like a pretty handy solution for traveling if you already have an iPhone

• Amazon has the DR-40 for just over $137 shipped...15% off the listed price shows up at checkout. Finally pulled the trigger on one.

• @skiandbike Good luck on getting a unit without issues. I've heard there are some out there...

• @Jive Any specifics on the issues to look for when I receive it?

• Google "helicopter noise". My unit had this issue, as did others in this thread, and Google should provide more info.

Basically though, if you have this issue, it's impossible NOT to notice (especially at higher input levels)

• Apparently there was a second firmware update for the DR-40 back in June, v1.20. I just happened to check their website today and saw it: http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/downloads/

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet to see if the helicopter noise issue has been fixed - though the release notes don't mention anything.

• Guys how to best connect electret small mike to DR-40?

• One mic that I have that can connect directly to the back of the DR-40's XLR input is the AKG C430.

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,278,pid,278,nodeid,2,_language,EN,country,ENUS,view,specs.html

It needs phantom though, which might drain batteries faster, but with a windscreen over the mic it works pretty well.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev What type of connector does the mic use? 3.5mm?

• @fosterchen

No, I mean existing small lavel electret mike.

• Hopefully I'm understanding this properly but I had this same problem with my first wireless mics on my HVX200. I used this adapter below which I'm sure everyone knows, along with this mono to stereo pin. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888539-REG/CablesToGo_03174_3_5mm_Stereo_Female_to.html

Is this the problem you are having? Is this for Dieter?

The only problem is that with this many connections, my audio would take a hit easily. I had to be very careful and I think it might have even picked up RF hits easier from all the added points of exposure. Also, with the DR40, I have to turn off the two on board mics when I'm using wireless lavs. They don't seem to get along and I'm not using cheap wireless. Just an FYI.

108423.jpg
    190 x 674 - 97K
  • @vicharris

Question was not about HVX200, but about specific recorder tha only have XLR and 6.3mm inputs.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I know this is about the DR40, which I use. I see the topic. I brought that up because I had the same problem on the HVX and that is how I fixed it with those XLR inputs. I figured the solution would be the same since it worked for me on my DR40.

• In this case I do not understand you.

Problem is not with connector, problem is with proper voltage required by electret mike.

• Oh, I see. Does the mic have a battery or does it need some phantom power?

• @vicharris

It is simple electret mik with 3.5mm plug, no battery. And yes, EVERY electret microphone needs phantom power (just not 48v :-) ).

• For what its worth, I've used this for about a year now to record master audio off a sound devices mix pre-d (while feeding guide/backup track to gh2 via the MixPreD's TA3 output). I've had no issues with the quality of the audio. However, it is important to note that if unless you are running your sound through a mixer, you are going to have some of the issues you've mentioned in this forum -- I did extensive testing and believe me, no external audio recorder sounds perfectly clean.

Probably obvious, but I find people will buy another lens before they invest in a mixer and this is not the right choice, particularly now that the mix pre d is out as it is not only cheap, but will server as your audio suite for a NLE (it has USB audio out). There's a lovely and small portabrace bag that goes with it, with just enough room for 2 lavs and an external recorder and I've found it to be the solution for run and gun and studio work. The ability to send a guide track via TA3 is also lovely. I've never had to use it because the tascam has failed, but if I need to cut down something quick for a client, the onboard gh2 audio is perfectly fine for any compressed delivery and I can pluralize the master audio when it comes time for final delivery.

I love camera gear -- too much -- I find you can spend and spend and spend on it. What's nice about audio is that it has reached its apex long ago and all you need to do is buy the right thing once and forget it (and have more money for camera gear down the road).

One small note about the tascam, after a year of use I am finding the headphone jack starting to get glitchy/sporadic. May still be under warranty so may send it back.