Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What are you guys using for audio recording with your DSLR?
  • 155 Replies sorted by
  • my 2 cents here- zoom h1 is unbeatable for on the road documentary stuff with a host :) incredible sound, and no headache whatsoever. pluraleyes - and youre set. :)
  • I have had the H1 for some time, just bought the h4n. For simple mono/stereo reccording with lav or shotgun, there is no audiable difference in record quality. The extra features and Xlr inputs are hany though.
  • @DrDave - I think spending as much of your budget as you can afford on mics is not a bad strategy. That Schoeps mic will last you a lifetime. I made the same decision that the DR-680 was the best bang for the buck and I've been very happy with it. If I need timecode for a project, I rent a 744T.

@Rambo - I don't have the H4n but I'm not surprised they sound the same. I expect they both use the same preamp circuit.
  • @DouglasHorn, yep you may be right. The internal mics are much better on the h4n though, but it's a big chunk of hardware to shove 4inchs from someones gob just to get the best tone with the sponge windshield on. H1 almost looks like a hand mic with windshield. (handling noise touching the casing of h4n is huge improvement over H1)
  • I'm not sure there is a big difference but I prefer the mics on the H2 of the zooms. Of course, it could just be sample variance.
  • @macalincag

I like your line of thinking. The app FiRe 2 looks much more featured and 1/4 the price though. I'm seriously now considering an iPod Touch with FiRe 2 and a MixPre-D.

Beauty of it, is being able to backup or deliver sound files via Dropbox, almost immediately. Or FTP, Soundcloud and a few others. Using AIFF, FLAC, Wav, etc at 16-bit 48khz.
  • @stonebat > camera body should have taken digital audio a while ago, it's a shame most of them still can't (and won't in a near future).

@DouglasHorn > I think you're right regarding spending most of the budget on mics. Even if every single part is important, great microphones (and knowing how to use them) will shape most of your sound. Cheap mike often sounds all "whoa" when listened alone but can't stand direct comparison with their higher end brothers. I used a Sennheiser MKH416 on my boom for a while and I was happy with it ... until I used Schoeps mikes.

The rig I'm currently using :

Sennheiser 5000 series radio mic with Tram TR50 or Sanken COS11 lavs
    Schoeps CMIT-5U on boom (either with rycote or cinela mount)
    AAS Mixy field mixer
    Sony PCM-M10 recorder

No audio feed to the cam (Canon EOS), clap sync.

I'm very happy with the PCM-M10, it's a really small and well built unit, with quite good audio quality for the price and incredible battery life (almost 24 hour with a pair of NiMh batteries). The provided remote is very useful but the buttons are not "clicky" enough to be absolutely sure that recording is engaged without a look to the unit, so be careful when using it on fast jobs. The on-board mike quality was a nice surprise too.

When more tracks or TC is needed I usually rent a Sound Devices 744T or 788T.

I'll probably buy either a Zaxcom Nomad or an AAS 4Minx in the next six month.
  • Do the Rode mics come with the necessary cable to hook them to a GH2 or do you need to buy an additional cable/adapter?
  • @mpgxsvcd I would a imagine you need a 3.5 to 2.5 stereo adapter. Just be careful not to get the cellphone ones that have 3 rings on the plug, the proper one should have only two rings.
  • @No_SuRReNDeR so the GH2 is a 2.5mm jack right?
  • @mpgxsvcd Yeah that's right just like I said be careful not get the cellphone adapters they don't work right. Go to a guitar center or something and get the right adapter. Problem with ordering online is ...you don't always get whats in the picture.
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

I just ordered this adapter. Is this the right one?

Hosa Technology
    GMP-467 - Right Angle Adapter

3.5mm Mini Female to 2.5mm Sub-Mini
    Right Angled
    Stereo Connections

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=GMP-467&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
  • Does anyone know if the rode microphones come with a cable at all? Do they include the 3.5mm with the rode mics?
  • This is the Hosa adapter I use
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-Stereo-3-5mm-F-2-5mm-M-Angle-Adapter-GMP-467-STSI-/140471627226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b4c2edda
    Most video mikes have at a minimum a 3.5mm, some have XLR or RCS as well, check the product description.
  • @mpgxsvcd Yeah that looks right to me. as long as it doesnt have the 3 black stripes around it your good.
  • I have a Roede Stereo Mic and the only plug that works for me is the ones with 3 rings. It records in stereo and it identifies that external mic is there. The ones with 2 rings do not trigger external mic for me.
  • Thanks for the thoughts,... haha, i bought it so i will let you all know.
  • @Rambo What do you want to use it for ?
  • @Tomaso the 3 contact rings typically means it supports a headset and is for a cell phone...strange that this has not caused you issues. Every 3 ring one I tried to use caused horrible noise artifacts.
  • @Rambo The attack and release (basically how fast it reacts to loud sound and then how fast it goes back to normal when things get quiet) are probably optimised for speech. I guess it might be ok for speech applications but if it is, it will probably do horrible things to music. But as @duch says, depends what you want to use it for. It will never replace being careful with audio levels but could be useful in extremely uncontrolled situations where you'd otherwise get distortion.
  • Yes i'm in uncontrolled live situations outdoor usually near or on the ocean. Voice capture only and cannot use a sound person, so no one to ride gain/levels etc. I use a Senny K6 mounted up or down on a tripod as close as possible to the voice without being in the frame. Yes i use lavs as well. I figured it may be better than the compressor/limiter in the Zoom h4n and also act as preamp.
  • @Rambo

Check new Tascam DR100 MK II.
  • Darn when is it shipping!?
  • I always see people talk between low end and highend audio, I mean from zoom h4n to sound devices. I have been always going from one side to the other. Doing some research and some price change has brought two recorders that people don't seem to talk at all and could be the end and be all budget of middle ground of audio recorders.

The two are the Fostex FR-2LE ($ 600) and the Tascam HD-P2 ($ 650/700). If you look here http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm they seem to be very very close to the sound devices. If you go here http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html and listen to the fostex it is a bit difficult to find any difference to the sound devices. The best test is with the dynamic mic where the preamps are really stressed, just listen to the zoom h4n to hear the difference compared to the SD 722 and Fostex.

Now I am no expert in sound, but I feel that these two recorders are really interesting for the low buget people. A very very close sound quality Sound device recorder for about $ 600/700 all in one. Ok they are about twice the price of a zoom recorder, but about 3 time less a sound device recorder and quality wise much closer to the latter. It would be interesting to get the more knowledgeable sound guys opinion.