Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Neway CK700-HOX, 1280x800 IPS monitor with vectorscope and waveform
  • 123 Replies sorted by
  • no stupid guides :(..how can they forget about such an important thing , thanks peaceonearth

• I just got mine today, but seem to be having trouble finding where to connect the DC power into. anybody have an idea?

• Nevermind, weird on the XLR

• I am missing a battery indicator :-/

• Mine just arrived. Looks well made. Will test it out over the weekend.

• How are the scopes? Are they easy to read? Are they responsive? Can they go full screen?

• @iAchilles Actually that's quite a standard for power with pro gear…

• Got my Neway CK700-HOX, tested it with my GH2 -> not totaly happy: Good Hardware, not so good software.

Pros

• Good display, bright, contrasty

• Solid built, part of the housing is metall

• Lots of input options, lots of display options

Cons

• Pixel-to-Pixel only display the LEFT part of the image, not the centre part (answer from Neway: "...can't adjust..on CK700-HOX")

• Zoom in position can't be adjusted too (but it looks like as its the centre part of the image)

• When switching from 16:9 (GH2 video native output!) to Pixel-to-pixel or Zoom mode and then back, the monitor defaults to "Full screen" (distorted image with every HDMI input!). 16:9 has to be re-selected every time. This eats up function-buttons (4 buttons is not enough with this problems). (answer from Neway: "Yes, only reset")

• No 2.35:1 or rule-of-thirds(!!!) guidlines. No user adjustable guidlines. (Neway: confirmed)

• Electronical sharpening can't be adjusted. (Neway: confirmed)

• The knobs/software don't reliable track every turn you make (lossing steps).

• Ghost image of the histogram appears every few seconds in the lower right corner. It doesn't matter if scope/histogram is on or off. Very annoying. (Neway: further testing needed)

Bottom line:

I bought the monitor because of its nice features but it turns out, that the software is lacking and many of the good features are not going to be used - when working on a project, I don't have time or patience to concentrate on monitor settings/menus.

A bit disappointed as the monitor has a lot of potential, which is screwed by software.

• Pixel-to-Pixel only display the LEFT part of the image, not the centre part (answer from Neway: "...can't adjust..on CK700-HOX")

It is either a bug that will be fixed or you did not understand how to do it.

Zoom in position can't be adjusted too (but it looks like as its the centre part of the image)

Same.

When switching from 16:9 (GH2 video native output!) to Pixel-to-pixel or Zoom mode and then back, the monitor defaults to "Full screen" (distorted image with every HDMI input!). 16:9 has to be re-selected every time. This eats up function-buttons (4 buttons is not enough with this problems). (answer from Neway: "Yes, only reset")

Can you elaborate with details? As if you go into 1:1 mode switching to using full screen is natural, as it show you window into 16:9 image and must not be 16:9 itself.

No 2.35:1 or rule-of-thirds(!!!) guidlines. No user adjustable guidlines. (Neway: confirmed)

And? I always asked why people need rule of thirds guides instead of first learning phase.

The knobs/software don't reliable track every turn you make (lossing steps).

Where it is important?

Ghost image of the histogram appears every few seconds in the lower right corner. It doesn't matter if scope/histogram is on or off. Very annoying. (Neway: further testing needed)

And it is bug that will be fixed.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I emailed Neway first, they confirmed that 1:1 and zoom area are not selectable.

The monitor is 1280x800 pixels, displaying a HDMI signal results in distortion. Using the 16:9 mode of the monitor corrects this. Making "Full screen" the default for HDMI input doesn't make sense with a 1280x800 display.

The rule-of-thirds guidelines help a lot when trying to get the eyes of the actors at the right position in frame.

When the software gets improved - how do we get our software updated?

• The monitor is 1280x800 pixels, displaying a HDMI signal results in distortion. Using the 16:9 mode of the monitor corrects this. Making "Full screen" the default for HDMI input doesn't make sense with a 1280x800 display.

OK, I got wrong your previous text. You mean that it does not remember setting after switch. It is also small bug.

The rule-of-thirds guidelines help a lot when trying to get the eyes of the actors at the right position in frame.

OK. I just observed that no one I know use this guides after short time. But it is good idea to have as much guides as possible, here I agree. Sadly no perfect things exist in this world.

When the software gets improved - how do we get our software updated?

I'll talk with manufacturer and let you know.

• Thanks Vitaliy!

Sounds promising - and I really hope that they can sort out this bugs, as the hardware is very good and also the features are really good (I love the false colour mode for dynamic range checks!).

Just to make things clear: The monitor is great and I will be using it, its just that with the little buggy menu I won't use all features on set as switching between them is to slow (for me).

• More testing:

• 1:1 mode: I connected the Neway to my Mac via DVI-HDMI adapter. The Pixel-to-pixel mode displays the left part of the image only when input is 1080i/720p. When using other modes (pixel screen modes) it displays the centre part. But with the GH2 all inputs are only 1080i/720p.

Strange thing, the maximum selectable resolution of the diplays is 1600x900 - if thats the native screen resolution, it wouldn't be good as all 720/1080 images would be unevenly scaled.

• Ghost image: A red version of the histogram flashes every 10s in the lower right corner - even when no source is connected (see screen grab).
    Normal.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 94K
    PixeltoPixel.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 99K
    Histo-Flash.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 110K
  • hmm, the focus peaking function of this is really not that great. it only works decently in high contrast areas. ex. peaks well around someone's glasses, but won't peak in say, someones hair at all.

i'm comparing this to a bmpc and every other camera with focus peaking that i've had (af100, hmc150). if i turn on the focus peaking of those cameras like the bmpc, the in camera focus peaking shows up great on the monitor. but the in monitor focus peaking is really pitiful. really not useful on my gh3, which has no in camera focus peaking. kind of disappointed.

• @SeekingHeartwood

Try to play with settings like sharpness and such.

• @SeekingHeartwood:

The peaking of MANY monitors is not very good on low contrast areas. The "better" working peakings are often combined with a slight oversharpening filter (BUT are also showing quite often way too much as sharp - Which is also not that helpful). Btw.: As Vitalyiy mentioned: Try to adjust the sharpness. Just try to turn it up a little bit, so the peaking is working better - IF there is an option - "Psyco" mentioned that there is none. AND there should be also an option to adjust the peaking strength somewhere. It´s one of the new features of this monitor (as far as I know it should be possible - like the values of the audio level meter, the exposure function and so on).

@Psyco:

Hmm. The resolution is for sure not shown right. It´s only showing the max resolution (it´s recognizing from the monitor). The native resolution is for sure 1280x800. About the histogram: Is it also flashing red if you let it turned on? (Or if there is the vectorscope for example shown?) If it´s only the case while there is nothing shown, it´s at least usable as an field monitor. I hope for you, that there will be an option for a software update. Because it seems to deliver a nice / evenly backlit image.

• no menu option for adjusting sharpness.... no other options effect the peaking functionality

also the peaking makes all the onscreen data and guidelines peak red...

• @SeekingHeartwood:

Hmm. That´s bad. About the peaking of the onscreen data: Only the data shown from the camera - right? So it´s not peaking the histogram for example too (the one of the monitor)? Because that would be quite bad -.- . The peaking of the camera image is normal (also of the overlays) - Because it´s coming over the HDMI as standard image input.

All in all it´s as always: It seems to be too early to get the monitor. Like with many other cheaper monitors (with the H056 it was the same for example - Altough there the problems were quite small). Btw.: One question: How responsive is the screen? Is it lagging / showing any "ghosting" when moving the image for example (high contrast areas are good for that -> A black cable in front of a white wall is showing such problems quite good). Because that´s the only problem of the H056 V2 I have actually (and it´s - just sometimes - a little bit annoying ^^).

• someone post real photos? thanks :)

• did a little more testing and had a few more comments. the image of the blackmagic pocket cam is so low contrast in film log mode that the focus peaking of the monitor will not work. the peaking functionality is better with my gh3 because of it's video color range output, still not great, but better.

and already one of the side screw mounts of the camera is broken, disappointing

• @SeekingHeartwood Usually what we've been doing when shooting with BM cameras is boost up saturation and contrast as much as possible to get as close as you can after coloring. Are you using the stock settings or have you already boosted everything? I do the same with my Ikan D5w. I've actually created profiles for both cameras so I can go back and forth.

• @vicharris

thanks for you suggestions. unfortunately changing contrast/saturation doesn't effect the in monitor peaking. the solution i have for now is to just use the in camera peaking functionality. it works astoundingly better than the in monitor peaking.

really curious about your ikan d5w though, i was originally deciding between this and the ikan but the ikan is so much more expensive. i hate to say it, but the image quality of this neway is quite poor, if the image quality of the ikan is significantly better, i'll have to make the switch

• @SeekingHeartwood I can't remember, are you in LA?

• LA area, long beach

• Well when my Ikan comes back from the shop we can do a head to head but it seems others are satisfied with the screen so far. Maybe you just got a bad one.