Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 wishlist
  • It is Christmas, time of hoping and getting. They are making GH4 now. I think we can affect features it will has. GH3 had many features that users had hoped. Lets not be too modest. Here is my hopelist: Many are valid for GH3 FW update too.

-autoiso in M

-focus peaking obviously

-autoiso limit for video or iso range

-when recording video, ALL exposure values must show in automatic modes. Now those are blocked.

-every menu item programmable to every Fn (maybe not format)

-exposure values programmable to C1,2,3

-more C memory slots

-manual settings for creative mode

-AE/AF lock on-off-on-off etc., during recording

-better EVF resolution and better ocular

-no more useless buttons

-4k video 50/60P (pal/ntsc switchable)

-bigger handgrip, better button layout ergonomics

-flat mode in video which uses whole sensor dyn range

-separate video/photo switch. So all modes and handy buttons is in use for video. And then all settings must be independant for video or photo.

-more options for bracketing. -2, 0,+2 steps would be handy for HDR

-playMODE button to right side. Now it is difficult to use because left hand holds objective.

-adjustable AF-range and mayby towards/backwards function if AF-C is not good enough.

-iso 50 would be handy for video in bright light

-dual memory card slot and option to copy mem card.

-better microphone with wind shield option.

-more WIFI functions and recording options

-stepless aperture change in video

-better (louder) speaker

-more songs to slideshow and simple crossfade option

-if using slower than 1/25s shutter in video camera should go automatically to proper manual mode maybe with warning

-HDR video (dual iso) like ML canon

-faster timelapse (maybe 1/10s interval)

-obviously better and faster sensor. No more rolling shutter in silent mode and 1/100 000s SS.

-120 or more fps with proper resolution

-adjustable autofocus speed in video

-softer and better shaped eyecup

-adjustable tone curve via computer and other modifications like Nikon V1

-electronic stabilator (very handy especially with 4k)

-stepless smart zoom for video like rx10

-video editor with capability to render finished program with simple fades (smartphones have it)

-stepless adjustment wheel for exposure -rx10 has it

-in camera LED light for video

-open source firmware for developing or application store for new features - like sony nex5t

-cinematic look option button: (24P 1/48 ss, greenish/brownish color cast) :)

-red led with text VIDEO because every subject is always asking are you taking a photo or shooting video.

-lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera

-small directional add-on mono microphone which sound you can mix with stereo mike.

• 90 Replies sorted by
  • Closed to make it one single topic, plus announcement this week anyway

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9542/gh4-aka-gh5-4k-video-camera

• To put it in staple words of that Gucci Mane character - well damn.

• So, no need for an external recorder for 422 color?

120fps very smart

• Last rumors in 43rumors:

• G4K has focus peaking
    • There is an attachable XLR adapter
    • H264 codec all intra that give 422 color all intra in 100 mbps. To record this you will need to buy the new P2 Micro card in SD shape made by Panasonic (see image on top)
    • it will be switch-able from 4K and 1080P with various frame rates (can shoot 120fps at 1080P for example)

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-g-4k-has-focus-peaking-no-avchd/

• That is, until 4k takes hold and you can get a 2160p palm-camcorder for $200 at Walmart.

You kinda already can, as there is already cellphones which do "4K". Makes we wonder how long until we see this in a stand alone device for only a few hundred.

• @IronFilm

With Panasonic stating they want the GH4k in the $2,000 and under range, and given the price-point/features of competing "4k" prosumer gear, I believe that this could still be considered well within the "consumer-grade" sphere of products. That is, until 4k takes hold and you can get a 2160p palm-camcorder for $200 at Walmart.

The most base level 4k camera with 10 bit 4:2:2 video capture is currently from Sony and it streets for $5,500. Sony considers that model a semi-pro ENG cam.

Unless Panasonic intends to shock the electronics world with an interchangeable 4k camera that meets or beats the features/quality of the BlackMagic Designs 4k Cinema Camera at half the price, I would imagine the GH4k will be severely gimped in some fashion so it doesn't compete with Panasonic's professional 4k gear. Canon does this all the time.

• @Vesku

How did you break your GH3?

• @IronFilm

Whatever but not a pro camera. It comes from their consumer department. GH3 was introduced as semipro but build quality is so weak that I dont agree. Mine is broken in many ways :)

• @Vesku, the GH4K is hardly a consumer camera at its price and specs level. It is more a hardcore hobbyist / semi-pro / professional / indie level camera.

The "GH5" however will be a consumer level camera (as the GH4K is not the GH3 successor, but the "GH5" will be).

• "...unless you must have interchangeable lenses."

I must.

• Another known fact is that Panasonic will have optional XLR and SDI plug in units available (price TBD), which will again beg the question of whether after kluging together a franken-rig, a regular 4k video camera might be the smarter choice unless you must have interchangeable lenses.

• @Vesku Actually, the reps were stressing that the newer high speed cards were a >requirement< for 2160p recording. These super-speedy cards are also necessary on the various consumer 4k models from Sony, JVC, and others if you wish to record at that resolution. It may be the type of file structure or formatting of the card rather than the speed that might makes these types necessary.

That makes sense since you are quadrupling the pixel density of 1080 and even the Sandisk Extreme Pros could sometimes choke on the All-Intra 1080p hacks found right here.

The cards never reach their theoretical limits anyway and are always over spec'd.

• @JohnTollwannabe

Rec 2020 is so hard that no manufactures are going to use it for a long time. It includes 4k 120Hz and new wider colors space.

I dont think that GH4 would need so fancy mem cards. Sandisk 95MBs is already widespread and I think it is enough for 200Mbs recording. 95MBs is after all 760Mbs.

GH4 sensor is according to rumors so fast that rolling shutter will be very mild. Nikon V1 has already very fast sensor which has practically no RS in video.

• Do not count on ProRes or any other intermediate friendly wrapper or anything close to a visually transparent compression codec. It will probably be AVCHD 2.0 like Sony's consumer 4k camcorders and be a bitch to edit on anything but a supercharged computer. At CES the Panasonic reps were talking about a ~200 Mbps @ 2160p long GOP mode (that will more than likely equate to a ~100 Mbps 1080 All-Intra setting). 24 and 30 fps, but not 60 fps (except for 720 and 1080 modes). Possibly a 120 fps mode at 1080.

Mixed info. on whether it will be 8 bit or 10 bit optimized video with 4:2:2 sampling (Sony's $5,500 portable, bare-bones ENG broadcast camera has 10 bit, but the GH4k is supposed to street at $2,000 or under). Probably clean 1080p via HDMI 2.0 out, but not clean 2160p while recording.

You'll also need a new breed of ultra-fast SD cards being introduced at the same time. Uber expensive, as in the hundreds of dollars, in order to record 2160p and quite possibly for higher frame rate 1080.

The big questions are whether Panasonic's newer in-house sensors will lessen the appearance of moire and aliasing and if the jell-o cam effect is less pronounced. Again, a global shutter at this price point probably won't show up for a few years. Gotta have something for the pro models.

This will not meet the new ITU broadcast standards for UHD because that requires the much wider Rec. 2020 color spacing and other high end features that were just recently unveiled. There was only one expensive UHD TV at CES that met about 80% of the new standards, and that was from Vizio of all brands.

If 4k is your thing, you may want to save your pennies and see if a pure-video cam with more edit friendly codec and higher specs. would be a better choice. There are a number of other prosumer 4k models being introduced in 2014.

• @thougts2uk

After all GH4 will be a consumer camera for big audience. I think that 4:2:2 and 10bit is left for pro line of Panasonic. GH3 has already very good audio.

I think also that there is and will be a big leap with all generations of GH line. I consider GH3 video and features easily better than hacked GH2 ( I have both).

• GH4k is approaching, but is it gonna be any good. The GH3 wasn't really that big a step up over a hacked GH2 especially using Moon T7 which is awesome and you can really push the image in the grade.

What should (but won't) be the minimum spec would include; Apple Prores (like the Black Magic as H264 is old and redundant now), no color shift in the LCD (still can't believe they released the GH2 like that, thought that wouldn't have made it pass the QC checks), 4:2:2 10bit uncompressed HDMI and/or SDI, log color profiles, RAW would be nice but not necessary, oh and lets not forget peaking. Global shutter would be nice, but lets be realistic, they are not gonna give us that. Also slow mo at 120fps at minimum 1080p or even 240fps. Most people that use DSLRs are already used to recording audio externally, so lets hope Panasonic put everything into a good picture, if not I can just see the GH4K failing miserably and people spending their money on the Blackmagic or whatever is next in Canons lineup.

• Uh, except for the finalized body, it looks like Panasonic has already decided on the specs. according to CES reporting. I would assume NAB 2014 will be the unveiling.

I just wonder how good the moire and aliasing from poorly implemented pixel binning will look in 2160p and whether it truly will have a 10 bit codec.

Also doubt it would have a global shutter (absolutely necessary) at the MSRP Panasonic has bandied about.

• Larger Monitor that actually shows what is being recorded.

Larger buttons (especially the record button) with each one programmable to all functions including Aperture, ISO, Magnify, Shutter speed, Zoom etc.

Info (display) button that shows a cycle with ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, recorded and time left, mic and headset level, etc. at the same time.

Ability to easily change all settings while recording in Manual Movie Mode.

Unlimited recording in MP4.

Double the usable High ISO capability.

Change front wheel from vertical to horizontal so I can change settings with one hand while holding- adjusting lens with other.

At least one custom setting for each Photo Style in addition to "default".

• @inqb8tr

Vesku: "lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera"

inqb8tr: "I don't understand how this could work on an intercahngeable lens camera."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/29/olympus-three-new-micro-four-thirds-lenses-bevy-of-new-accessories-unveiled

In the bottom of page:

"Finally, the Automatic Opening Lens Cap LC-37C is an unusual cap that works only with the new M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ lens. When the camera is switched off, the cap automatically closes. Switch it back on, and the cap opens. Couldn't be easier!"

Something like that.

cap1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 33K
    cap2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 37K
    lenscap.jpg
    236 x 236 - 9K
  • I am waiting for years for a good viewfinder! Should have 3Mio dots resolution minimum, should be tiltable, and should have a certain size. Someone talked about 21mm. That would be reasonable. If it is located on the left side of the camera: all the better.

• My wishes or my dreams:

1)Best -Resolution: 2048x1080 from a 4K sensor (down-sampling for a superb quality images that can be used directly in a DCP without upscaling from 1080 or downscaling from 4K) -Sampling: 4:4:4 -14 or 12 bit

2)Average (but still very decent) -2048x1080 from a 2K sensor. -4:2:2 -10bit

3)Bad (It would mean Panasonic only added 4:2:2 sampling compared to a GH2.) -4K -4:2:0 (can become 4:2:2 once you down-sample to 2K) -8bit

Real 24p option, not 23.976 would be awesome too. Better articulated screen with more color balance option to calibrate properly. 100mbs minimum.

• @inqb8tr man, those are great ideas, don't forget tetris ,-)
    Maybe you could kill by putting a "nail-focus" on them, ja ja ja. A sticky something, perhaps next to insect repellant ultrafreq wavinator and before aura/chakra tracking mode menu. A leader board sound soooo fracking good, hey do you want to kickstart those concepts?!! :P • Cheers mate

• @maxr

I always wanted Galaga or Space invaders to be implemented in any piece of gear with display. And wi-fi sync online leader-board that we can keep sticky on the forum. Now that would be great.

Or a "through lens" first person shooter, you have to focus onto an enemy to kill them, like focusing practice game. And leader-board of course .

• I love my Panasonic 12-35 2.8 lens, but I'm in the process of rigging the crap out of my GH3 just so I can add follow focus. I won't be able to accurately focus with that lens because of the variable response feature of the focus by wire lens, so I will also be buying new lenses, oh yes and a 5" external monitor with peaking. If I could just gracefully shift focal plane with the 12-35 I wouldn't need any of this, but here I am spending at least what the original camera and lens cost to get that one feature. So here is my wish item for the GH4(which really could be possibly implemented on the GH3 too). Add a menu item which allows a speed to be set for the external LCD touch focus feature, and then code in one touch for focusing on object closer in field, and two quick touches for focusing on object farther in the field. Now I can have a more cinematic transition from one plane to another with no searching. Does anybody else see value in something like this?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions