Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 wishlist
  • It is Christmas, time of hoping and getting. They are making GH4 now. I think we can affect features it will has. GH3 had many features that users had hoped. Lets not be too modest. Here is my hopelist: Many are valid for GH3 FW update too.

-autoiso in M

-focus peaking obviously

-autoiso limit for video or iso range

-when recording video, ALL exposure values must show in automatic modes. Now those are blocked.

-every menu item programmable to every Fn (maybe not format)

-exposure values programmable to C1,2,3

-more C memory slots

-manual settings for creative mode

-AE/AF lock on-off-on-off etc., during recording

-better EVF resolution and better ocular

-no more useless buttons

-4k video 50/60P (pal/ntsc switchable)

-bigger handgrip, better button layout ergonomics

-flat mode in video which uses whole sensor dyn range

-separate video/photo switch. So all modes and handy buttons is in use for video. And then all settings must be independant for video or photo.

-more options for bracketing. -2, 0,+2 steps would be handy for HDR

-playMODE button to right side. Now it is difficult to use because left hand holds objective.

-adjustable AF-range and mayby towards/backwards function if AF-C is not good enough.

-iso 50 would be handy for video in bright light

-dual memory card slot and option to copy mem card.

-better microphone with wind shield option.

-more WIFI functions and recording options

-stepless aperture change in video

-better (louder) speaker

-more songs to slideshow and simple crossfade option

-if using slower than 1/25s shutter in video camera should go automatically to proper manual mode maybe with warning

-HDR video (dual iso) like ML canon

-faster timelapse (maybe 1/10s interval)

-obviously better and faster sensor. No more rolling shutter in silent mode and 1/100 000s SS.

-120 or more fps with proper resolution

-adjustable autofocus speed in video

-softer and better shaped eyecup

-adjustable tone curve via computer and other modifications like Nikon V1

-electronic stabilator (very handy especially with 4k)

-stepless smart zoom for video like rx10

-video editor with capability to render finished program with simple fades (smartphones have it)

-stepless adjustment wheel for exposure -rx10 has it

-in camera LED light for video

-open source firmware for developing or application store for new features - like sony nex5t

-cinematic look option button: (24P 1/48 ss, greenish/brownish color cast) :)

-red led with text VIDEO because every subject is always asking are you taking a photo or shooting video.

-lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera

-small directional add-on mono microphone which sound you can mix with stereo mike.

• 90 Replies sorted by
  • you don't ask for much

• configurable EV intervals for HDR/Bracketing

• Thread has disappointment potential.

• really ! I'm not sure panasonic engineers have that long of an attention span !

• You guys are so depressing :( "You get nothing even without asking"

• those seem like reasonable requests for maybe the .... GH9 ?

• Just give me 4:2:2 10bits and I'll be happy.

• how much would you be willing to pay for something like this, thats the question =)

• I want a feature where it automatically rejects dog and cat video uploading to youtube and vimeo.

• Considering you're the anti BM, this all pretty much makes sense :)

• @last_SHIFT

It will be terrible marketing decisions. Cats and dog videos modes must be core functionality of any cameras.

• and core consumers :-)

• @MRfanny, @babypanda

Almost every item on my list are firmware stuff. Just thinking matters better and some programming. Other improvements are some button layout and better sensor stuff.

Was it a surprise when GH3 had all the fancy stuff like creative mode, HDR and timelapse? We need ( and they in Panasonic) now some imagination. Smart phones are soon going to kill all cameras. Canon and Nikon are stuck with old stuff. Sony is making still fancy and usefull features (RX10). Panasonic has huge developing power. They had make very innovative cameras in 2013. It is reasonable to wait some brilliant stuff for their becoming flagship model. There has been also rumors of very fast and high quality (4k video) sensor.

I dont know if it will be camera-like or camcorder-like or both. I like GH3 type camera.

P.S. one addition to list

-Pincode type lock so that not everyone could look at photos or mess with settings.

• @Vesku

That's a wish list of Voldemortean proportions!

• @Vesku

I'll upset you a little.

1. GH4 (aka GH5, aka GC 1) is finalized as I know.
    2. Big number of your requests are not firmware, but hardware, even if you do not realize it.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

1. That is great, l cant wait what it will be. FW stuff can still add even if body is ready now.

2. About 24/44 is FW related. You are right, not almost every but still most. Many suggestions are still easy to do.

Interesting to find out if there will be something new that nobody has thought before.

• About 24/44 is FW related. You are right, not almost every but still most. Many suggestions are still easy to do.

Problem is that it seems like you have very vague understanding of how things work, so think that it is easy/possible to add/

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"you have very vague understanding of how things work, so think that it is easy/possible to add/"

I am not an engineer but what is so difficult to add? I can see that Panasonic guys may be unwilling to make some adds we want. For example focus peaking for GH3. They said it is very difficult to add later. I think that they were just too busy with new models. Why make older models better if you want to sell new ones. There are also philosophy matters like auto iso in M. They cant see the need.

Of cource if GH4 is ready it is impossible to add hardware stuff like buttons or wheels or shapes.

• am not an engineer but what is so difficult to add? I can see that Panasonic guys may be unwilling to make some adds we want. For example focus peaking for GH3. They said it is very difficult to add later.

I think it was explained clearly. As for that is hard to add, you have such a list that it will take huge time to explain each one of your list.

Also, we have topic about coming GH4 already. We also have topic about GH3 improvements wish list.

I'll close this one after some time (so you can move it to either of them).

• OK. I was quickly searching and did not find any hope topic for GH4. But maybe I must move to:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6189/cameras-coming-in-2013-including-gh5

or is there better topic?

I am just wondering why everyone is so pessimistic and realistic about future and keep feets on ground. Must one be absolutely realistic when wishing or dreaming something. It is not a PROBLEM to me asking things. It may be a PROBLEM FOR THEM who actually try to make these things.

• I am just wondering why everyone is so pessimistic and realistic about future and keep feets on ground. Must one be absolutely realistic when wishing or dreaming something. It is not a PROBLEM to me asking things. It may be a PROBLEM FOR THEM who actually try to make these things.

Because it is approach of six year old. As you grow up you learn about how world work in reality, its restrictions, rules and bounds.

• That is so sad. I hope that Panasonic could change that. Camera business needs badly new innovations. Sony is in right way. I am a huge Pana fan but If Sony hits sweetspot with their coming cameras I may change brand...

• Camera business needs badly new innovations. Sony is in right way. I am a huge Pana fan but If Sony hits sweetspot with their coming cameras I may change brand...

Camera business don't need any innovation, all it needs is survive coming tough times and still produce good cameras. And for me it seems like tough task by itself.

• Interesting points and it is true that investing to developing needs more money. I am still thinking that those who can afford to make new stuff like Sony will sell also more cameras. I just wonder how long Canon can survive introducing same cameras again and again in slightly different bodys.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions