Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there any way to fix halos/ringing in over-sharpened videos using AE or VirtualDub?
  • Hi PV members,

As you all know, a lot of old DV footage and even GH2's footage (shot on Panasonic lenses) has some ringing/halos (mostly around edges) caused by over-sharpening.

In the Internet there's a lot of ways to fix it a little bit in photos, but I couldn't find a way to fix it in videos using After Effects, VirtualDub or any other software. I've tried a lot of methods to fix it with some blur and high pass filters in After Effects CS6 but none of them helped me a lot (or... I couldn't find a way to properly tune these filters).

I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue very much!

Thanks in advance.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • you could try to generate a matte for your high contrast edges (edge detect filter along with other stuff) and use it as a track matte for an adjustment layer that lowers the edge contrast and adds other helpful filters.

there is now one trick pony for this that I know of ...

• Not VirtualDub, but in Avisynth there are, search for "blinddehalo3"

• @Alex @heradicattor Thanks. Will try the options you proposed.