Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Video-Friendly Lenses for Lumix DSLRs
  • 211 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer - "...is the Tokina 11-16mm one of the most outstanding lenses known to man?"

Once the Tokina 11-16mm has an aperture ring installed, courtesy of Duclos, then yes, very nice:

* Manual aperture ring: Yes
    * Direct-coupled focus ring: Yes
    * Proper focus ring rotation: Yes
    * Non-rotating outer barrel: Yes
    * Non-extending outer barrel: Yes
    * Constant field of view: yes
  • Just wanting to know- is the Tokina 11-16mm one of the most outstanding lenses known to man?

To deserve Duclos treatment? http://ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/PL116.html

Trust me- I REALLY had to squint hard and long to see the 11-16 in that beast!
    shapeimage_22.png
    347 x 230 - 79K
  • The 105 and 135 DC Nikkors are my favorite portrait lenses on FX - gorgeous skin tones and unreal bokeh. Curious to see how they perform on GH2 and video in general.
  • Following up on @Brian202020's post, here is a list of video-friendly Nikkor AF-D primes from 85mm up to 300mm. In addition to possessing excellent optics, these lenses all employ internal focus designs with outer lens barrels that neither extend nor rotate. Unfortunately, this is not the case with Nikon AF-D lenses wider than 85mm - their lens barrels all extend when focusing on close objects. The lenses below all share the following properties:

* Proper focus ring rotation: Yes

Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 105mm f/2 D Defocus Control
    Nikkor AF 135mm f/2 D Defocus Control
    Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED
    Micro-Nikkor AF 200mm f/4 D ED
    Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4 D IF-ED
  • @Brian202020

Thanks for the info on the Nikon 85mm f1.8D, I wasn't aware of its internal focusing mechanism, which it shares with the Nikon 85mm f1.4D. As you indicated above, this means that its outer lens barrel neither extends nor rotates. However, like all Nikkor lenses, it does have proper focus ring rotation in the Nikon direction.
  • Nikon 85mm f1.8, $430
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/84151-GREY/Nikon_1931_AF_Nikkor_85mm_f_1_8D.html
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/85AF.htm

* Proper focus ring rotation: no (yes in the standard Nikon direction)

This is an amazing lens. It was the favorite out of all my lenses for years until I got the Tokina 11-16mm.
  • @last_SHIFT "Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS - $35
    Declicked aperture in a local shop while I wait 5-10 minutes - $12
    Generic Chinese adjustable focus ring (haven't glued it on so I can replace it when it breaks) - $5
    Generic Chinese 52-77mm step up ring - $2

Total= $54, did all of this during a lunch break."

Where is this magical place located? :)
  • Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS - $35
    Declicked aperture in a local shop while I wait 5-10 minutes - $12
    Generic Chinese adjustable focus ring (haven't glued it on so I can replace it when it breaks) - $5
    Generic Chinese 52-77mm step up ring - $2

Total= $54, did all of this during a lunch break.

Dulcos Cine Mod = $250 (without lens, shipping, lead-time, etc).

This is probably the best choice I've ever made in lens gear, the step-less aperture is so fucking smooth. I'm also going to do the same thing with my Nikkor 28/2 AIS - not quite ready to do this on the Nokton 25/0.95 just yet :-)
  • Well..I cant use my 20mm pancake with my rig(I suppose follow focus to be precise) for sure...its just to close to the camera body and I don't have a reversible gear on my Fotga FF.

Personally I like using old M42 Lenses (screw mount) with the adapter.
    1- They are cheap got a nice f/2.8 28mm on Ebay for 28 bucks...
    2- They all reach out to the FF and have a focus stop point --yes they do move in and out but unlike the Panasonic lenses they use a mechanical focus so there is a clear end and beginning when you turn the ring.
    3- There are fast lenses I've seen them ranging from 1.4 to 2.8
    4- They look great, SUPER TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50 for example....
  • I don't understand why people are saying that the Voigtlander 25mm doesn't work with a rig. I just shot the better part of a feature with the lens (on a hacked GH2), using a follow-focus and 4x4 filters in a matte box with no ergonomic problems at all.
  • I am dreaming.... maybe just to see the result.... of the Carl Zeiss LWZ.2 leightweightzoom lens on the GH2.... would just right cover my needs.. and allowances for the next 10 years... ;-)
    anybody tryed out on GH2?... mft mount should be available soon!?

greatings from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Kurt
  • Do the Panasonic lenses work with a FF system?

I understand that the Voigtlander doesn't work with a FF system?

I have the 14-140mm lens and am looking to buy 3 lenses. Which ones do you recommend that offer a consistent color range (different lens brands have different characteristics). Do the Olympus/Panasonic MFT lenses match?
  • @stonebat: The idea of a "cinevised" lens filter is something I've thought of for a long time! The only hard part is that each needs to be made for each model of lens (to fit them) and for the focus marks to match... For new lenses it's ok, but I'd love to see that for my Nikons!
  • yeah, this CT2 looks like it will fit nicely with the Contax Zeiss Planar f1.7 50mm as well.

Where to get one? How much? Googled but couldn't find info.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev how much do those re-housed Zeiss lenses ,and what's the benefit over a mod by Duclos? (his look very good, but are not "re-housed". He adds Delrin focus gears, declicks, and standardizes the front thread.) http://www.ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/zf.html
  • @stonebat yeah, sorry, Zacuto universal donut w/Petroff matte box
  • Where to buy those Cinematics CT.2?
  • @pingpongcomputer Zacuto Universal Donut?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Ah, I see: "Cinematics CT.2". Very nice work.
  • @LPowell
    >Thanks for posting the detailed images of the Zeiss CP.2 prime lenses

This is not Zeiss CP.2 if you look carefully :-)
    This is special housings and conversion done by Cinematics, much cheaper than original CP.2.
  • @markussen
    @kazuo
    Contax Zeiss primes are superb still photography lenses, but as with Nikon AI-S, Canon FD, Pentax K, Minolta MD, and Konica AR primes, they are not really well-suited for use on a rig with follow focus and matte box. Image quality is not the issue here, it's primarily a matter of ergonomics, with cost a secondary factor. The lenses I listed above are all available new or used for less than $500.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Thanks for posting the detailed images of the Zeiss CP.2 prime lenses. These are designed explicitly for video use and are ideal examples of the type of ergonomics that's required. They currently retail for bit less than $4000 each.
  • I use all my lenses and a zacuto matte box with no problem, just have a 77mm step-up ring and slip the elastic from the matte box over the ring

lens-1.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 166K
    lens-2.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 144K
  • It should be relatively easy for lens makers to implement fixed length barrel.

e.g. Nokton 25mm 0.95 could have a "male" filter thread around outer barrel. Screw in a 77mm "female" housing. That housing should cover the max barrel length of the lens.