Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D5300 topic
  • 101 Replies sorted by
  • @Renovatio, it's a common misconception that the AA filter in Photo Cameras is actually effecting video, but it's not. It's too weak to effect video. If they made it strong enough to effectively control Aliasing in video it would ruin the higher resolution Photos. The good news is that it hasn't hurt the D7100 video to be without the AA filter and shouldn't hurt the D5300 either.

Really looking forward to this camera and hope they've fixed some of the issues with the image of the D5200 video. If it has the same detail as the D7100 that would be great. Especially if the low light is stronger with the new Expeed 4 processor.

• @Aria

Thanks Aria, can you tell me more about the issues in video about the d5200? Well, i'm watching about the different price they will have, so d5300 could be really better even in video mode, but we've to see how much better. If it's "a bit"...so what about new expeed 4 improvements?

Thanks

• @Renovatio, the D5200 is still gonna be a nice little camera and I would guess that there is likely to be some image quality improvement mainly due to the Expeed 4 processor, which I'm guessing might help with better Noise Reduction. IMO if they did indeed improve the issue with the D5200 sensor having fixed pattern noise which showed up in underexposed areas, that would be huge. For me that would be the final selling point as i'd use D5300 camera for low light duty.

• sony24.jpg
    800 x 538 - 62K
    sony23.jpg
    800 x 532 - 143K
  • Nikon D5300 is a rather modest upgrade of the previous D5200 model, with new wi-fi and GPS functions, enhanced video recording, a larger LCD screen, a smaller body and the removal of the optical low-pass filter. D5200 owners probably won't find enough to tempt them to upgrade.

Nikon D5300 produced images of excellent quality during the review period. The D5300 produces noise-free JPEG images at ISO 100-1600, with ISO 3200 also looking pretty good. ISO 6400 only shows a little noise, while the fastest settings of ISO 12800 and 25600 are quite a lot noisier and suffer from softening of fine detail and a loss of saturation, but the images are still perfectly usable for small prints and resizing for web use.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d5300_review/

• enhanced video, but how? where did the write about it?

• first original mov files i found (loved the image resolution and noise, i think dr can be improved a little bit tweaking the camera):

http://vimeo.com/user803551/videos

• Now the D53200 is out how low do folks think the price of the D5200 might drop in the next six months?

@Renovatio perhaps they're referring to the new 60fps

• I also downloaded the original file and lifted the luma curve heavily and it is much better I think than the GH2 as noise was well controlled.

• Lifted the shadows and no banding :)

• This video from Gordon Laing (Cameralabs) shows the D5300 in 1600 iso. What do you think? Is it the same performance of D5200 or more noise? Log in to Vimeo and download the original file.

With a bigger optical viewfinder and a larger LCD screen, composing and reviewing shots is a very much improved experience. The D5300 is the only model in the current line-up to offer a flip-out screen and the new 3:2 proportions are much better suited to displaying the D5300's 3:2 stills images. There's a new 1080p60 video mode with higher quality encoding across the board providing better quality video as well as the option for high quality half-speed slow motion playback when edited. The introduction of built-in wi-fi and GPS is likewise something Nikon absolutely had to do and gives the company a lead, for the time being at least, over Canon.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5300/

nex_5t11.jpg
    800 x 532 - 72K
    nex_5t12.jpg
    800 x 531 - 103K
  • @apefos

I don't know, some shoots of nikon d5200 look "clean" even at iso 3200, and very good at 6400. In that video not much noise, but visible, sure.

• Would like to announce that we have updated the firmware of the SIGMA Optimization Pro, the dedicated software for the SIGMA USB DOCK.

The latest firmware enables our Nikon fitting interchangeable lenses fully functional with the Nikon D5300 camera. For those customers who own following products, please update the firmware of the lens via the SIGMA Optimization Pro.

• 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012 NIKON
    • 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM C013 NIKON
    • 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A013 NIKON
    • 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A013 NIKON *120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S013 NIKON

Should the version of SIGMA Optimization Pro is not updated to Ver. 1.1 yet, please be sure to do it before operating any lens firmware update.

You can download the latest version of the software from the following page:
    http://www.sigma-global.com/download/

• Iso tests from 800 to 6400 online on Vimeo. Denoised results are great up to iso 3200. Denoised 6400 trembles a little in dark areas, but pretty usable also.

• Very impressive high ISO performance and no Fix patter noise in sight. He has test from 800 iso to 25600 on his profile. You can see a comparison with the same shot against the Canon 700D and the D5300 (factoring resolution) is a good 2 stop better. I hope people will review it against other camera like the 5dmark3.

• I was not sure if it has a clean HDMI? Does anyone knows it?

• Clean HDMI, true.. iso performance, seems that 5200 has more to offer, couple of original files, comparing with Canon 5dmk3. http://yadi.sk/d/HViuSli5DkcF3

Short original files D5300 vs Canon 5dmk3 at iso 100, what obvious is dynamic range.

• Very nice video with the Nikon d5300 and his has a sample .MOV file you can download in 1250 ISO which looks very nice.

• Finally, the aperture can be changed in liveview unlike the D5200.

• @muddmanrich

As far as I know it is quite restricted feature still.