Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Interesting new technique for improving sharpness of lenses
  • http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/imager/tr/2013/SimpleLensImaging/

From the article:

Modern imaging optics are highly complex systems consisting of up to two dozen individual optical elements. This complexity is required in order to compensate for the geometric and chromatic aberrations of a single lens, including geometric distortion, field curvature, wavelength-dependent blur, and color fringing. In this paper, we propose a set of computational photography techniques that remove these artifacts, and thus allow for post-capture correction of images captured through uncompensated, simple optics which are lighter and significantly less expensive. Specifically, we estimate per-channel, spatially-varying point spread functions, and perform non-blind deconvolution with a novel cross-channel term that is designed to specifically eliminate color fringing.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • jajaja very nice @ahbleza I bet some big companies wont find this study so "interesting" ... one of this days there will be just a sensor... made out organic matter and controlled directly within the synapses of the photog's brain, then it would be almost impossible not to called them phogods :P

• It's just an improvement of what's already done. Some optimizations in optics interfere with each other — you improve one parameter and make another one worse — so it's logical to do with electronics what can be done and optimize the lenses for the rest.

If you ever looked at an uncorrected image from the best zooms by Panny, you know what I mean.

• Looks like this makes advanced lens profiling and software correction available for the masses. A possible addition to the upcoming Vitaliy GH3-hack? :). Or Magic Lantern. Would have been great to be able to custom profile each of my lenses like this, and process in-camera.

Guess Adobe buys the rights soon.