Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HUGE difference! Unhacked vs. Sanity Vs. Moon T7 for Green Screen...
  • This speaks for itself. I am really curious about the change in color temperature, though. I did get a tan since Thursday, and I did make a 200 degree white balance adjustment, but other than that the lighting in all three shots is basically the same....not sure why the huge color difference, but I like it! Not sure what it is about the GH2's stock firmware. Bright solid colored objects drive it crazy...but even a low level hack seems to take care of it (a faster bitrate is better though...look at my shirt in this video).

Not sure if there is an advantage filming MJPEG rather than AVCHD...both look really good.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Right on! Good news man, I'm glad the hacks have improved your situation! I can see a little bit of green spill in all of them, but just a little more distance between you and the green screen would take care of that.

• Glad you tired em out. I hope I don't sound like an ass or anything but when you do your real work, I'd try to stay further away from the screen. The green spill around you is pretty bad and will come back to haunt you, but you might have known that already and we're just doing some basic tests.

• Yeah, I am working on that. The filming area is actually about 8 feet from the green screen (the green screen is a heck of a lot wider than it appears here). It is very difficult trying to chroma key with a bald man. :) Still working on what I am going to do about that. I really wanted a waist up shot, but I guess I would need like a 20 foot wide green screen for that.

• If y'all have any suggestions for my Green screen dilemma, I would definitely appreciate them.. I am kind limited in my studio area.

• Also, try some powder. I know make-up for men sounds lame, but seriously, the less shine you have on that chrome-dome, the less spill! =)

• using a magenta gel filter on your back light would help cancel out some of that green spill on your head... not totally, but it would help. Also, the powder is a good idea.

• Magenta gels are a poor fix for spill. Are you saying that your talent was standing 8 feet from screen? If so you need the screen lighting placed behind talent and at a glancing angle of about 45 deg. Also make sure your talent is lit at least a half stop more than your background

I am surprised that at 8 feet you can't get rid of most your spill. I usually shoot at about 8-10 feet with a 10 foot wide screen getting easily 3/4 length shots. Just matte the sides.

• PS: magenta gels on the back light can spill onto the background causing color shift and difficulty with the keying color consistency. IMO it is easier to just position lighting and talent correctly.

• Matting the sides is the point here! If your studio is not black and you don't suppress scattered light by other means, lots of green spill are to be expected.

• Hmm. The studio isn't matted; but the walls are a flat (non reflective) Medium shade of blue. You say "Suppress light by other means" - What means would those be? Any suggestions?

• Black curtains, styrofoam painted black, whatever suits you. Nothing around the actor outside of his range of action should add any diffuse reflection of green. And I'm not talking about shiny highlights, whatever is non-black has some diffuse reflection.

• Couldn't even the softbox on your lighting set-up add green reflection?

• Most of the spill from green screen is from direct soft/diffuse reflection off the background. While there can be some very weak diffuse reflection off nearby walls or low ceilings, IMO you are better served getting good spill removal software and lighting properly in the first place. I'm just suggesting you put your money and time into the highest payoff areas. Blackout for non- background surfaces is the stuff of cycloramas, not someone hanging a cloth backdrop.

• Not always. One example: you have a green screen rounding down to the floor to make it possible for actors to stand on it. Now, if you don't have the feet of the actor in the frame, it's very helpful to cover the ground in black, not to get green spill into shadow areas of the actors clothes.