Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @babak indeed, it would be great if we had HBR 25p comparable to 24H mode.... :)

• Hi there,

Another one with Moon7. Enjoy!

C&C welcome!

• @driftwood t8!..t8!...t8!...t8! lol

• where do i find these patches?

• @driftwood t8!..t8!...t8!...t8! lol

• @LUPHA you will find the settings discussed in this thread on the first page of the thread along with notes about each variation, check out also the Faqs in the green menu at the top of the page. Other settings can be found on the blue menu to the right of the page, have fun! :)

• While I agree with the overall statements that Nick owes us nothing and pressuring him for a patch is quite pointless (especially since the quality we get out of T7 is absolutely phenomenal), I have to disagree with the fairly condescending comments about people only using the hack for cats and backyard footage on YouTube. That's not really representative of all the people that use a hacked GH2, it's only representative of the ones who have enough time and/or energy to devote to these types of forums. I have used T7 on broadcast television shows, corporate clients and plenty of paying gigs, but people who shoot professionally (yes, even sometimes with a hacked GH2) can't just go posting the footage all over the internet in many cases (unless you want to piss off your clients or the broadcasters). I'll tell you what Nick actually got for all hard work he has put in over the years (and it's not lament over cat videos): it's the recognition and the respect of plenty of working professionals all over the world. His name is on the tip of the tongues and the back of the minds of many innovative film makers and media producers. Personally, I am grateful for his (and others) efforts. If there is any more juice to squeeze out of this beast, I'm confident Nick (and/or the rest of the community) will be able to do it. - and when the next advancement comes, for as long as I still own a GH2, I'll still be checking it out, because a potential opportunity for progress should never be ignored. The most dangerous kind of man is one who believes he has nothing left to learn. I am constantly surprised by the new developments made by this community, but nobody should ever let a project go stale while waiting on a patch or a camera, I think this is something we all agree on.

• Hello everyone,

First of, I just wanted to say that this is a great community and thanks to it I went for a GH2 instead of a GH3 for my work. I think the patches (moon, flowmotion, etc) are amazing and they truly give a character to the files of the camera.

I do have a question, however, regarding an issue that I may be experiencing.

The first is in camera playback. I am using Moon T7 and when I patch the audio to the 448kbps and I cannot have in camera playback. If I patch without the audio patch, then I do get in camera playback.

Anyone experiencing this?

Also, my moon t7 patch does not span. I am using small 8gb 95mbps extreme pro cards and I suspect that the audio patch also makes moon t7 not span.

Always grateful for any help.

• Hi @hexagonal and welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy your gh2 :)
    Firstly, many of the settings are very finely balanced to give the best quality image recording in the camera and some settings are so data hungry that when they are recorded to the SD the data rates are too high for the camera to play back the image. Some folks believe that in camera playback is superfluous and like the higher data rates, some like to have the playback so would rather have a slightly lower rate.
    Having said all that, I think Moon T7 should normally playback, but it sounds like the additional audio info may have pushed the setting into "Not able to playback" mode. So you have a choice where to go from here.. I have recorded quite a bit of the higher rate footage, with no adverse camera effects so I think it is probably just down to if you want to check footage in the field, or not.

Secondly the only sd card that reliably allows spanning is the 64GB 95mbps Extreme Pro card, the 8, 16, 32GB versions have been tested by many, but cannot reliably span some of the higher data rate settings.
    Hope this helps, have fun with your new camera :)

• @hexagonal Here's the Sandisk card you want as recommended by @matthere. Price is down to $89. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_Extreme_Pro_64GB_SDHC_SDXC.html

That may solve spanning problem. The playback problem may be as @matthere described, but sometimes can also be caused by other things. For example, if I remember correctly, if you record a long clip, you're supposed to then immediately after record a short (~10 seconds) clip. If you don't, it can in some cases cause clip to be unable to playback in camera. If you read the FAQs on this site, they discuss a few things you should do, to avoid small glitches.

Good luck.

• Hi @matthere and @matt_gh2,

Thanks for all the info.

I guess that's going to be my next purchase! I am working on a documentary and I need to be pretty selective with the amount of space moon T7 files take. That being said, I don't mind the space because the quality is so nice. Singe I am usually hand holding the camera and following people around, I am pretty sure the bitrates are on the high side. I also need the sound quality improved and the 449kbps improves it just enough so I can ditch the ediroll and just plug the mic to the GH2 (a massive improvement over 5DII on this department alone - don't know about 5DIII)

I'll try @matt_gh2's short clip after long clip to see if the playback comes back. If not, I will assume is the datarate with the audio patch. In any case, I am happy I am able to have really good quality files that I can grade quite a bit more than anything I have managed before (NEX 5n, NEX 7, RX100, 5DII) Also, I am happy to see the big blocks in high iso go.

I have a very limited budget now and I am trying to see if I can get a second hand 12-35mm so I can gain that extra half stop over the kit lens (12-42mm) and another microphone. I have the Rode Stereo Videomic and I would like something more directional now.

So far it looks like the card is the next thing...so...I am heading over to amazon. @matt_gh2...thanks for the link but I live in the UK so I need to do a bit of hunting around here.

Quick question, before I go, do any of you use 5DtoRGB anymore after using the Moon T5/T7 patches? or is that now an unnecessary step? Finally, I read Moon T5 is sharper than T7... does that mean that on the higher ISOs (1250+) the grain would be more finely reproduced? I ask because I use no lighting in my work.

Cheers again for all the info!

• @hexagonal For inexpensive mic, maybe try this $40 ISK CM-20C. I bought one and haven't tested yet, but build quality is solid and this link has some nice sounding videos shot with it:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7630/best-indoor-mic-for-under-1000/p3

• @matt_gh2 That looks like a really good mic for the cash. I was looking at the Rode Videomic Pro or the Sennheiser MKE 600 (but second hand)

I am liking the size and the performance from the two videos I saw on that thread. It would be great to hear your opinion on it.

Only thing...phantom power only. I would ideally want something I can plug straight to the GH2 so an internal battery is a must I imagine.

• @hexagonal Yeah I'll be plugging into small Roland R-05 recorder, which has phantom power, and attaching recorder to camera rig/setup. Not sure if there's is a phantom power add-on/adapter that plugs into mics to give them phantom power. Once I actually use and test mic, I'll post my thoughts. I think it will be good based on samples I've heard so far.

• Hi guys,

Thinking of gettin' 40 ISK CM-20C and 48V phantom power supply, but looks like this set up is only for indoor (stuck near the power socket for the phantom thing). How can I take this set up outdoor, is there an option for this? With this set up, do I still need the amp such as Beachtek DXA 5Da or juicelink ones? Thanks for your input.

• @hexagonal

If you check the popup in PTools, you'll see that any change to the audio bitrate will make the clips unplayable in camera. It's not likely the extra data that's doing it. Going from 192 to 448 is insignificant compared to the video bitrates being pushed. It's just the way the camera works. I believe this applies to ANY patch. You can't change the audio bitrate if you want in-camera playback.

Having said that, I prefer to push it myself. I recorded a live orchestra with both the GH2 at 448 and the Zoom H4n using 24/48 .wav files. I then cut up both tracks to switch between them in my NLE, and when exported to a new 24/48 wav file, I could not tell where the cuts were occurring on my semi-decent Denon/Paradigm sound system.

The GH2 records some DAMN good audio.

• Looks like the ISK CM-60 doesn't need phantom power supply, http://www.swamp.net.au/isk-cm-60-battery-powered-condensor-microphone.html I'll report once I'm gonna test it. The only thing is, needs customized cable plus a 3.5 to 2.5 jack. Anyone has used this before?

• I must apologize. I didn't want to hijack the thread with the audio questions. I started a new thread (link below)

In the meantime:

I looked into the CM 60, @oto02, but I couldn't find one single sample online. Also, I would need to fashion a dead-cat for that one (that did not read - kill and skin a cat to make an accessory)

I also saw this and, I have to say, listening through my DT770 32ohm and dragonfly, the AT897 and the MKH 416 have a similar character since they have considerably less bass than the MKE 600. All three are the best here, though, at a distance.

This one is a close up test.

My work is more or less in between the two, both indoors and outdoors.

Both the AT897 and the MKE 600 can be battery powered, which I like.

After watching this, I have decided that the Rode Videomics do not offer me anything so I am going to sell mine and get either of the two above unless someone suggests something else.

I have started a new thread in the Audio and Music forum to make sure we don't go off topic for an extra page here and leave the patches and other related comments flourish here.

The new thread is here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10692/shotgun-mics-directly-to-the-gh2-with-the-448kbps-hack.-choices-and-advise

Many thanks again to everyone for their help. I would love it if anyone still interested in contributing can come over and continue to work out a good solution for a GH2+Mic lone rider combo for documentary work.

• Moon T7, nikon 70-210, Sigma 30

• @jhonnyskulls

Nice work in every sense of the word :-) Seriously though excellent job!!!!

• Did @Driftwood die or something?

• Moon T7 24l :)

• @TATZU I'm sure he's alive and well, just busy with work, life. T8 will come soon and then as Pedro said "all your wildest dreams will come true..."

@electria0814 Looks great. Nice editing and nice music choices. You have a good eye for composing shots. One thing I noticed was some flickering horizontal lines on some shots. They were barely noticeable, but might be worth solving for any paid work. Keep up the nice work. Thanks for posting.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters