Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Focus tracking for video?
  • The prototype GH2’s had focus tracking in video like the G2 does. Apparently the final firmware removed that functionality. Now that we have a lot of good work being done on the AVC-HD settings is there any possibility of looking into adding the Focus tracking back? If not I understand I just know that a lot of people would love to see this feature added back.

It was rumored that Panasonic removed this feature because it was not considered worthy for high end video users. I can't imagine why they would think that. This might be the one feature that would actually get pro users to actually use AF for video.

If it truly is controlled by the firmware I wouldn’t expect it to be too big of a deal to add back.
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, but time is limited.

To approach this I need to dig deeper into GH2 menus, parameters, etc.
    Nothing very hard here, just bunch of time.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I completely understand. I just sent you $20 for the time you spent already. I know it isn’t much but we all appreciate what you have done. If you find the time and it isn’t too much trouble then the focus tracking would be great. If not then I will still be satisfied with the camera the way it is.

• To approach this I need to dig deeper into GH2 menus, parameters, etc.
    Nothing very hard here, just bunch of time.
    >>>>>>>>>>

So is it a good idea for the members here to help recruit geeks for Vitaliy's crack squads? I'd do it.
    One way to leverage this place.

• The Australian way is to go around to the house of some ex-Panasonic tech with a carton of beer and a sympathetic ear. (Then of course, there are Sicilian Australians, too.They'd just go around to the house of the ex-Panasonic tech with a carton of beer).
  • Another vote for some work on this and a contribution sent-"money where my mouth is".
  • Totally agree, really need AF tracking!
  • You save a man from drowning. Then he would ask you save his bag, too.
  • @stonebat

Not quite sure what you comment refers to. However, I think the situation is more like a Captain is going on a 6 month fishing trip. There are hundreds of hungry people at the dock just looking for scraps to eat. The captain says “if you come with me then you can eat a small amount everyday but you have to help catch the fish and you must do it the way I tell you to”.

Most of the people say “no thanks, I will just wait here for more scraps because it is easier and I really don’t know how to fish”. A few people are hungry enough that they accept the offer not realizing that if they don’t do it right they could be thrown overboard.

Everything goes smoothly and the people on the boat get their fair share. However, some of them have ideas about how to catch bigger and different fish. The captain dismisses most of the ideas because they are pure nonsense and he listens to others that give him new ideas.

The captain tells everyone on the boat that it is ok to look for new ways to do things as long as it doesn’t get in the way of catching the amount of fish they are expected to catch.

Suggesting the new ideas can be helpful to everyone as long as it doesn’t get in the way of what is already being worked on.
  • Not sure if VK wanna become like a captain. I'm guessing. Maybe VK just needed the patch for himself with modest goal in mind. Good thing he's rational and set a reasonable priority list.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/08/25/1535255/Linus-First-Linux-Post-20-Years-Ago-Today

"One midsummer's night, a student at the University of Helsinki posted a query to the newsgroup comp.os.minix asking, 'What would you like to see most in minix?' The student's name was Linus Torvalds, and that Usenet post was the beginning of the Linux operating system. The date was 25 August 1991, exactly 20 years ago today. In 1991 Unix had existed for about 20 years, Apple had come out with its Mac OS in 1984, and Microsoft had been flogging Windows since 1985. Torvalds' ambitions for his 'new (free) operating system' were modest. It was to be 'just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu' for IBM PC '386(486) AT clones.' He wanted to call his OS kernel 'Freax,' but a friend who ran the FTP server that hosted the software named Torvalds' source code download directory 'linux' and the name stuck."

From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
    Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
    Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
    Summary: small poll for my new operating system
    Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
    Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
    Organization: University of Helsinki

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
    professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
    since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
    things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
    (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
    among other things).

I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
    This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
    I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
    are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them :-)

Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

• A workaround and something I've found which works quite well with a moving subject (or else, why would you want to refocus?) is to do the half-press (to activate momentary AF) while you are moving the camera with the focus region on the subject. This disguises any funny "in-out" dance that the lens does during the focussing process - you will accept the odd loss of focus during this sort of moving shot. When the subject stops (provided you're in luck and have given the focus time to work) your subject will be in perfect focus again.
  • Smooth AFC could be useful. The maker used GH13 and 14-140.

• I made this clip just to show you that GX1 can do AF tracking during video recording.

This make me wonder if GH2 can do it too in the future hack.

Cheers!:-)

• @stonebat that clip is v nice