Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Hack Myths and Realities
  • I have seen a lot of really good testing going on here. Some of the interpretations of results, however, seem a little off to me - or at least a little simplistic. Although testing things like high bitrates and low GOP are clearly valuable, interpreting results based on maximizing just one thing doesn’t effectively address the issue of how each of these affect a usable final outcome. No one thing will produce the results we want, and some of the things that need to be considered seem to never even come up. Some of the issues I see:

High bitrate means good results. Not necessarily. Once the bitrate has been set high enough to outperform other factors in the camera (e.g. the sensor), there is no need to go farther.

High AQ settings produce noise. Not true – high AQ simply reproduces noise more faithfully.

Setting noise reduction in the camera is bad. Not necessarily true. If you are shooting at high ISO’s more noise will be produced. The codec has to work hard reproducing this noise, and you’ll end up just crushing the blacks or doing noise reduction in post anyway. Applying some noise reduction in camera under these circumstances can be very helpful because the NR is applied before video is encoded and you are not consuming codec bandwidth reproducing noise.

The camera should always be set with Contrast at -2. Not true, the camera’s contrast should be set so the histogram shows the entire range being used. If you always set Contrast to -2 low contrast scenes will have poor gradations because you have set the dynamic range artificially low thus limiting the number of bits being used for the image.

In camera saturation should always be set to -2. Not true, for the same reason given above.

In camera sharpness should always be set to -2. Absolutely correct! Sharpening produces fake detail which the codec will have to work hard to encode. Sharpening is always done better in post.

Bigger P and B frames are always good. Not true – with static scenes B and P frames serve no purpose insofar as image quality is concerned because they primarily encode changes to the image. If things are correct, static scenes will produce small P and B frames.

Bigger P and B frames are always bad. Also not true – with highly dynamic scenes P and B frames get bigger because lots is changing.

Smaller I frames coupled with big P frames is bad. No, it’s perfectly normal behavior because with highly dynamic scenes because there is usually some motion blurring – which reduces I frame size – combined with big changes from frame to frame – which increases the size of P and B frames.

Individual frame quality can be improved without raising AQ. Mostly not true. The exception to this is when the codec runs out of bandwidth before completing a frame, resulting in image degradation in lower parts of the frame (macroblocking). The quality of motion encoding, on the other hand, benefits greatly from bitrate increases irrespective of increases in AQ.

Bigger I frames means better individual frame image quality. True.

Bigger P and B frames means better individual frame image quality. Only if there is motion, otherwise big P and B frames do little to contribute to individual frame IQ.

Bigger P and B frames means better motion encoding. When they appear in high motion scenes, absolutely true.

Improvements to image quality are readily visible. Absolutely not true. Some of the most important improvements only become visible in post, when color grading, etc…

To put all this together; consider a test where high bitrates coupled with AQ 4 produces an unacceptable amount of noise at ISO 3200. Moreover, the stream is exhibiting artifacts, such as odd looking pulsing in the frame sizes. What is happening is that the codec is being overly stresses trying to encode an inordinate amount of noise. Raising the bitrate won’t help; that just stresses the codec even more. Lowering AQ will seem to help – but it isn’t really doing anything except lowering the quality, which would be better achieved by just lowering the bitrate. The solution here is to apply a little in camera noise reduction. If you just lower AQ, all gradients and image subtleties will be degraded, whereas NR is only applied to the darker parts of the image near the noise floor.

Of course, all this assumes that you will be doing some post processing. I assume most people interested in advantages brought about by the hack do that.

Chris
  • 45 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin any chance you and @driftwood will write a book (pamphlet, pdf, sticky note) loaded with all your amazing encoding knowledge? I'd buy it.

• @CurtisMack second that, including a ptool manual, cant find it anywhere.

• @cbrandin - Have you written a guide that explains what each setting does and how they interact?

• +1000 great topic, now it's more clear to me the role of I-P-B frames. Most interested in good image quality + motion hack settings.

• Great topic and many thx @cbrandin.
    I never did understand when i did use a patch, then a other one, and again the same patch, the quality was different..

• Agree! Thanks for bringing this topic up for those who had missed it!

• just found this topic...and after going through it... lots of things are so much clearer......this should be topic number one to begin with before loading any modified settings in order to know how to get the best out of them and the camera. really essential post and discussion. thanks!

• Great write-up @cbrandin !

I also agree that *the* best overall settings is unrealistic, and that different settings will be *best* for different situations.
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

No problem.
    BTW, you may want to consider Chris's 66Mb/s AQ2 setting. It holds up better for motion and also very good on static scenes.
  • Thanks Chris. This kind of summation is invaluable.
  • @proaudio4 Thanks I felt dumb asking I just dont want to screw it up. Going to apply cbrandins 44mbit AQ4 today.
  • Really stooooopid question but......Do I need to check the 30min removal if I am hacking my USA model GH2?...
  • How about changing/adding lighting to the scene?
    It's a variable too..
  • first, thank you Chris Brandin for this great great info.
    Now, with regards to my post here that's been mentioned : http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/6912#Comment_6912 , my NR recommendation is obviously outdated due to Chris's awesome technical insight, so I''ll start using some NR in camera instead of always -2, but not more than 0. Concerning sharpening, @cbrandin, I hear you, and I think I exaggerated slightly in my post as I don't really use +1 even in low light with very wide apertures, but based on my real world observations, I am finding it perfectly fine to use sharpening at 0 in some occasions that are lens, aperture and scene contrast dependent. I am very anal about sharpening artifacts and edge halos so I'm always careful not to cross limits, but a mild sharpening in camera combined with a stronger second pass in post is serving me great for softer scenes in low light at F1.4 for example. Something like 35-40% in cam and 65-60% in post.
  • @Mark_the_Harp Ok I got the basic concept about convolution. There's convolution kernel effect in PP CS5. It seems a lot of other effects are based on convolution kernel. Some claiming convolution kernel effect better than the sharp/unsharp "preset" effects. I will take a look into it... later. Thanks.
  • Nice write-up Chris!
  • @stonebat Do give convolution a try. It should be there somewhere in Premiere Pro and most NLE's have it. Its interface is a matrix of numbers you can enter manually to affect the image, and it's hugely quicker to process than most sharpening presets - useful for a quick test sharpening even if you go back to using unsharp mask.

For a typical example (most NLE's will have something like this): http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-convmatrix.html

The sharpening example in the above link is way way too much, but don't let that put you off. You can do very subtle sharpening by playing with the numbers in the matrix and then save them as presets. If you find yourself using very small pixel values in your unsharp masking, you will definitely find convolution easier and quicker and just as good.
  • I do see improvements in detail on my Pana V10 Plasma played trough SAGETV HD300.
  • Excellent write-up, Chris, and I second Neatvideo! Only the very expensive Relativity by Arri or the new Nuke version are a tad better.

Regarding the perfect in-camera settings? Completely scene- and style-dependent. But since, as far as we know, there is no chance for 10 bit recording, you need to try and get contrast, exposure and saturation as close to your intended final look as possible. If you need to stretch or re-shuffle those few bits too much in post, they'll fall apart with posterization (banding) and quantization noise.

So, if you want a milky look (say, a foggy day), do it – you may even reduce contrast. But don't believe those publishing recommendations like "always set the camera to low contrast and tweak in post". That is BS, the idea stems from cameras shooting RAW with 10 bits or more. Sorry, this is something we can't do!

• @stonebat

I'm a big fan of NeatVideo!

Chris
  • "Improvements to image quality are readily visible. Absolutely not true. Some of the most important improvements only become visible in post, when color grading, etc…"

I hadn't put 2 and 2 together on this... very enlightening. For a novice trying to learn the right way, it's a privilege to have access to this community. Thanks for posting!
  • Hmmm... multi-pass sharpening and mult-pass noise reduction. photo can be easily processed by Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS5. For video I had to google.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/491717-canon-dslr-footage-10-bit-colorspace-up-conversion-tutorial-using-cineform.html#post1619240

4. Apply Neat Video noise reduction process (enable ‘very low freq’)

* Very low freq is for very dark noisy shots like the one shown in the demo. If you are cleaning up well exposed footage you don't really have to check that unless there's large gradients (like a blue sky).

5. Apply ‘blur & sharpen>unsharp mask’ (default settings)
    6. Apply ‘blur & sharpen>sharpen’ (12)

*These settings are to be adjusted to your need I really don't recommend "12" of sharpening on every shots. Unsharp mask default of 50 is a good starting point but again adjust to your needs.

Sharpening could also be done when doing final grading in your NLE. It would be better to do it at that point so you can adjust sharpness for each shot and go back and forth for matching the look of your sequences. In Premiere CS5 you have access to the same sharpening tools as in After Effects.

In extreme cases of noise reduction where 1 part of the frame is well exposed and the rest not so much I recommend cleaning up the shot and then dragging another instance of the same footage but with no processing and masking the well exposed parts (add some feather around your mask to soften it up). That way you clean up the bad compression blocking but you retain the original sharpness of your well exposed elements. That might require roto if your subject is moving but it doesn't need to be super detailed roto...

7. Apply ‘noise and grain>noise’ (set amount to 0.4)

In-camera NR + the step 4 for multi-pass noise reduction. The step 5 & 6 for two pass sharpening?

Both Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5 support unsharp mask and sharpen effects. Neat Video plug-in supports sharpening feature, too. Neither sharpening nor noise reduction takes advantage of GPU acceleration.
  • Unfortunately there are no best overall settings. You have to consider lighting, subject, nature of movement, etc... That's why it's important to understand some of the underlying issues. I can see where there could be best overall settings for your particular style of shooting, though. You have to put that together for yourself.

I can see where eventually most people will end up selecting from a relatively small collection of settings - but I don't think we're there yet. Short GOP, for example, still needs work. Until the issues with short GOP are solved, we won't see the progress in that area we want.

As for motion vs. detail - that is what the AQ settings are for.

Chris
  • @cbrandin In Vegas I use convolution. Very quick - processes in real-time in HD. Most video editors will have a convolution kernel.