Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • I downloaded it and yes, it does have a lot of noise. It looks like a shoot at +600Iso on my Gh3. Iso200 looks much cleaner on mine unless it's really really dark. That's what I can tell you as intensive Gh3 user, as soon as I played the clip all that noise is what I saw first. I don't shoot as flat as you either though.

• @maxr Thanks a bunch. I usually shoot 50Mbs Interframe so I was hoping that was the culprit.

• @maddog15 yes. "Problem" is you've got HUGE amount of fine detail and if you add the noisier All-i, well that's what one gets. Recently I runned into similar issues, aggravated with badly underexposure and in-built WB. In my shitty tests custom target WB showed better results, even noticeable and more accurate in/with camera display =)

• I'd like to ask a favor if any of you have the time. I dropped my GH3 and hoping I didn't cause problems. Camera is fine... only fell a couple of feet. Not dents or scratches BUT....

Just shot a clip outside trying to capture a few winter scenes. The amount of noise is incredible. I don't get it. There was plenty of natural light. It's too dark outside now to retest using MOV 50Mbps setting.

ISO: 200 SS: 60, Mode: 30p MOV All Intra Lens: Pany 14-140mm shooting at 14mm f.5. Natural -5, -3, -3, -5.

I've loaded the actual file in my DropBox. The file is about 290MBs. I know it's a lot to ask and I'm not trying to be a pain in the a** - but If anyone can download it an give some feedback I would greatly appreciated. Notice center frame. Lots of dancing pixels. -5 Noise reduction maybe too low? All Intra vs 50Mbps Interframe? Maybe it's me but I don't remember seeing this much noise with so much available light.

The question is: Does this video look "normal" to other GH3 users for the settings listed above.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b70r6tm71v3h7as/P1060775.MOV

• Also if you watch high iso 24P footage with a good frame interpolation to 60P there is less visible noise and of course smoother look but that is a different matter.

• If viewing at 60fps then it makes sense for noise to be less visible because motion is smoother, but if slowing down the footage by 40% for a 24fps delivery, methinks the noise will be there in all its expected glory.

• @maxr

I made my tests with high end plasmatv. It may behave differently than a computer LCD. Differences are more clear. All videos shows so much better in generally with plasma too. Less noise and more sharpness and clarity. Like GH3 becoming Alexa just by changing a monitor :)

• @Vesku I'm asking 'cause I've tested too and I didn't came to same conclusion (rather the opposite), who knows maybe I did "somethin' wrong"... that's why I'm asking. Peace bro

• I have tested it and that is how it works. Difference is small. easy to test itself. Needs original files to examine.

• noise is so rapid that it is hard to see

@Vesku Can you give some practical example of this? please

• @Mistas

Filming at 60fps also means you will need more light/ bigger f stop to avoid higher ISO, so for some situations it may not be as good as a lower frame rate.

You see less noise with 60P than with 30P or 24P because noise is so rapid that it is hard to see. It averages in eye and brain.

• @Mistas Makes sense. Thanks for further clarification.

• Shooting at 60fps is indeed at half the data rate on a per frame basis. It's basic math. Same 50Mbps distributed over more frames means there is less data per frame. The caveat though, is that the compression algorithm is usually good enough to make the difference almost invisible. There might be more macroblocking or artifacts in a busy scene because of the lower data rate but I haven't seen anything too noticeable.

Filming at 60fps also means you will need more light/ bigger f stop to avoid higher ISO, so for some situations it may not be as good as a lower frame rate.

I use Mercalli to stabilize shots, and I use the "keep border" option which prevents warping. I've never tried other software, but for me Mercalli is practically flawless. It only misbehaved when trying to stabilize deinterlaced footage, and that's not the program's fault, it's because deinterlacing is not a perfect science.

Smaller focal length means handheld is more stable. Handheld is much easier with AF. When I use my Voigtlanders for video, I have to be extra stiff with my arms and body while maintaining focus. Mercalli really saves the day provided you're not filming an earthquake.

• obviously if it's on a tripod, how about a monopod and hald-held filming or on a steadicam (I might buy the Melrin 2 some day)

• Always turn stabilization off if your camera is on a tripod etc. Otherwise, it's up to you.

• @maddog15 this wedding video of yours is A PIECE OF BEAUTY, music well chosen and nicely edited, you captured this wedding in all its beauty! I have seen many wedding videos and most I can't stand to watch because the editors make something like a "soap TV show" out of it, so, that was the praise for the editing now the LOOKS: I love it. Nice colors, beautiful skin tones. You are my reference now. Me and my girlfriend decided to never get married in a big fashion but if we would you'd be our man ;-) May I ask a couple of questions: Everybody is talking here about shooting at highest frame rate possible. I live in Germany and can only shoot in 50p. How much worse is it when doing slow motions or rendering to 29.97 for internation "productions" or in post deciding to go to 24p? Did you color correct a lot of the shots= Which lense did you use and what kid of rig for the shoot? And one thinkg from a question before I still don't understand. That Drew guy: OK, he uses Adobe Warb stabilizer (have to do my own shoot by just walking around and using a wide angle lense and then stabilize it in post to see how that goes) but he says lense stabilisation should always be turned off when shooting video? or is it just the case with the lense he used? as I said I shoot concerts with multiple cameras and on one we use the panasonic 35-100mm lense and this one in full zoom without stabilisation...I have my doubts if that shoot would turn out as we want it. So, enough questions. Hope some will find some answers. Thaks for your time. Downloading that wedding video now and watching it o my HDTV...(PS: any chance for uploading this video not on youtube but in higher quality?)

• We talked about bandwidth and fps relation some time ago and as I remember, gh3 has no difference shooting either in 30 or 60fps, other dslrs have. Maybe it has but I cannot see it

• @wgtwo Is that true? I'd love to see the specs supporting it. Not doubting you... I'd like to learn. Here's some good food for thought. Panasonic advertises the camera as 60p @ 50Mbps. As with any camera that you shoot with a higher frame rate for the purpose of slowing the footage in post, at least at 60p recording your getting 50Mbps. Check out the vid here. I've posted it before but what I found impressive is 75% of it was mistakenly recorded on MP4 60p @ 28Mbps! (At some point, I wasn't watching what I was doing and in a hurry I accidentally set the camera to MP4 mode instead of MOV!) Soooo ... Since I edited the piece as a 29.97 sequence and slowed the footage by 50% I would have only 14Mbps if you're comment is true right? View the vid in 1080. Even with YouTube's terrible compression my eyes feel strongly that 14Mbps wouldn't have held up and graded as well as it did. ( For reference: All the footage outside during the ceremony was recorded as MP4 60p 28Mbps. Notice how well the skin tones rendered. Good color, good dynamic range, no hint of artifacts or blocking.)

I could be wrong... please someone correct me if so... but I believe 60p footage slowed 50% is still broadcast quality. (Broadcast quality should be 50 to 100Mbps I believe.)

• But shooting at 60p also effectively halves your bitrate.

• @starios Yep, thanks I forgot that crucial point. Shooting at 60p and editing at 30 or 24 fps makes a lot of shots "look better."

And technically this isn't off topic. We've not spent much time discussing recoding frame rates and editing frame rates as a part of Best Video Settings. That said the above technique can be critical in slider shots that are executed by hand vs motorized.

• @maddog15 and because of slow motion

• @olli66 He does mention using Warp Stabilize in Premiere Pro CC to smooth out and tiny bumps - but yes - hand held. No stabilizer. That's because of the Oly 12mm lens.

• @maddog15 I just watched that DREWnetwork's video...really? is it possible to achieve those kind of shots without image stabilisation? so that guy tells us in his ugly language (I don't like the guy!) that lense-built-in-stabilisation is a bad thing? how about you guys? do you film with or without? shooting a long concert without image stabilisation and 35-100mm lense and full zoom? on another note I'd like to see that 24p tutorial that Drew guy is talking about but I can't find it, can someone point me to this direction?

• @surfculture Looks good, but feels like you pulled the highlights/gain down too far. Are the whites not near 1024?

• Here is a small video without history composed of two parts. the first part contains images without color correction GH3 and the second part is exactly the same setup but with davinci resolve 10.1 and some of which read the Yak. The images were shot with a manual white balance.