Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
16mm Samyang Rokinon F2 or Cine T2.2 lens
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • Samyang’s 16mm f2 is fairly solidly built. When you grip it, you feel a substantial lens and part of this has to do with the giant manual focusing ring equivalent to the most beefy cut of steak that you’ve probably ever had

We’re really not sure if there is anything for APS-C sensor DSLRs that can beat the sharpness of this lens. The detail that this lens is capable of resolving is astounding.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/23/review-samyang-16mm-f2-canon-ef/

g26.jpg
    800 x 751 - 104K
    g27.jpg
    800 x 501 - 80K
  • That makes sense - the smaller the sensor, the more the camera is "blowing up" the image formed by the lens.

• @kholi Yes we all know you have some sort of perverted deep infatuation with the 18-35/1.8. It's ok and there's nothing wrong with that! I'll be right there with ya when it comes out!

• The Tokina is soft on the camera, Vic is right. In fact, it's not a sharp lens to begin with. It was never sharp on any camera, but it was the fastest 11mm SLR lens you could find, in fact it's an 11-16/2.8, that's why it's been so popular.

It gets worse on smaller sensor, always has. Definitely looks better on a larger sensor than it ever did on the GH2, and better on the GH2 than it does BV1 and likely BPC

The 16/2 Samyang was a pleasant surprise for me. Not a bad lens as far as I could tell.

Still going with 18-35/1.8 though xDDD

• Yep. A few people have reported this problem, especially with the corners. I'll do another test and use my Ikan monitor to punch in. I think it zooms in further for critical focus.

• So are you saying it's soft on the BMCC and not on the GH2?

• @Ralph_B Well, I went through 3 copies to get this one and it was never soft on my GH2. I used it all the time for my wide shots, so I don't know what to say. Also I used focus peaking and zoom in on the BMCC. The focus peaking was exactly at the same point on all three lenses.

• @vicharris

Are you sure the Tokina is in focus? Because it's soft even in the center of the frame. You might have a bad copy.

• @labalbi No video, just stills. We just shot it. Actually I'll post the very unscientific test I did before the shoot. I shot the Rokinon, Tokina and the SLR 12mm at oil painting. Best thing I had a round that was wide enough and constant lighting. See for yourself. If you zoom in a little and look at the upper left corner, you can see the difference easy. I saw it as soon as I looked at the images though.

Rokinon 16mm_1.3.1.jpg
    1584 x 891 - 431K
    Tokina 16mm_1.2.1.jpg
    1584 x 891 - 388K
    SLR12mm_1.5.1.jpg
    1584 x 891 - 417K
  • Could not find the video....

• Yes, check the BMCC thread. I just did a shoot with it. It's better edge to edge on the BMCC than the Tokina.

• its available in BH ...for native Micro 4/3 . Anyone tried with video , already ?

• Yep, I'll prob pick one up when the cine comes out and get rid of another lens. Might replace the Tokina 11-16 on my BMCC since that lens seems to suffer edge sharpness pretty bad.

• Reviews and samples

Overall image quality of the Samsung 16mm f2.4 lens is really very good.

The sharpness from this lens is really quite good.

The bokeh from this lens is smooth.

Color fringing with this lens happens in only in the most extreme of conditions.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/05/25/review-samsung-16mm-f2-4-samsung-nx-mount/

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/07/first-impressions-samyang-16mm-f2-canon-ef/

samyang.jpg
    800 x 502 - 80K
    samyang1.jpg
    800 x 477 - 76K
  • Cant wait ! @bwhitz ! And please , can you guys enlighten me ? Whats the main difference between a normal lens and its cine version ?

• Well, lens came yesterday! I'm planning on doing a longer review, but as for right now... this thing is great! Build quality is very solid, optics are nice and sharp wide-open, focus has hard stops and is nice and long... Samyang makes a great lens! These really feel more like mini-cine primes than the still photo lenses I've been using. Definitely going to be selling my Sigma 30mm 1.4 and putting that money towards the Samyang 24mm 1.4 cine-prime! I'll post some actual footage tonight or tomorrow...

Here's a quick grab down there for right now...

The car shot: GH3 - ISO3200 - f2.0

P1000065.JPG
    1247 x 832 - 160K
    P1000067.JPG
    1247 x 832 - 196K
    P1000068.JPG
    1247 x 832 - 201K
    grab_01.jpg
    1919 x 1080 - 301K
  • Well, lens shipped out today. Paid for 2nd day air, but UPS is still saying no delivery till monday... :( Which is dumb, because I was hoping to post some samples from a job with it this weekend. Oh well, I'll have to think of something to do next week with it and the GH3...

• Hope it works out well for you.

Me too. Hope these first batches are good...

so this could jump in place of my tokina 11-16.

Yep, this is what I'm hoping it will replace. The Tokina looks like a great lens... but honestly I don't really need the (a bit small) range of 22mm-32mm on the GH3 if I can just get a faster 30mm-ish lens. This will also be my go-to glidecam lens... and I'd rather balance for a prime than a zoom. Kind of wish Tokina just made a 11mm 2.0 instead of the 11-16. But, I've never been a zoom-lens guy...

• @bwhitz Thanks for being first in on this one. Hope it works out well for you. I'll be waiting for the cine version for sure. Sold off the 14mm cine so this could jump in place of my tokina 11-16.

• 32mm is pretty decent wide... speed-boosted though, is a really awesome 22mm 1.4! The addition of this lens really convinced me to start collecting a set of these. I think I'll be ordering the 24mm 1.4 soon...

Looks like the Nikon/Canon mounts are in stock at B&H now! Just ordered the Nikon mount, so i can speed boost it later! I'll do some test shots when it arrives!

• This lens could be a 12mm ...16 mm in MFT is 32mm ...a limbo between wide and medium...maybe they dont want compete with pana's 20 and 25 mm

• So with a Speed Booster and Nikon or Canon mount, this lens will offer MFT and NEX users an effective f1.4 with relative focal length of 11.3mm. Hmmmm....

You have something messed up in your head :-) As actual FL will be 16 x 2 x 0,72

• So with a Speed Booster and Nikon or Canon mount, this lens will offer MFT and NEX users an effective f1.4 with relative focal length of 11.3mm. Hmmmm....

• ...shut up and take my money, Samyang.

At f/2, sharpness in the centre of the frame is already excellent, with good clarity being achieved towards the edges of the frame at this aperture. Stopping down the aperture improves sharpness across the frame, with clarity in the centre of the frame peaking with outstanding levels at f/4 and clarity approaching excellent levels towards the edges of the frame at f/8.

This lens is pretty unique in what it offers for most camera systems, but even so given the performance it offers, the price of £419 seems very reasonable indeed. Nikon users will find the version with a metering chip much easier to use than the standard stop down metering version, so the slight premium of £40 is well worth the extra.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-16mm-f-2-0-ed-as-umc-cs-lens-review-22335

cost3.jpg
    688 x 511 - 66K