Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
3-axis stabilizers ala FreeFly MOVi or ZenMuse - DIY and commercial
  • 458 Replies sorted by
  • I think the demo for Gazer stabiliser is hilarious, just like many of the new stabiliser video. He should be moving around with the stabiliser and not standing still and play with the pan and tilt joy stick accompanied with the over the top epic soundtrack :) We already know that it can pan and tilt, so move on and move around to show us some footage. What we get is 5 seconds of not so impressive footage at the end of the video....sigh.

• @mickey walking technic and the handle/grip seems key element next to the controller setup. A collegue who party does steadycam OP did not have the issues as I have (but he did not permit me to post his indoors... Cat Video). Footage gets better every time I use it. It is a nice, clean, stable and damn small gimbal which came with a usable out of the box setup (a backup copy of settings on DVD). Once you got through the instructional videos for programming the controller you get an idea. I did not give myself enough time yet to experiment more, but I got e.g. the complete follow mode + radio control working by now. Will go out this weekend with gimbal & pocket if weather is ok.

• @hellrazor

would love to see more footage from the arris zhaoyun! thinking to get either this or besteadyone for GH, canon or go pro - seems a little bit bouncy from that wasteland footage. are you improving with it /is it getting easier? What is it like to set up?

I've seen much steadier footage from be steady but dont see how the same tech can be so different...

• Nothing?

What about a 3axis gimbal worth buying for a GoPro?

• Hi all,

I'm a noob when it comes to gimbals and this thread has a lot of great information. Is there an affordable 3 axis gimbal (around $500) that is worth buying? It would have to be able to hold a GH3 and GoPro (not at the same time). Any recommendations?

• Thanks, I also plan to put the Portahead on a steadicam sled soon besides the handheld mode. It will help to carry it for longer time and also eliminate the foodsteps. Will post some demo material in the next time. The change between handheld and steadicam mode only takes a few minutes.

• Nice idea but I dont think that the ergonomics of gimbalgunner is convincing. You have to carry all the weight there is no balancing as in standard sholder mount. If look at the operator you see that viewing is another problem. You cannot use a viewfinder as the camera has to stay flexible... last not least pricing almost 5000€ plus VAT..

• Last week we used our new Porta Head 5 system for the first time with the cablecam and the brushless gimbal brought another improvement into the stabilization together with the kenyon gyro I used before. I edited some footage and making-of-material from the shooting with the cablecam. The camera used was a Canon 5D Mark 3 in RAW modus. Focal length mainly used was 50 mm, some shots used 35 mm and up to 85 mm.

Best regards,

Andreas Kielb

http://www.portahead.de

IMG_3660.jpg
    900 x 600 - 126K
  • @eyeiaye All the shots for now are done with a handlebar from a home trainer. I mounted 2 Clamps (from magic arms) and so I can clamp the handlebar on the fly. Very solid, but quite heavy. I am working on a PVC handlebar covered with Carbon fiber. Handlebar has to be solid & detachable. I plan to attach a monitor. But I want it with the RC. A HDMI transmitter (there is 5V next to the camera!) should work fine. Just lacking a 10cm cable... It should work to run a HDMI cable from the gimbal to the monitor.

For your Cage: I see no point in putting the cage. The Gimbal is a cage. + I would not add balancing mass if not needed. If you want to use it, mount it to the top and attach your monitor there!

the RC solution: DSM Orange RX by HobbyKing for 6$. Add a MLP6DSM 6CH Safe Tx from a Blade helicopter (-> spare parts!). + 5 Volt. You won't get it cheaper!

In parallel, I need to make it possible to control the GM1 by WLAN using @lenuisible project.

And the settings in software are 100% overwhelming! Maybe I tried 5% yet.

P1050565.jpg
    4592 x 3448 - 1M
  • @hellrazor NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!!

Have your rigged up a proper mounting solution?

I would like to mount a monitor to this beast!

And to clarify, in no way do you think that the viewfactor cage would work on this?

• Using it as a remote head:

• GM1 + 14mm pancake + MK II vari ND + arris zhaoyun

• @hellrazor, for being a "worst case test" it was quite good. this being said i would love to see a test when you get the rigging down.

• @eyeiaye: yes. Lets say the kind of rigging. I used the 14-42mm PZ X zoom with MK3 Vari ND, which placed the cam way out of balance. The tilt motor was humming all the time (listen in the first seconds). Worst case Test. It was the first day out with the pocket. Also working on a more neutral grade but skin tones were to low exposed ;) And everybody should consider LANC or Wireless remote control of the cam on such a rig as it is hard to press buttons while the rig is active.

• looks great. and what a fun day.

I am seeing a few micro vibrations, is this from the rig?

• password: fly

• December 2013 issue of IEEE Spectrum had an article of a DIY two axis stabilizer that looks interesting and inexpensive. Here's the article link: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/ready-steady-shoot A video in the article is:

• @eyeiaye: set up is just almost there, but... video is uploading... C-Mount works. No heavy stuff which throws it out of balance! Pancakes 20mm & 14mm work flawlessly. Wide angle on 14mm works most of the time... seems to be the limit. Cage is not needed + no space. GF7 does not fit. 0.7mm too high + there are some knobs on top. Motors seems very strong and default setup comes way overpowered for handheld.

• Also, can you show different modes, and joystick if you are using them?

This is exciting

• @hellrazor This is fantastic! I wonder if a c mount lens would work? also, would there be room to fit the view factor cage? if so, it might be able to hold larger lenses given that the weight would be more balanced. Thoughts?