Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
3-axis stabilizers ala FreeFly MOVi or ZenMuse - DIY and commercial
  • 458 Replies sorted by
  • @Tone13 no. Already tuned. I lowered initial values. The initial setup was quite good. Just too much power. Motors got too hot. No. GH3 won't fit. BMPCC fits, but you are already in trouble connecting micro HDMI... My handheld setup is constantly evolving... I will post the final once its working good.

• @hellrazor

Cool video, looks great considering you didn't do any calibration (is that right?).

Any pictures of your handheld Arris setup?

Wondering if it will take a GH3?

• O.K, I got it. Thanks a lot!

• @tabaluga if anything flexes, you get micro jitter in your footage. I did a prototype handlebar out of PVC pipes and tried to walk the gimbal... good for checking mounting options, bad for testing! Using a 1.2kg bicycle handlebar gave the best results so far (I should visit the gym). Using tubes, you can fit in weight ;)

• The weight of the two types is the same. Maybe, in this case Aluminium with carbon would be stiffer. Anyway I'll use it with a Canon 550D which is not so heavy. The flexibility will affect the performances (stability) of the gimbal? Thank You for your answer!

• @tabaluga from what I saw so far: whatever material you use on a gimbal: it must not flex. adding weight seems to be a plus for walks/runs. but I would rather see the weight on top, on the handlebar side than with the stabilized parts (cam/lens).

• Hello everybody! I would like to buy from Ebay a 3 axis gimbal. There are two different offers for the same model: with Carbon + Aluminium Alloy Tube and with Carbon + Glass Fiber Tube, at almost the same price. Which of this two types could be the best? Thank you!

• even unfinished on setup and handlebar, the arris zhaoyun 3-axis brushless gimbal rocks! very quick and dirty post prod... I hope it is worth sharing.

• A good CAME 6000 run by Cheesycam

• @grisnjam Since Stephen Tsang of MastorTech started a new company and formed the new business under the Gazer name, I've lost confidence in their highly-anticipated SF1, which was supposed to be able to fly the BMPCC and even my Lumix GM1. The newly-branded gimbal is now priced $100 more than previously promised. I suppose that's for the new red accent plastic. The Came gimbal, which comes in at only $100 more, can fly my GH3 as well. Do you think I can use the Wifi to view on my iPod as a sort of monitor?

• Here is a new 2 axis (no pan) option that is big enough for DSLRs:

$880:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=CAME+6000+Gimbal

• Ok, I'm seriously considering the 3 axis GoPro gimbal Kurth linked to on ebay (Ebay protection an advantage as pointed out). I know nothing about gimbals, do the motors used in that gimbal seem descent enough? Should the sum of it's parts make a good gimbal? Unfortunately I can't find a single review online but the seller does state "100% customer satisfaction guarantee " for what it's worth.

• @Tone13

If you arrow thru the slidebar at top, I think only the most expensive one at $233 is ready to run. Read the highlighted red print for which model lacks what. The others require assembly/i.e programming, or missing components..or are 2-axis. It's confusing because there's so many options.

• Kurth,

Yes, my mistake. Will only work with the GoPro. Fixed it now! The products I linked to say that the gimbals are "ready to run". Is this not the case?

• easy to find in Europe

• Feiyu's site says 2 hours. I got a doubt where to get these batteries.

• 9V battery ? Is it enough ? got some serious doubts about the autonomy

• I agree about the price/risk ratio. that's why I posted. ....and you mean "will only work with the gopro", right ? ...not gh3 ! I kinda of like the 2-axis for it's design. On your link...it does say the controller is "kit only" for the cheaper model controller. Don't know what that implies. And that site has a wide variety of prices for what appears to be the same machine. Must mean they come in different levels of completion. Which puts it at the same price as ebay...and it looks like the identically same product. They also sell the feiyu and it has an excellent review. At least you get some protection with ebay.

• 3axis handheld gimbal for GoPro even cheaper here :

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/3-axis-handheld-brushless-gimbal-kit-w-motors-and-evvgc-gimbal-controller-for-gopro-2-3-camera-fpv-aerial-photography.html

Or this one? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/3-axis-handheld-brushless-gimbal-set-w-motor-and-bgc-gimbal-controller-for-gopro-2-3-aerial-photogprahy.html

Both are 3 Axis and look identical other than the boards. Will the more expensive version be easier to setup and work better even though in the specs they both say "debugged and ready to fly"

Ideally I would like one for my GH3 but not willing to risk paying $600+ for a suitable handheld gimbal if it's going to be junk. $250 I don't mind risking although it will only work with the GoPro. Thoughts?

• Thanks Kurth,

That second 3 Axis gimbal you linked to is one that I am considering for a Hero3+ Black. No info anywhere on them though.

The first one (video) does not seem too good to me and confirms that 3 axis is really needed.

• Anyone seen these ? They're on ebay for less that $250.

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=41

Not quite a pretty as mastor tech.

Also some 3-axis gimbals for gopros for less than $250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steady-Maker-3-Axis-Handheld-Brushless-Gimbal-Set-w-Motor-stabilizer-for-Gopro-/181301654561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a366bb421

• Great forum!

I thought the OP created this thread for Gimbals around $500?

What was I expecting?