Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Does anyone know how the audio on this compares to the audio on the gh2?

As far as I remember video by JuicedLink author Robert Rozak it is not good. Worse than GH2.

• @vicharris,

" ... Please do a little research before you post. You comment about outside shooting does not make sense. One could shoot with many cameras outside without an external monitoring source. GH2/3, 5D, C100/300/500. All of these cameras have a viewfinder so your statement is invalid"

Does your producer, director, colorist, editor er grip guy know that you are giving them exterior shots relying on that thing you call " viewfinder " on GH2/3, C100, C300, C500 !? Just the fact that you are bagging the GH2/3 with C100/300/500 tells me you don't know much about the viewfinder on GH2!!! According to my research those built in viewfinders are just for quick framing and getting feedback about the recording data from time to time. I know for the fact that all those cameras require proper monitoring for the actual camera roll. Of course one could brave the day and shoot with a Hood viewfinder on GH2 then so can with BMPCC. Take it easy man - you are reaching for the straw here. Let it go ! LOL

• Why is everybody talking about size only?

I consider weight a very important factor when you go to places where you have to carry the whole stuff on your own back. What about charging in remote places? Can you imagine the size of solar panels you'd need for a Scarlet, not even to mention an Alexa?

Regarding ads: it's actually quite clever to market that thingy as a "cinema camera" to folks that will never shoot more than kids, cats and dogs. Remember all those ads with the "red carpet" crap selling cheapo camcorders? It's called economy of scale! You can't make such a camera at this price point for a handful of professionals only, you'll need thousands of those buyers who feel like a pro by holding it in their own hands…

• @kholi iammuc here from BMCuser. that 12v external power supply from that uk seller arrived that was discussed on the viewfactor cage thread. Its about the size of 3 en-el20 batteries lined up, its a really nice small size that fits the size of the pocket. Rated at 3800mAh, 4hours continuous runtime easy on this little thing. Battery indicator is quite usefull. Still waiting on that cheaper 6800mAh battery to turn up. Doing the maths that thing should last at least 8hrs.

• It's not "Pocket Documentary Camera" or "Pocket Run and Gun Nature Shooter Camera"

It is hard to upset you, but most people who buy BMPCC will never shoot any "cinema" stuff. So it'll be mostly "run and gun, cat and dog, bush and doc" :-) And it is really good idea to make product for the goal your customers will be actually using it. You can initially market it as you wish, of course.

• Some people are just overly invested in this thread.

Does anyone know how the audio on this compares to the audio on the gh2?

• my ears were burning, what'd I miss? :)

• That's the problem @caveport People that have or have used one post their opinion or experience with it and then some jackass comes in and tells them they are an idiot. Then we have situations like this. If you haven't touched one of these, don't slam people that have and that present valid pros and cons of the camera. I had hands on with one, when I did, I posted something that bothered me a little. Is it a deal breaker, nope. But it still bothered me. Then sometime that I'm sure had never touched one comes in saying we're all idiots. Trolling at it's best :)

Ps, sorry for spelling and grammatical errors.I'm on my phone and it's killing me.

• I'm not sure that arguing over what the BMPCC camera should or should not be used for is very productive. I'd like to hear about some user experiences from those who own one and have been shooting with it.

• Panny didn't market the GH2 as a cinema cam... but we sure are using it as one.

isn't the name "Pocket Cinema Camera?????"

It's not "Pocket Documentary Camera" or "Pocket Run and Gun Nature Shooter Camera"

• Yep, that setup they had announcing the camera said cinema Acam if I've seen it.. Not really sure how you can think that's not one of the intentions BM wanted for this camera.

• @cantsin "Who would shoot 4 (respectively 16) hours of narrative footage with the Pocket?" I would and probably will since BM aparently solved the "white orb" problem. If people used to follow the company´s advertise for their products this forum wouldn´t even exist!!! As DSLR´s in film sets...

• @cantsin

What was the camera advertised for, if not for cinema/narrative? There are pictures of the camera with a PL mount and Super16 lenses on it.

I'm not blaming Blackmagic's advertising for anything, just the people that keep making an effort to lump it into one category. It's just a camera, use it for whatever you want, as long as you can outfit it for your purpose, what does it matter?

• @010101 Please do a little research before you post. You comment about outside shooting does not make sense. One could shoot with many cameras outside without an external monitoring source. GH2/3, 5D, C100/300/500. All of these cameras have a viewfinder so your statement is invalid. That's why some of our commenting on the screen. Without an aid, it's worthless outside. Sure, someone will make.something soon but do some research and think about what you are posting please. Have you by chance used one yet?

• The shooting scenarios you guys are describing are, IMHO, the ones where you wouldn't use a BM Pocket as an a cam. Who would shoot 4 (respectively 16) hours of narrative footage with the Pocket? Blame Blackmagic's marketing for whatever you want, but this is clearly not what the camera has been advertised for.

• @kholi @shian It's likely hard for folks to imagine the work that goes into getting 4hrs of narrative footage without having done it. You're easily looking at a 4:1 or higher work to footage ratio and all that standby, rehearsal and lighting setup time isn't free for the camera department. Thanks for being voices of reason and experience in this thread that's more than a hundred pages deep now, mostly noise.

• @cantsin

On any given Alexa shoot the camera's got eight AB batteries and two quad quick chargers, that's minimum battery power for that camera. If you're lucky, you may even get a battery block. It eats batteries.

It also isn't a traditional video camera, however.

Eight batteries totaling roughly eight hours of just stand-by time accounts for various different factors on a hot set, including holding for talent, quick relights, staging/blocking with Director, run-throughs/rehearsals, etc.

That's mostly if you're in a controlled environment. When you move to an exterior location without power, limited time, you begin to feel the need to let camera remain alive so that you can see what you're getting.

Each battery takes around two hours to charge, but an hour to deplete, if you get that while recording. So the safe amount of battery power would be around eight. That's about eight safe hours you can operate without access to rotating power.

This is similar to people buying one SSD card (480) but forgetting that if that one 480 goes, you lose all of the footage on it, AND, you should likely offload when you can. A pair of 240s and a third for backup is ideal.

So, just to clarify, I'm not referring to actual footage captured, but the amount of time a camera's typically on, shooting, outputting a video signal, stand-by, etc.

Of course, that's just my working experience, and everyone's free to work how they will. =D

@xenogears

Viewfactor said that they're looking into a battery grip that works with their cage. For my purposes, I'm only going to own two EN-EL (Is that the model number?) Batteries, opting for external power that charges those batteries while powering the camera.

Would hope that's what a battery grip did!

EDIT HERE: @cantsin

Also, personally, I'm not concerned about battery power, really never have been with any camera. People complaining about the internal battery with the original 2.5K? Baffled me. It's amazing, camera never has to go down, external iDX/V-Lock charges internal.

Buy power, that's the solution. It was more so if you only want to carry the small batteries, eight is the number I'm guessing would be the right amount.

• I've been on absolute mammoth shoots where we shot 17-24 pages a day, and not shot more than 4 hours of footage. Unless you are shooting docs or reality TV you're not gonna shoot more than 4 hours a day.

@matthere if I wasn't already sold on the cam, that footage would have done it... beautiful stuff, I think it may replace my GH2 as a b-cam

• Has someone announced some kind of battery grip for the BMCPC? this would be very useful. Maybe a battery grip with some XLR audio inputs on it, like the A-Box from Wooden Camera but with a battery holder, i know maybe it sound crazy; but how knows it maybe possible. Zacuto already announced its luxury viewfinder.

• Dude nobody has 8 hours of footage a day. Except reality and trust me, Kholi knows what he's doing and what he needs. :)

• @kholi I don't know what your shooting scenarios are, but it really sounds like you want a traditional video camera (more a pocket ENG than a pocket cinema) for whole days out shooting. And in such scenarios, the resulting file sizes (8 hours of ProRes footage = 0.5 TB data) are just a hassle, and you're better off with a camera that produces nice out-of-the-box 8bit HD video, with no need to denoise, grade and sharpen in post. If you have the money, then a C100/C300 would be the right tool, if you're on a budget, then the GH2/3. Seriously, I'd use my own GH2 for such purposes rather than the Pocket.

Otherwise, you can just feed the camera with the provided power adaptor if you shoot indoors and under controlled situations, or you use higher capacity external batteries - the camera accepts almost anything up to 18 volts.

• All the so called " issues " mentioned by naysayers about BMPCC will be wiped off the discussion forums as soon as the " BM-POCKET-CC " is put in the context. The context that this " great little giant " was designed to function for. I know of many FULL-DAY shoots extend to even 16 hours but the actual camera(s) roll is never exceeds to those kinds of numbers. In fact in many normal 12 hours shoot, cameras would not be " ON " more than four- five hours and camera roll usually remain half that amount. That's for film and big budget digital.

So, if you need to have your camera ON and rolling for eight hours of shooting day - BMPocketCC will complain to you in many ways.

• No, you're right. It's more like 48P and I've only tested with moderate motion, nothing crazy.

I should have taken more time to express that opinion better. Also, have been shooting with the Miro lately so everything under 200fps looks about the same these days. XD

Sorry about that.

• @Kholi

I can see not needing or caring about 60p, but I also have a hard time imagining any interpolation of 30-60p getting anywhere close to the real deal. I haven't used Optical Flow retiming so perhaps it's extraordinary... but Twixtor falls apart badly unless there's scenes that cater to it. High speed shots with limbs flailing (ie: sports, animals) fail quite badly even with modest interpolations.