Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @P13DM

Yep, glabal shutter could be even better for multicopter :-)

• @niGGo One of my first thoughts when I read about this camera was 'Lumix 7-14mm'. They're going to sell like hotcakes, especially to people who also own a Panny/Oly stills camera.

• Thanks for the help guys.

@_gl Same problem here. Really love the specs of this camera, but shooting wide must be a pain in the ass. I guess there is no way of buying the Pocket Cinema Camera without investing into some used C-Mount lenses (or the like) - although I really don't know if there are any suitable and affordable lenses on the market.

Funny enough, I'm finding myself leaning towards the Cinema Camera v1 more and more again.

• @Mirrorkisser

It is just different camera with smaller sensor. And most 5D sales are from people who shoot video occationally, and it is mostly some small business and family stuff.

• 13 stops just like BMCC? Well if resolution will be on par - that's a killer news. Hope there will be a consumer codec as well with more manageable file size.

• @north if that thing ever gets to the market, it will blow the 5dmkiii away, which will possibly be a lot better for stills or better in lowlight. but who wants soft 8bit 4:2:0 for three times the price?

• If this camera honestly do what it says, it is perfect for studio green screen and special effects in general.

• @niGGo, 'compressed' doesn't automatically mean 'lossy'. Lossless compression is used everywhere (eg. .zip/PNG/FLAC files). You can losslessly compress RAW without loosing any information (and many cameras already do for stills) - but it requires processor power to encode so it isn't always done.

The catch with lossless compression is that you typically don't get very high compression ratios, often less than 2:1. Still extremely useful though.

The camera sounds awesome, but I have a big problem with the crop factor - hard to get fast/small wides for it. I shoot on GH2's with Panny's 14mm and 20mm primes only, and the convenience and speed is something I wouldn't give up easily. But I'd kill for the DR and RAW so ...

• I'd pretty much decided to finally upgrade from my 550D which has fallen apart in my hands after 3 years flawless solid use to a 5D mk III but damn, BM are making it hard not to try something new...

• i hope they dont make it SO mac oriented.

• Prores to SD would be awesome

• @shian

As I understand it still perfectly records in ProRes and has good DR.

Better look around for that you have at $995.

• @niGGo I guess we'll find out what "the catch" is with that this week. "Oh yeah - to have that feature, you'll need to buy our external Thunderbolt recorder, for $2000, it comes complete with all kinds of annoying glitches and such.... aren't we awesome?"

• @niGGo

I think it does not record raw internally at all, just on external Thunderbird or USB 3.0 drive.

• If this is true, I will order ASAP.

Please METABONES, if you are reading this... whtere the F&^% are you with that m/3 to super 35 adapter!?? Killer combination now.

• There is something I don't get: How is this camera supposed to record "lossless" CinemaDNG RAW on SD cards and the 4K camera only "compressed" CinemaDNG RAW on (what I believe) much faster SSDs? Is the resolution between 1080p and 4K that much of a difference?

• wondering if it'll be impossible to delete clips like in the bmc