Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K Black Magic Production Camera, raw, $2495 now
  • 330 Replies sorted by
  • Hey c'mon guys no Bloom bashing - he just might come back here again for 1 post saying '...please stop saying bad things about me, it's not cool, please please please or I will tell Steve Weiss, Eric Kessler, and my Mommy...and if you still don't stop - I will tell my cat!!!' :-p

• He must, it is his way to get bread and butter. To "review" new cameras.

Let me save everyone some time. Here's the review from the future...

"These are wonderful cameras, just like the C300. Sure you can shoot 4k, but the workflow just isn't quite as the smooth as glorious 8-bit C300. The Pocket Cinema Cam has a lovely image, but the crop is difficult compared to the C300. They're both a bit too clean at low-light imaging... I like the film-like grain you get with the C300. Did I mention the C300?"

haha :)

• Yes, and since they're not made by Canon, he'll nitpick their every "limitation". :-)

• FWIW, Bloom has tweeted that he's pre-ordered both of the new BMD cams.

He must, it is his way to get bread and butter. To "review" new cameras.

• FWIW, Bloom has tweeted that he's pre-ordered both of the new BMD cams.

• @balazer

The BMPC-4K tech spec page now says "1920 x 1080i50, 1920 x 1080i59.94".

I assume interlaced is included especially for compatibility with some of BMD's own ATEM video switchers which aren't compatible with progressive HD-SDI sources (such as the original BMCC).

• Apologies if this was already posted:

John Brawley said that the BMPC-4K uses "... a CMOS with global shutter from a different company ..." (e.g.: not a CCD, and not from the company that makes the CMOS sensor for the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT cams).

• I have some very nice Canon lenses. Still hoping for 4/3.

• I just did the math in case anyone is interested. The sensor size equivalent of the BMCC MFT with the Metabones Speedbooster is actually bigger than the BMPC EF 4K.

BMCC sensor size equivalent with Speedbooster: 22.27mm x 12.51mm

BMPC sensor size: 21.12mm x 11.88mm

• p59.94i doesn't make any sense. It's gotta be interlaced or progressive.

Incidentally, there are PL-mount to Canon EF mount adapters, though not universal ones that will fit all lenses and cameras. Blackmagic would be smart to try to make one for this camera.

• @driftwood

that looks WAYYYYYY better than the current.

• What I want to try is multi-image superresolution on very high frame video, I've had great success overcoming the optical limitations of a system and increasing true resolution beyond what the lens can resolve with just 2 images.

Keen to give that a go at some point.

• Hmmm, interesting... Blackmagic's site says that 1920 x 1080p50i and 1920 x 1080p59.94i are both available frame-rates. Some form of over-cranking should be possible with that interlaced-to-progressive interpolation method. You'll only get 1920x540 worth of real-resolution... but it's an option!

• I really want a short focal flange. More lenses to adapt like rangefinder lenses. But also.. metabones speedbooster would be great since this is super35.

• I agree, bring it on, and I look forward to 60p next year

Yea. +1 here. If the 4k Blackmagic had 60fps (even with rolling shutter) I'd sell one of my testicles and buy 4 of them. Hell, I would have actually rather seen a 2.5k "extended" model with 60fps in Prores and a few other options for the $3995 price. Either way, I'm SO GLAD they are actually selling 4k at a reasonable price... way to go!!! but I personally need a good 60fps option this year. Seriously though, still a great job on Blackmagic's part... nearly every-other camera of the last few years looks like a joke now. I can't believe how pissed off those "pro camera" fanatics who swear by over-priced antiques like the C300 are feeling right now. Did they really think 8-bit compressed garbage at cell-phone data rates was worth the $16,000 investment? My God, what a joke Canon's C-series is now...

Just wait for the barrage of excuses to NOT use the 4k Blackmagic to begin. They are coming. And it's going to be both sad and hilarious to watch people desperately trying to hold their old "pro camera" ways. Gear won't get you jobs anymore. Finally. Good riddance!

They really did hit the nail on the head with the Pocket Cinema Cam. Looks amazing! Definitely getting one of those, or just the original BMCC, to go with a GH3 now... both great options though! Prores on a SD card?!! Holy crap! I want to just go outside and smash my 7D... but I can probably still get $700 for it. :)

• @pvjames I agree, bring it on, and I look forward to 60p next year, and everyone releasing a "me-too" 4K H.265 camcorder and DSLR next year to compete with BM at this pricepoint. At this point, 1080p is a tough sell other than for cell phones unless it has high frame rates or RAW.

I expect the next generation BM 4K camera at 2014 NAB would have 60p or 120p for slow-mo, better lowlight performance, better DR and h.265 option with the newer Thunderbolt connector announced today by Intel. But at $3995 or $4995, who cares, I'd add another to it and keep this year's announced body as a backup or 2nd body.

Ultimately, I think narrative 24/25p RAW at 4K is going nowhere for at least a decade while the next step to 8K is trying to figure out what framerate is best, likely 120fps for realistic sport and event footage, while 4K narrative should upscale nicely to 8K once the final format is hammered out. I'll let Peter Jackson and James Cameron figure that stuff out...

Pretty good day for 4K RAW "Global Shutter" fans, let's hope they deliver by next NAB...

• @RRRR when was the last time you used it? Resolve 8 was shit, but 9 is awesome!

• I don't know what PB is smoking on. I remember buying a DV camcorder back in the 90s, CCD was the new advertise thing that replaced over cmos. Not until HDV kicked in and used CMOS. This is because CMOS is more affortable and consume less energy. What CMOS created was over 10 years of rolling shutter, alias, and moire. I welcome CCD back anytime.

• What I think we need is some footage of this thing..

• I just called into BHphoto and already they have around 100+ orders. That make me not in the first batch of camera for sure. big bummer.

• I came here to read about the new 4k cam and instead end up reading about some comment from PB and worse: supposedly he´s a talanted guy! Well, if the talent is carrying around cameras, making an occasional home video and writing stuff on his homepage then maybe, yes - he´s quite talanted at that. As for things slowing down.. It won´t slow down any time soon.

Buzz I'm getting from inside is that it they have a new sensor source and ample supply of sensors, and will be ready to ship by July [separate pipeline from the 2.5K] and the 4K trade off is it's now only 12 stops

Now, this (re: new sensor source) is what I thought about after the obvious (why not e-mount?). I guess it would make much more sense if they had begun to work with some merited sensor maker..

Hopes up for DALSA (or something like it). Of the few snippets of footage I´ve seen from Aaton Delta, it seems to set a new standard in terms video rendition. Hopefully this is a cheaper variety of similar tech.

I´d hope they update the 2.5k bmcc with a new m43 sized sensor (from a reliable supplier). The size is great and a passive or active m43 mount would make it a perfect tool for me personally. I particularly like that it can be made to look like s16 or s35 and has a good light transmission/relative aperture(dof) ratio.

I have to say I hate RESOLVE though. They really need to update it for users who have no need for a controller board, not to mention get rid of bugs. It doesn´t matter how powerful it is on paper if it´s a PITA to use.

• I cancelled my Cinema Camera order, and ordered the Production Camera 4K.
    I've waited 12 months, another 18 won't matter.

• Reading some conflicting reports as to the bitrate of the compressed dng files for the 4k camera. Some are saying 8bit? Would love some clarification on this.