Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
24mm F1.4 T1.5 Samyang Rokinon official topic
  • 119 Replies sorted by
  • @HillTop1
    The sensor in the m4/3 means that the Field of View is half that of the same lens mounted onto a 35mm full-frame.

Effectively:

35mm Samyang = 70mm on m4/3
    24mm = 48mm on m4/3

Note, this applies even to the m4/3 lenses, so the Panasonic m4/3 20mm Pancake on a GH2 will have the equivalent FoV as a 40mm lens on a 35mm full-frame camera.

• >OOK That's good. If you look at this image the glass is not flat hence my confusion.

All the lenses are not flat, most are part of the sphere.
    Some (called aspherical) are more complicated.
  • Other good thing in Samyang produced lenses is that they make good investment.

I can instantly use them on my Pentax, mount on m43 bodies.

And could mount on FF body is this become available.
  • Thanks Vitaliy!
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So now since I have the Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens I can say that YOU can't use any 77mm filter you like with this glass.
  • >So now since I have the Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens I can say that YOU can't use any 77mm filter you like with this glass.

Sorry, my bad, of course you can't use 77mm on his lens.
    Whole discussion is about 24mm and 35mm and I accidently thought that you mean 35mm Rokinon.
    It uses 77mm.
    Sorry again.
  • It's not a problem. I could've done more research myself ;-)

I love the 35mm one and can't wait for 24mm to come out. It looks very solid just like the 35mm one from the pictures you posted in the first post .
  • @Tommyboy

I hope that you could use 4x4 NDs with it on m43.
    I am working with few producers so more affordable 4x4 filters will be available.
    Check Gear category, I'll try to post info as soon as all the details will be finished.
  • That's a great news. I'm in the market for good 4x4 nd filters.
  • Is this lens going to be internal focusing? How about 14mm, 35mm, 85mm from Samyang? All internal focusing?
  • @stonebat Yes, both the 35mm and 85mm Rokinons use internal focusing mechanisms and have fixed front lens barrels that neither extend nor rotate. The 24mm looks like it's built the same way as the 35mm, so I expect it uses internal focusing as well. The Nikon (and probably Pentax) versions of these lenses have focus rings that rotate in the same direction as Nikkor lenses, unlike Sigma's lenses, whose focus rings all rotate in the same direction as Lumix lenses, regardless of mount type.

I've found these properties highly desirable for using these lenses on a rig with follow focus and matte box attachments. With most follow focus gears, focus direction is determined by the lens. making focus ring rotation a crucial issue. In addition to being able to choose that direction by lens mount selection, the focus ring on the Rokinon 35mm rotates about 120 degrees, giving you very fine control. The fixed outer lens barrel makes it ideal for use with matte boxes and anamorphic adapters as well.

I recently tried out a 24mm f2.0 Nikkor AI-S lens in excellent condition. It was very compact, with beautiful image quality and precise focus control. Unfortunately, I had to conclude that it just wasn't what I needed in either a video or a stills lens. Like most vintage primes, while the front lens barrel doesn't rotate, it extends while focusing, And with AI-S Nikkors, the lack of a CPU chip on the lens mount makes them unusable with the light meters in many Nikon camera bodies. The modern design of the Rokinons makes them much more adaptable to my purposes.
  • Yes... the front barrel extension... not so matte box friendly. I could start selling my vintage lenses at profit and switch to the Rokinons. 120 degrees rotation... how about focusing by hand instead of FF?
  • samyang needs to make a really really good 50mm f/1.4 and a very good 135mm f/2 and they'll rule the world:) that way they'll have 8mm 3.5,14mm 2.8, 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 135mm 2: an entire set of all manual, decent build quality lenses, excellent optically completely future proof (FF coverage) perfect for budget video filmakers. And then one could dream about the same set but with stepless aperture and packaged in a set for good discount:)
  • A set of stepless Samyang 8/14/24/35/50/85/135... Wow
  • Which mount version did you guys get?
  • We should lobby them to add an HD anamorphic adapter like the Panasonic LA7200 to the mix. I say HD because the LA7200 was built for SD video and it shows a little bit. They would sell a ton of them.
  • really interesting lens - I love Samyang
  • Are these on the market yet? Can't find much, Price? 300 euros? USD?
  • Oops. I was asking for 35mm. 24mm isn't out yet.
  • I like Nikon mount version of Samyang lenses as they have focus confirmation chip for Nikon F mount. Is that why Nikon version is $50 more expensive than Canon version?
  • Samyang lists Four Thirds as one of the mount options, but surely they must mean Micro Four Thirds, not the older and longer flange-distanced Four Thirds mount? Does anyone here own the 35mm Samyang in FT mount and can they confirm whether it's native MFT or needs an FT-MFT adapter? Thank you.
  • I have the 85 Olympus version and it is full 4/3 requiring adapter.
  • @stonebat
    Yes, the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is available both with the Nikon chip, and as a cheaper version without the chip. (Either will work with the GH2, but I'm seriously considering getting a Nikon for its legendary low-light capabilities.)
  • I wanna get D90 body at dirt cheap price. Just for photo. Then borrow my friends' Nikon lenses :)
  • Hmm, why would Samyang put out a new lens in full FT mount when those cameras are no longer being produced, and MFT is the new Panoly standard? Makes no sense to me, unless the rest of the world is still flush with FT bodies. Not seeing the logic here.

I'm definitely buying the Samyang 24mm, that's a given. Was planning to pick up the new Panaleica 25mm but I'd much rather have a manual focus lens that's sharp wide open. But if the Samyang is really FT mount, then the irony is a GH2 shooter is better off getting the Nikon or Pentax mount depending on which direction you prefer to focus.

Actually with the hacked 42MB setting, ISO3200 is so clean I may as well use my $25 Industar 69 28mm f2.8 and call it a day.