Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K Recorder and monitor - Convergent Design Odyssey 7 and 7Q

Specifications (all recording parts for 7Q only):

• 7.7″ OLED, 1280×800, RGB 8-Bit
    • Waveform, Zebras, Histogram, Vectorscope, Focus Assist, False Color, Timecode Display and Audio Level Meters, and 1:1 Pixel mode.
    • SDI Video I/O
    • HDMI Video I/O (up to 1080p60 422 8-bit)
    • HD/2K RGB 444 8/10/12-Bit up to 60p/60psf
    • HD/2K YCC 422 8/10-Bit Up to 120p, QHD/4K 422 up to 30fps
    • ARRIRAW (16:9) 12-bit up to 60fps, ARRIRAW (4:3) 12-bit up to 48fps
    • Canon Raw QHD/4K 10-bit up to 60fps
    • LUT Support (ARRI, Canon, Sony)
    • High-Speed (120fps) and Simultaneous RAW + Proxy (DNxHD-36) mode
    • Record File Formats: DNxHD, Uncompressed, HD/2K Raw, Canon Raw, ARRIRAW
    • SDI record trigger (ARRI, Canon, Panasonic, Red, Sony)
    • 2-Channel Embedded Audio (48KHz, 24-bit)
    • Odyssey7Q support 8 channels
    • 2.5″ server grade SSD in 240/480/960 GB sizes
    • compatible with off the shelf USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt adapters
    • 540 grams cast-magnesium case
    • 200 x 155 x 25 mm)

More information at: http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/Odyssey7.aspx

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • Apollo Video Assist

• I got an Odyssey 7Q+ to use with my A7s. The video quality for 4k DownRes to 1080P30 even using ProRes LT is much improved over the internal recording. The camera runs twice as long on a battery and I can record over the 3 hours I need.

• Seems better

Starting today, July 1st, the Convergent Design Odyssey7Q+ will ship with one 256GB Odyssey SSD included. A five-pack kit of SSD handles for use with qualified 3rd party SSDs (see below) is now included with each Odyssey7Q+. Convergent Design has further added a 4K-ready HDMI cable and adapter, as well as an Ultra-Thin 3G-SDI cable, to the universal AC power supply included with the Odyssey7Q+. All accessories are available for separate purchase from any Convergent Design dealer.

List Prices Slashed On Odyssey SSDs

Starting today, July 1st, Convergent Design has drastically reduced prices on all three models of Odyssey SSDs for the Odyssey 7.7” monitor/recorders. The 256GB Odyssey SSD is now $249, the 512GB Odyssey SSD drops to $449, and the 1TB Odyssey SSD is now $795. Prices are US list prices in United States Dollars. Prices around the world will vary due to shipping and customs fees. All Odyssey SSDs are fully warrantied by Convergent Design to perform in all recording modes on all 7.7” Odyssey monitor/recorders.

Convergent Design SSD Price Drop

• 256GB Old price $395, new price $249
    • 512GB Old price $795, new price $449
    • 1TB (1024GB) Old price $1395, new price $795
  • Less than one year ago, Convergent Design began shipping the Odyssey7Q monitor/recorder. The response has been overwhelming, with thousands more units shipped than anticipated. To celebrate this huge success, for a limited time the Odyssey7Q is available for just $1795, more than 20% less than the standard price.

The Odyssey7Q combines Convergent Design’s knowledge and experience of both broadcast and cinematography recorders, while adding the capabilities of a high-end professional monitor.

Odyssey7Q is a brilliant 7.7″ OLED monitor with 3400:1 contrast, true blacks, 1280×800 resolution and comprehensive monitoring tools. It’s also the best and most versatile portable recorder available on the market, enabling you to record HD Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), 4K Apple ProRes, Uncompressed, Sony FS7/FS700 RAW, Canon C500 4K RAW, ARRIRAW and POV RAW. For a limited time, Odyssey7Q is available for $1795, a $500 savings. The best just keeps on getting better!

http://www.amazon.com/Convergent-Design-Odyssey7Q-Recorder---Convergent/dp/B00J49JQOO/

• Introducing the Odyssey7

• Latest news on the Odyssey 7Q from NAB

• Anyone had a try on hacking this yet? I have a unit and can be of support if someone needs it.

• hands on the Odyssey 7Q, 3 videos by Convergent Design

• Odyssey 7Q 2K FS700 Post-Production Workflow with DaVinci Resolve

• Convergent Design Ships Odyssey7Q: 7.7” OLED Monitor & Professional Video Recorder

(Colorado Springs, CO, November 4, 2013) Convergent Design, maker of the popular nanoFlash and Gemini 4:4:4 onboard recorders, last week shipped the first production units of their new flagship product, the Odyssey7Q, a full-featured 7.7” OLED monitor and professional video recorder. The Odyssey7Q is a no-compromise device at a revolutionary base price of just $2295.

In spite of the affordable price, a comprehensive set of professional monitoring features is included: Waveform, RGB Parade, Zebras, 1:1 Pixel Zoom, Focus Assist (Peaking), Vectorscope, Histogram, LUT Support, False Color and more. The 7.7” OLED has a 1280x800 RGB pixel array, wide color gamut, and 3400:1 contrast, with virtually no motion blurring and true blacks. Bluetooth LE supports simple remote control through iPhone and Android apps.

As a recorder, Odyssey7Q supports a wide range of recording formats. Uncompressed RGB HD video is included, with compressed HD video soon to be added in a free firmware update. For RAW capture, ARRIRAW (4:3 and 16:9), Canon 4K Raw and Sony FS700 2K RAW are available as purchase or rental options. New 2.5" Premium SSD media supports read/write bandwidths in excess of 500 MBytes/sec per drive, enabling Canon 4K Raw at 60 fps on a single recorder.

The Odyssey7Q also features a unique Multi-Stream Monitoring mode, which allows up to four HD Video signals to be input and displayed simultaneously in quadrants onscreen or switched between in full-screen view. A purchase or rent record option (Multi-Stream HD) allows up to four HD Video feeds to be recorded to simultaneous individual files, or even to allow a “live-switch” edit be captured.

A wide range of battery accessories, mounting options, and sunshade, are available to support the Odyssey7Q. While Convergent Design has significant preorders for the Odyssey7Q, it is on target to fulfill all current orders before the end of 2013.

• Another interview with Sony rep regarding FS700 4K/2K options incl. the 7Q here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/120671#Comment_120671

• Yes, there are extra costs involved, but owning part of the necessities already makes you think if you just add the missing parts of a 4k workflow. Then, you can work on optimizing the workflow and start offering it to agencies and better paying clients in the beginning. in my opinion, the 7Q could open up a lot of possibilities for FS700 users and extends the use of it.

Just having the option to keep the camera running at 200/240fps longer than a couple of seconds (AND (!): without that annoying writing time) is very appealing and time saving.

• I am thinking of adding 4k because everybody is talking about it - that means your clients are talking about it too.

How to explain economic crisis?

It is simple - for 4K you need to buy new computer, new camera, new monitor, 10 new HDDs, spend more time in editing and do it all for 10% discount to your usual 1080p rate.

• Off course I am thinking of adding 4k because everybody is talking about it - that means your clients are talking about it too. There is a huge difference if they decide for 2k / 1080 for what ever reason of if you have to talk them out 4k because you cant't

• @peaceonearth I have the feeling that this might be the more reasonable option. I am gonna follow both options closely now. Hope the 7Q won't be too expensive with all the options. Are you thinking of adding 4k? Like with this need device :)

• @Tobsen no questions If you already own the FS700 :-) I own it since Sept and it's almost paid by slomo jobs. In your inner debate dont forget the worth of the monitor.

• Looks great.

I wonder what the "FS700" support will cost. I am really debating with myself if it is time to go 4k with my small company.

FS700 + 7Q and having 4k and 240p recording or maybe just go with the flow and order the BMC 4k which might not be much more expensive than the 7Q with all necessary options and has a better codec for HD and free software. Hmmm...