Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • Cluster X Settings - Series 2

After receiving over a thousand replies in the last 8 weeks in the previous thread we continue the series here from the following link:-

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5806/cluster-x-series-1

Whats it all about? Achieving the best looking overall pictures around - throughtout the popular GOPs. The great thing about Cluster X developments is you can mix and match some of the settings to combine into your favourite setting (e.g. GOP1 for 24p and 25p/FSH, GOP 6 For 1080i60/30p and 12/15 for 720p etc...). Slipstream settings do this for you (mixed and matched and with spanning capabilities where we can plus 80% modes on H & iA mode support).

This has been a tough (and still ongoing) challenge, each setting (and ptools patch change) takes an age to check & measure. Its exhausting work - even with 4 cameras on the go. The measuring to check Quantisation, frame sizes and stability adapting one change at a time is pretty debilitating on mental energy. I hope people appreciate waiting for each setting to appear.

All the new Cluster X series settings for each GOP attached below have been tested on the notorious 14-140 Pany sharp lens. Give me feedback.

Its as simple as A, B, C, D, E, F ! Each .ini setting in ptools for Cluster X Series will equate to setA ('DREWnet' 12/15 GOP), setB ('Nebula' 6 GOP), setC ('Spizz' 3 GOP), setD ('Moon' 1 GOP/3 GOP), setE (Slipstream 1) & setF (Slipstream 2) setG (Slipstream 3) and finally setH (Redshift). Any updates will stay on these sets.

"Bitrate is King. Who needs hi powered scaling matrices when enough Bitrate (if you have it) can drive the quantisation..." Quote from my conversation with Dark Shikari - X264 dev 2012

If you enjoy these settings please don't forget to donate to personal-view by clicking on the link above. Gratitude and thanks to Vitaliy Kiselev.

• 1053 Replies sorted by
  • I am more and more happy with my Lumix GF3. Now that i understood that switching Video-Out from PAL to NTSC gives me 30fps. My Videos look much smoother. This time i tested REDShift 1b.

• Trying out Spizz Trial 5 (Smooth -2 all) for the first time. I shot an anime convention last month run-and-gun style with a Sankor 16C anamorphic lens and a Helios 44-2 58mm for the taking lens.

• Hi! Does any settings of this section can be written in gx1? Or only GalaXian v1&v2 does?

• Good work @Azo. Its about time more people showed some initiative and provided more crossfire settings.

I will be releasing T8 probably next week just as soon as Im happy with 1080i/HDR modes.

• Moon T-4 setting for reliable HBR30p/720p spanning & recording.

I lowered the bitrate and adjusted some of the other settings in Moon T-4. I tested a number of different bitrates and anything 60Mbps & higher caused the camera to freeze or stop recording. 60Mbps seems to be the ceiling before the camera crashes in the HBR30p mode. The bitrates from Cake V2.3 for HBR30p/720p modes seem to be perfect allowing the camera to span reliably every time, so I used these bitrates to tweak Moon T-4 .

This adjustment allows for reliable continuous spanning in HBR30p & 720p modes, please note that nothing was changed with the 24p setting. My goal was to have a sharp & reliable setting for 24p, 30p and 720p recording modes. I performed some rudimentary sharpness tests, out of all of the settings that I have tested to date this seems to be the sharpest setting for HBR30p mode. The other thing that I was looking for while performing these tests where the noise patterns. IMO Moon T-4 has one of the better noise patterns for HBR30p mode. I have come to this conclusion after performing several different tests to analyze the noise patterns with different settings.

Here are the settings and other info for some of the tests that I performed.

1hr recording of the "Death Movie" for each mode = 24p, 30p and 720p.

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens for all of the tests that I conducted.

ISO 1250, F/5.6 AWB, Shutter Speed 50=24p/30p, Shutter Speed 125=720p

Full Manual Mode, Smooth -2-2-2-2

This setting is perfect for my needs... I finally have the all in one patch that I was looking for when I first joined Personal View. I am very grateful to @Balazer, @Driftwood, @bkmcwd, @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @thepalalias and the many others that have contributed to making these settings available to the rest of us.

Attached is the Moon T-4 settings that I adjusted for reliable spanning in HBR30p/720p modes. I prefer the Moon T-4 settings with lower bitrate, it provides a sharper image throughout the frame. Please try out these settings for yourself and decide which setting you prefer.

Moon T-4 All Intra 24p settings with lower bitrate = sete

Moon T-4= All Intra 24p merged with settings from Cake V2.3=HBR30p/720p settings lower bitrate = setd

Best Regards

sete.ini
    setf.ini
  • @Azo Check settings/patches by @bkmcwd. He makes them with reliability one of the prime focuses. He's done a ton of settings/patches. Yeah, @driftwood is mad genius when it comes to this stuff. He had put out some great looking test footage for a possible T8, but that hasn't come out yet. Hopefully that will solve your problem with 30P. Looking forward to trying T8 myself.

• @matt_gh2

Yeah, I remember reading about the ISO noise bug which prompted me to perform this test. If I remember correctly balazer stated that ISO 320 and 640 were the cleanest ISO's to use. I actually performed more tests on all the different ISO's the cleanest ISO's based on my test's are 1600, 1250, 640, 320 and 160, of course this is with the method of dropping down from the middle row of ISO's thereby avoiding the ISO bug. I am happy with both settings and each setting has its place in my quiver. I am not sure how Driftwood did it but Moon T5 has top notch quality in all modes, I just wish the HBR30p/720p modes where more reliable then it would be more versatile for me.

• @Azo There were some ISO noise tests run in the past too. If you haven't seen them yet, take a look, they might give you more info to combine with your test results. Thanks for posting video. I've always liked 320 and 640 myself for overall image quality, though that's debated by many.

• Moon T5 VS Cake V2.3 Lens cap ISO noise test.

I performed this test just because I was curious about which patch would be better in HBR30p mode. In real world testing I did not notice a difference in noise patterns. I know that Moon T5 pretty much trounces all the other 24p mode patches, but I was really surprised with the results from this HBR30p mode test. IMO Cake V2.3 HBR30p actually looks better in real world testing but the difference in the amount of noise with this test leaves me very intrigued. Based on this test ISO 320 & 640 seem to be the cleanest ISO's to use for the GH2.

• Anybody here have testing differences of saturation, contrast, sharp, etc, between Cluster X T8, T9 and Moon5? (with same lens and controlled light).

• Hi, there is something wrong hapening when Im recording 720: I can record about ten seconds, and then there is a message in the screen that says "motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the writing speed of the card" then the camera blocks completely. I have a sandisk extreme pro 32 gb 95 mb/s. Any idea?

• Thanks callan, I 've just made some test yesterday. Lower bitrate in 24L mode.

• @bristo You should find that the files are smaller. The max bitrate will be lower, likewise the average. Less data =smaller files. The lower rates may also help with spanning. Test thoroughly before using on paid work. Good luck.

• Hi evrybody, I'm new on this wonderful forum. I have a beginner question about redshift 1b. I've just installed it on my GH2, works fine. I tried it as my first patch because I wanted to improve the quality of my GH2 non hacked and I wanted to avoid getting huge file. So I think this patch should be OK (I use a sd 32 Gb at 95 Mb/s). -When I film in 1080 24P Cinema mode does it change anything if I switch between 24H and 24L? -when I film in Manual Mode 720 P what happen when I switch between SH and H? Thanks a lot for your help.

• @nic2011 If you find 'Sanity' meets your needs don't forget that you can create your own 'Sanity' with the improved audio patch if required by merging two patches. Sanity is a good option. Good luck

• @matt_gh2

Thanks for the link! I looked around there but didn´t find anything with a longer GOP (12-18). So, I rummaged a bit more here and found "Sanity 5.1": http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2642/sanity-4-and-5.1/p1 Just regarding the datarates + GOP´s it seems the right thing for me. I´ll give it a try tommorow...

• @schlanger77 really good job man, i really enjoy the lighting! would you mind sharing some ungraded pictures of the training part?

• Will do - many thanks matt!

• @nic2011 Look at the settings ("patches") made by @bkmcwd. He's done a lot of different good ones that I believe have lower datarate but still have some of the great looks similar to the higher datarate ones.

• Password: slipstream

Just another boring test video because I´m still searching for a new patch for my GH2. I already gave "Flow Motion 2.02" and "SpizZ T6" a go (I´d like a long GOP 12-18 and a moderate datarate around avg 45-60mbps for 24p + 60p). But with FM 2.02 the camera got frozen sometimes. And SpizZ T6 is still in an experimental status. So, I tried out "Slipstream 2". It has a really good quality, especially in 1080p24 mode. But a datarate around 70-90 for the latter one is too high for my purposes. So the search must going on...

• T5 and T7.

Tamron 17 - 50 /2.8
    ND2-400 fader filter (NewView)

• Look at this video shot with moon trial 5 shot in Low Light condition. Grain added on post with filmconvert.

• 'A Hora' - Short cut (one minute) with Drewnet T8 , smoth all-2

https://www.facebook.com/festivalminuto/posts/647250421965278

• 'A Hora' - Short cut (one minute) with Drewnet T8 , smoth all-2

https://www.facebook.com/festivalminuto/posts/647250421965278

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters