Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D7100 topic
  • 146 Replies sorted by
  • I think the video from the Nikon d7100 looks really good IMHO.

• The Nikon D7100 is their new top of the line DX-Format dSLR, sporting a new 24.1-Megapixel imaging sensor, EXPEED 3 image processor and possibly the best image quality for any camera in its class. The new sensor allows for increased sharpness and clarity thanks to the lack of an optical low-pass filter. Performance was not lacking either, as the camera's speedy AF system and processor work well together for outstanding results. All of these features have been combined nicely into an incredibly easy-to-use dSLR. With a MSRP of US $1,199.95 (body only) or US $1,599.95 (with the kit 18-105mm VR lens), the D7100 is expensive. However, this is a high quality option for anyone looking to upgrade to a more powerful dSLR, start out with a top of the line model, or someone who is not quite ready to make the commitment to a Full-Frame FX-Format camera; but still wants professional quality and performance.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/d7100-dslr/nikon-d7100-dslr-review.html

• Hi guys! I just made this video for the Father´s day. All shot with the D7100. I had a 7D and a 5D2, I can say this camera has an very pleasing image and i´m really loving it.

• The performance of this digital SLR is solid save for metering. While this is correctable with careful use of EC, it can be a serious annoyance for some. Besides this issue, the Nikon D7100 delivers well. Its images show very low noise with good retention of details, excellent dynamic-range and accurate image colors after tweaking. WB is not perfect but close and easily corrected in-camera or later.

Speed is very good, particularly in terms of autofocus. The 51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors is very sensitive and locks quickly as long as the lens can keep up too.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/nikon/d7100/review

• Nikon C 1.01 firmware update released:

• When images captured using a flash in Manual or Repeating flash flash mode were played back with the “Overview” display enabled, flash output level was displayed in the flash compensation portion of the display. This issue has been resolved.
    • When the AE/AF lock button was pressed with Special Effects mode enabled, Selective Color selected, and the view magnified with selective color options displayed in live view, the image did not change while live view was active. This issue has been resolved.
    • An issue that caused the Viewfinder Virtual Horizon to freeze when certain operations were performed has been resolved.
    • When images captured with white balance bracketing enabled were played back, a white balance fine-tuning value of 9 (steps) was displayed even for images captured with a fine-tuning value of 10 (steps) applied. This issue has been resolved.
    • An issue that prevented cursor movement when certain operations were performed in calendar playback mode has been resolved.
    • The size of some text displayed in calendar playback mode has been modified.
    • Display of focal lengths in 35mm [135] format recorded in image Exif data has been corrected.
    • With movie recording at 1920 × 1080/24p in M exposure mode, subject brightness did not change, even when shutter speed was adjusted. This issue has been resolved.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18539

• @Vitaliy,

Just Updated, Thanks for the Info!

• Overall, the D7100 turned out fantastic images that were indeed more detailed and impressive than those from its predecessor, and even rivaled the output of a full-frame DSLR like Nikon's D600 at lower ISOs. And despite cramming more megapixels onto an APS-C-type sensor, the D7100 still performed great in low-light, high-ISO shooting, with a near-optimal balance of detail and noise suppression

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d7100/nikon-d7100A.HTM

• I love it in both Photo and video Mode! It has great sharpness in both.

• I'm pretty happy with mine for the most part. I finally did a controlled test the other day (well, daylight isn't controlled, but it's pretty constant when there are no clouds)

http://blog.micahmedia.com/?p=464

I'm going to do a similar test against a friend's D600. So far, I don't expect the D600 to be that different. It looks a lot closer in this test, but I think it difficult/funky colored lighting, the D700 still does better. And it's still much faster. Very happy with the video too, so far. Only wish I could run video at a higher bit rate. Complex things show macro blocking when compared to my GX1 cams running the GalaX1an hack.

I did have an issue running video in a very hot church the other night, during a wedding reception. But it may have been my 3rd party battery grip. Haven't been able to reproduce the issue.

• I just go out and shot a lot different of lighting conditions with the D7100. My goal was to test the camera on a very "guerrilla style" shooting environment, then Color grade to try some more "punchy" tones to see how much can hold. Apply sharpness and also my favorite... Filmconvert.

• - about sharpen on Nikon D7100

• I will never understand how people cam use youtube in any way to show some camera test.

• @Wildranger nice video. Until now I have not been able to test my d7100 for video. From my initial peek, I have sometime seen some nasty horizontal banding. Did you experience that? The DR is very very nice.

• @danyyyel The fix patter noise is there. I worked around it with three simple steps: (1). Use Flaat10p picture profile, using neutral completely flat will raise the shadow noise, also flaat11 don´t give more real detail than 10. (2). I use Neat video, but to be honest, I always used it (even with the 7D and 5Dmk2). (3). When color grading I apply Filmconvert, this plugin adds grain and this covert any wierd noise(even without Neat video).

• Thanks for the advise, your footage is really nice. What is annoying is that lots of the DR is into the shadows, so the FPN will limit that. I am thinking of an external recorder but I don't want to put too much money into it because the black magic pocket is looming. I will have to test a bit more my D7100 and will have to see if the expense of an external recorder is warranted, because it does show promises as your video shows.

• @danyyyel Don´t bother with a external recorder, perceptual benefit is almost none. Also don´t worry about DR on this camera, its the same of a canon 7D and 5D, the internal processing on this cameras always cripple it around 10 stops. The only way to have more is: shooting raw video or the company to deliver a better video processing. that's why i say Flaat11 picture profile don´t have more range than Flaat10, yes the image is more flat but there's no more real detail.

My real recommendation, Use neat video (or any really good Noise reduction tool) and export that on Prores or DnxHD 10bit. ;)

• Very interesting video of D7100 and atomos Ninja when lifting shadows. Even with the youtube compression the noise looks much better. The FPN also looks much better with the test with the lens cap.

• Wow. Now there are some difference. To be honest, I'm not surprised because the prores compression it's gonna hold better those shadows that AVCHD. But is good to Know. ;)

I will also reply to you, it gonna be more cheap if try neat video, and "reconstruct" the H264 footage in a 16-bit workspace of After effects. It gonna look very nice.

• I made a little sharpness test between gh2 and d7100 today. I was quite astonished that they where not that far. With a little sharpening on the D7100 it looked on par on with the gh2. Now the gh2 can be sharpen a bit more, but approaching standard gh2 resolution is already very good for me. I will do some further test tomorrow and will put frame grabs.

• So I had time today to do my little test between stock gh2 and stock 7100. I made a series at different sharpness setting in camera, I will upload them a little latter when I have time. Meanwhile lets da a little blind test, because I was surprised how close they looked. I use the same Tamron 17-50 at 50mm on both of them.

sharp 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    sharp 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
  • I tried to match them, in fact I worked on the Nikon one and so it might have degraded the image a bit. So don't look too mutch at the exposure or the latitude of the scene.

• Nice! Which one are they? I see a little difference, some halo artifacts but it's not awful like when sharpening the canons. How much sharpening did you add to match the gh2? I wanna know if i'm adding to much to my footage.

• So I was waiting for a Ninja and my D800 back to do a comparison for the Dynamic range. In the end I could not wait any-more because after sharpness this was the second most important thing for me. So I decided to conduct a little test this sunny afternoon. I shot this scene and measured my shutter speed to see fstop numbers. I used lpowell .4 gama and Samuel H flat 11, I also did a gamma correction to 6 in premier to get a flatter look a see how much I could go.

Everyone can also download the 1080p images here https://plus.google.com/photos/11599...NDvxu3QnuqyjgE which without jpeg compression.

So the first screen grab represent the scene in fstop. So at iso 100 f 5.6 the brightest part is at 1/4000 of a second and the darkest part is in the house at 1 second. I took those measurement with my Sekonic L758DR. I took two other measurement with one at 1/2 second and the other one 1/4 second. So if we round up the fstops in second it would be from 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/3000. So about 13 stop if we see that there is separation between the 1 and 1/2 second exposure. Is it too optimistic, should it be 12, that is my question.

The second frame grab is the scene captures with Flaat 11 profile. Third frame grab is Flaat 11 again but I changed the gama to .6 in premiere to boost the shadows a little bit to see how much we could see in shadows. The forth frame grab is the image taken at Lpowell .4 gamma . Then I included the frame grab of each scene with wavefrom monitor, so as people can see the exposure in the link above. You can have video of the three images to judge for the noise. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jFCTM_caj5QmVYX1d0T1l5Z3c/edit

fstop dr d7100 test.jpg
    2550 x 1434 - 467K
    Flaat 11.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 781K
    Flaat gama 6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 830K
    gama .4 .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 740K
  • Just shot this last weekend with my new D7100. I used the Flaat 11 patch. I will try other color profiles as well in the future.