Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @GravitateMediaGroup Like that Moon/Rokinon combo you got going here. The look at 1:03 on vid was my favorite. If you're bored, would love to see some test shots done in a city-like environment. Thanks for posting.

• @danieivy yeah, if I remember correctly cinema tends to crush blacks

@driftwood i'm stuck between 3 & 5 I've not done any grade experimenting with 5 yet, but I would say it'll be just fine ; )

• @daniellvy I think I read somewhere that some people are putting settings at all -2 to get flat look (with exception of Saturation, which some are setting at 0). I could be wrong, so maybe some of our experts can chime in here to confirm or refute. Have you tried Apocalypse Now Boom v.1? - I love it. If I remember correctly, it was designed to create "flat" footage...assuming I read the description properly. I'm not super technical, but think this is accurate. Maybe @driftwood can chime in to confirm/refute Boom being designed to be flat. I also love how it grades so easily and nicely.

• Flat 4s if thats what you mean. Its OTT and isnt so good at wide detailed scenes. In broad daylight Boom is incredible.

• @driftwood What's OTT? Either way, I'm loving it for day and night shots. Your work is much appreciated. When do you sleep?-damn you're productive!

• Its a bit over the top (OTT) its full max for in tight to medium wide scenes - It does tend to break up a tad in wide hi-detail shots with poorer QP though. moon tries to spread the bitrate across the picture more resulting in higher average QP results for all kinds of scenes.

• @danieivy or you can just color grade your footage to get the same result. drop the saturation a pinch and lower or raise the contrast to what you're trying to achieve.

• should have a mixed edit of trial 2-5 with a variety of some graded clips some not, within the next 24 hours. to be honest, all of them look great, I guess it just comes down to improving stability for different camera settings. I've yet to personally have any issues, but I don't shoot 720 or HBR and so on. For fun I did shoot a clip with HBR and didn't find it to looks as nice and appeared to have less detail more noise.

UPDATE: after watching a couple times in a row, my Favorite is moving from 3 to 5. the clips I shot of the wind chimes vs anything else from previous trials sealed the deal ; )

• Driftwood do you use -2, -2, -2, -2?

• A quick 3 shot test of Moon trial 5.In all fairness I shot my test with the wrong settings or should I say I shot with my stills "standard profile" by mistake. I think it was something like 0,+1,0,0 .I guess if you like a more baked in look this may work for you but I usually have my settings dialed down.Clips straight from camera,shot with Sigma 30mm 1.4.Even though I screwed up my settings I like the image quality & can't wait to go back out with the setting.

• oh yea excuse the bumpy slider movement,it's not the hack.

• @eyesoul standard is the best anyways

do you use a variND with your sigma? if not, it's a MUST ; ) tiffen makes a nice & affordable one

• some clips fade from ungraded to graded

another note is that trial 2 in this edit MIGHT in fact be trial 3 footage, I've had so much going on recently my organization has gotten a little shaky. lol so just keep that in mind.

i'm also pretty happy with my HDR experiment ; )

• @GravitateMediaGroup Your standard looks like nostalgic to me, and very smooth :) what is your workflow for editing, output, please?

• drop files from cam SD into a folder, drop into vegas, makes some tweaks if needed, export. I keep everything to a minimum

the grades in this edit are not would I would typically do, just through it together pretty quick

• @driftwood I shot some Moon3 through my Kowa yesterday . . . wow. Gorgeous. I can tell I won't need a new camera for a VERY long time. Moon is exactly the look I've been waiting for. Your other stuff has always been good, but something about Moon just hit the nail on the head, IMO. Thanks, and looking forward to the final Moon patch.

• Here's a quick lower light test with Moon 5. ISO800, 24P with 1/30 shutter Standard -2,-2,0,-2 Rokinon 85mm at T2.8 As you can see, children were just in the area and I thought it provided some detail and color for a quick test. Paasword: Moon

• @driftwood What setting do you normally have the standard profile set on in terms of sharpness saturation contrast and NR?

• Also, if we are shooting at 24p...do we put this into a 24p timeline into FCP X or a 23.97p one?

• @Imackreath You are shooting at 23.976.

• @inqb8tr so I assume it would be best to put it into a 23.97p timeline in FCP X?

• Loading up Moon trial 5! I've got to shoot the Curator walking around the ruins where I was doing jib shots before, with the jib this time too, results tonight!

• Quick test not to see the quality of image because i already know it's great but that was to see how Moon 5 works while used with shoulder rig and my 45mm olympus lens. Since the first Driftwood's hacks i always had issues of image "Shacking" for a lack of better word especially on the edges of frame while using handheld or even with a shoulder rig and i know a few other users have adressed that problem without solutions. Didn't have this problem with flow motion so i thought that had maybe something to do with gop. (Gop3 handles motion better than intra?) Now i can't confirm this(need more testing) but i must say that i am surprise that this problem is (almost) gone with moon. This was shot using an ND filter as well.

• @Swiss_Boy

issues of image "Shacking"

Do you mean like choppy movement, like those wooden bars at 0:15?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters