Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Disappear: short film on hacked GH1
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • Well...what a great movie !!! Great acting too ...but , as one GH1 owner I must say the camera is good, but I´ve seen great footage coming from the GH2 and GH3 as well ... We must congrats the director , the grader and the Voiglander 25mm F0.95 and the Canon with the f 1.2 and then the GH1 in this order. Many people are complaining the GH3 has a sharp look . But , a lot of movies in Vimeo with the GH3 are done with the 12-35 f 2.8 , which is proven to be an extremely sharp lens...

The best movies done with GH1/2/3 are done with a manual lens and the Voigt 25 is found in many of those movies...

Dont get me wrong ...I have the GH1 hacked and I like the camera a lot ( not considering the freezes when recording forest, foliage and grass he he ) ...

What gear did you use to record the audio ?

Again ...congrats for the great story ...and the final was too strong...the boy "alive" returning home and the mother "dead with his son" entering the cemetery...just perfect ...

• @arnarfjodur, thanks for the info and the link.

The short is good, you should send it to some festivals.

Do you think you could ask your friend, outlining how was your postproduction process? It would be very interesting.

• @arnarfjodur What does the story tell us? Is it that the Mother grieves more than the Brother?

• @andyharris For me, the mother is obsessed with the diseased brother and using emotional manipulation tries to reach him through the main character. This is an impossible situation for him, which he has to break out of in the end. Ultimately it is about standing up for yourself. But of course, stories and films are to be understood in different ways.

The film is actually based on a short story: "Disappearing into the World" by Icelandic author Ágúst Borgþór Sverrisson. The story has been translated and published in English by Comma press, who incidentally are screening the film and inviting the author to read in Manchester on the 24th of Jan: http://www.commapress.co.uk/

I'm sure everyone in Manchester is welcome to attend :)

• @arnarfjodur Thank-you, your story telling is spot-on.

• @arnarfjodur I was totally drawn to the storyline. Lovely work. I like the beginning and ending scenes having same framing but quite different outcomes. Nice wide angle shots. Particularly I liked the bathroom scene. Thank you for sharing.

• Good storyline, story telling framing, appropriate lighting, good acting, camera movement, etc. I'm pretty sure what-the-hack-gh1-setting was the least thing the cinematographer was concerning. "the image is the vehicle and not the end in itself."

• @stonebat I suppose it's understandable, when I post in a forum where a lot of discussion on patches goes on and I put "hacked Gh1" in the topic that many people are interested in such things. Probably the reason many people watched the film in the first place is because they have a similar camera and so they identified with the project in some way.

Of course I'm grateful for the people who develop the hacks and I do think a certain obsession with detail is needed to advance certain aspects. But the obsessive technical perfectionism is good for only that: Advancing technical capacity. If what you want to do is to tell stories with images then you need to disassociate yourself from that a bit.

For a filmmaker, dominating technology should have only one goal: To forget about technology.

• Unfortunately, we did not put much effort into sending the film to festivals, but by some coincidence, the film was selected to a film festival in Yakutsk, in the Sakha republic in Siberia, Russia. It was quite fun to know of the film being screened somewhere we knew nothing about. We then just heard that our film had won the "Silver Glasses" price there. They even tracked down (probably) the only Icelandic person living there and asked him to come and receive the award on our behalf. Yay!

1003365_10151567032715723_927769259_n.jpg
    960 x 640 - 64K