Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using focal reducers with GH1/2 and old lenses?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, that exactly what I mean. Unfortunately we have only about 2-3mm to move the focal reducer back- or forward, so we will need a focal reducer or something similar with much stronger light bending.
  • @Psycho
    I found here http://cgi.ebay.fr/Antares-1-25-0-5x-Focal-Reducer-for-Telescope-/110721122830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c77e420e some interesting comments about reduction ratio variation:

"The actual reduction will vary a little over or under 0.5x depending on exactly where the focal reducer is placed in the optical path."
  • Yes, thats exactly what I think it will be.
  • so if a focal reducer were found that put the entire ff image circle on the m4/3 sensor, and a 24mm f2.8 lens had a usable/crisp image at f5.6, then one would effectively have the equivalent of a 12mm 2.8 m4/3 lens?
  • @DanDOF
    Sad to here that you got stuck at the same point. But, as I know from my own experience, you learn so much more from trying than only thinking about it...;-)

@andres
    Yes, 0.5 means half the focal lenght, but only when used in a telescope (these reducers are designed for telescopes). So I would guess the 0.5 only works for parallel light rays. Beeing so close to the main lens and sensor means everything but parallel rays.

@pingpong
    If you get 20% more field of view, you also gain about 20% in brightness (in ISO or F-stop). Its a bit tricky to calculate as you have to take into account that you start with 20% width, a linear dimension, then convert it to area increase an then go from that to the ISO or F-Stop numbers. Sorry, I can't find the calculations I did when I tested this setup :-(
    But you really get the light of the bigger image circle on the m4/3 sensor - so if you get all the full frame image down to m4/3 size you would gain 4x the light per pixel = 2 F-Stops (minus the light the focal reducer eats up, but thats only a tiny fraction). With the 50mm F1.4 that would result in a crazy 50mm F0.7 lens!

The image gets more and more of that coma glow when you open up the aperture - a smooth transition.
  • how much light do you gain from using the reducer?
    how does the image look at f2.8/4/5.6?
  • This is an interesting topic, I think many have the same ideas, glad to see you are putting your hands on it. Funny I thought that a 0.5 reducer would divide the focal lengh by 2 instead it seems like 0.8. In the other thread there is a lot of work, I wonder what lenses have a built in reducer for making that effect.
  • This really pains me to see. Why? Because I spent 8 months between 2009-2010 developing a focal reducer by doing all the math, prototyping, and considering legal cracks between the definitions claimed in different patents. I did all of this - just to find out the same issue as you've come to - COMA (i.e. field curvature).

I was so looking forward to the day where I presented my product to you all. It sucks to try something and fail, but I learned a lot in the process.

Congrats on what you've done here (as shown in the first post). I'm impressed. I wish I could help get to the next step of solving the physical/optical limitations presented by designing a custom focal reducer + field flattener small enough to fit into the cavity of a m43 body. My dream murmurs in the back of my mind. Oh sigh!
  • yep'
    ...was for an 8mm movie camera.
    I'll dig around for it, but was a "mirror box" type.
  • There are old c-mount anamorphic adapter O.O

I didn't know that - can you give me some names to look for (e.g. on ebay)? That might be a nice way of getting the desired pieces of glas.
  • I like the way you're thinking.
    I bought an early 90's Nikon/Fujix E3 digital camera to chop
    up for the excellent focal reducer, inside. This lens reduced FF to 2/3 chip size. Damn thing is now worth too much to do it.
    Next idea was to put an ole delph c-mount anamorphic adapter
    between the lens and sensor. ....This may just work....