Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
STEADICAM SOLUTION FOR GH2
  • 158 Replies sorted by
  • The little baby merlin

• Wow that's cheap. Wish I was in America just bought 2nd hand original for $300 here in UK.

• Wish I was in America just bought 2nd hand original for $300 here in UK.

First, B&H is shipping worldwide. Anyone can always use Shipito :-)

• I had Merlin for a couple of years, I could never get that rock solid horizon-level dolly looking footage since I could never stop it from swinging side-to-side. I then bought a Glidecam and had instantly better results. Show me a rock solid non-boating GH2/GH3 footage (with light lens) that is even slightly close to Devinsupertramp's Glidecam footage, and you will convince me that it's worth even $200.

Bill

• Show me a rock solid non-boating GH2/GH3 footage (with light lens) that is even slightly close to Devinsupertramp's Glidecam footage, and you will convince me that it's worth even $200.

I think that you just got problems with physics. It is very bad idea to mount light GH2 + light lens on merlin. You need to add some weight to it. You are not the first, it is know thing that is solved by adding weight.

As for GlideCam. It was only real alternative some years ago. Now better options are available, but principle here is that bigger length and distanced bottom weights usually make it simpler to get results (add here much better second hand control). Unfortunately such construction is not hand friendly (Merling is better, but not good either without vest).

• Anybody experience adding weight to the Steadicam Merlin 2 so it works with lighter cameras like the GH2/3 and BMPCC. There's a Stage Weight Bracket that they offer but it's $95. Any other solutions?

• I had Merlin for years, and used it with DVX100, HVX200 and HPX171. With those camcorders balancing was very easy with a lot weight, but I couldn't really controlled it, especially stopping and changing directions. With GH2, I could balance it, but any movement made it unusable. I could use just some parts of the footage with a LOT of warp. Then I saw some Japanese RUNNING with Merlin and GH2. I couldn't believe. After a few day and night of intensive testing, I managed to make it totally controllable. Here is the clip, walking around my small town by night with SLR Magic 12mm. One take, many corners, many changing directions. Sometimes I lose it but walking ahead, after few meters it was still again. By the see it was a bit windy and I had to make some "not good" corrections. Still the rest is quite OK.