Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Issues with 3570k ivy bridge processor and Z77 / B75 motherboards
  • Six months ago (June 2012) I did an upgrade in my computer. From Q8400 2.66ghz quad core to 3570k 3.4ghz quad core with 3.6-3.8ghz turbo and more sata ports in motherboard.

My old machine was working flawless but the new PC is freezing video playback constantly.

I just changed the motherboard and the processor, nothing else. And I sold the old motherboard and old processor to make some money, so can't undo the upgrade.

I started to do tests. I removed the pci-e GPU but the onboard GPU have same issue. I changed the motherboard from Asrock Z77 to Asus B75 and same issue. I change all possible bios settings and also bios upgrade, no solution. Everything in the PC works good, but video playback freezes in every software, a media player or a editing software. Just playback freezes, I can save the project, so I am working this way. Save the project restart computer and keep going on. Very annoying!

Anyone experiences issues with Ivy Bridge platform also? Or any suggestion to solve this? thanks!

• 41 Replies sorted by
  • It is quite strange statement.

First thing is not to make strange downgrade to B75.

Issue here can be either in used H264 decoder (I mean software) or storage.

Most probable cause for this is that you did not removed old drivers and may be some sother software settings remained.

• Not an expert of computers, but sounds like a gfx card problem. Could be something simple as drivers.

• well, I formated the hd and reinstaled everything again, so it is a new install each motherboard changes.

I downgraded from Asrock Z77 to Asus B75 because it was a cheap attempt and another manufacturer and another chipset, but no solution...

I removed the Gpu and used the onboard gpu, no solution...

all other hardware is the same, just changed motherboard and cpu... this is why I am thinking there is an issue with ivy bridge platform.

It freezes in H264 or in cineform all-i avi files also.

• Issue can be, for example, in thing you are installing.

Plus I have some issues understanding you completely.

Try http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc setting it to software only.

But most probably best idea is to get from your friends fast HDD, install it as second drive and try.

• Could it be a problem with incompatible memory? You have upgraded the board but not the memory.

• I would buy a cheap GPU and test again

• @tinbeo

He tested with GPU that is inside CPU :-)

• And yes, people also told good idea to check memory.

• about memory I don't believe because ivy bridge is compatible with 1333mhz memory which I own. and everything in computer is stable, just video playback is freezing. But who knows?

Problem now is: no money to buy anything! I am considering to sell cpu and motherboard and do a downgrade to 2500k and p8p67 asus. but who knows it will work?

what I know is the Q8400 and asus P5P43TD was working flawless.

Maybe there is some software / driver issue not compatible with the ivy bridge architecture in windows 7?

• Sounds like memory. Do a memtest with this setup. You might have a faulty stick since handling and inserting in new mobo/check memory insertions. Also check cpu usage when running h264/video playback. Is it running 100% maxed out? Also re-/install K-Lite Codec Pack. Check PSU is ok.

• check memory is a good idea, but would need to borrow, not buy. or find a store which are willing to test for me before buy and to pay in 12x small monthly payments...

• @apefos

You are constantly selling, changing and upgrading without logic or system.

Get your computer, find computer shop, better small one in your area (not mall or similar), go with your computer to this shop and do all things proposed step by step. Adding HDD, replacing memory, trying other CPU.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks. This is the way to go. A small shop to do tests before buy anything. And when it works keep it untouched for years.

@driftwood

I will do the memory test first, memtest is running, will do memtest86+ also

• So I decided to follow the advice about memory.

In the Asus B75, I loaded the setup defaults on bios and just did the common setttings. So I started to get blue screen on boot. In the Asus manual, this means memory problem, and the advice is to press the Memory OK button. So I did this and got boot without blue screen, but video playback was not solved, still freezing. So I got the idea of removing one memory module and try the system with just one 4GB module. I did some playbacks and no freezing until now, but it is too early to say the problem is solved. I will edit the next video and if I get no freeze in some hours work, so I can consider problem solved, and in the future, when I have money so I can buy another memory. So within some days I will post here if working with one memory module solved the problem or not. It is too early to say problem solved yet.

thanks.

• @apefos Make sure you do as Asus suggest when retrying both 4Gb DIMMs (8gb memory). Install into slot A2 and B2 for max compatibility in Dual Channel mode.

• @driftwood

ok, The Asus is a cheap board and just have two slots, I will take a look wich slot Asus recommend to use just one module. I will follow this similar advice in Asrock printed manual when testing Asrock motherboard because it has 4 memory slots.

In Asus I did a test changing memory frequency: 800mhz, 1066mhz, 1333mhz, 1400mhz and 1600mhz. 1600 does not boot. 1400 run but playback freezes after a while. 800 and 1066 boot but playback freezes instantly. One module in default frequency 1333 is working.

The single module is in the Channel A in the Asus, so it is correct.

I am using GT240 GPU, same used in the good old system.

• what brand and watt is your powersupply?

• @robbin may be right power supply A VERY COMMON ISSUE that is allways little seen. Video playback consume all resources. Full wattage and stuff. Try instaling a game from 2010 with heavy graphys like crysis II battlefiel 3, deadspace etc. If machine crashes also, is power. Is no memory since it would not run even in windows properly, since browsing is ok. Video is not since it does not crash showing failed image in screen, prossesor is not also, since it wont boot. Mainbord discarded since change 2 of them and same issue.

It is drivers, or power.

• @endotoxic

Video freezing due power supply is not common issue :-)

As for "video playback consume all resources" is is absolutely not true. Even in full software mode (that was not the case) such processor use very little resources for playback.

• is very common issue since GPU now uses extra power always. In Modern processor with multicore, its true does not consume full resources

I had before this is very common when overcloking, also with upgrades with no power supply upgrade.

• Before you do anything else, try completely removing all traces of the video driver and using one that is say from October 2011. Newer drivers are very often not compatible with HD video as they are only tested on on a small number of recently made cards. If possible, use the driver that came with the graphics card. For example, both of my GT 240s are great graphics cards, but they don't work with the latest drivers.

• I had before this is very common when overcloking, also with upgrades with no power supply upgrade.

Upgrade was "from Q8400 2.66ghz quad core to 3570k 3.4ghz quad core", so all this power supply things are just waste of time.

• I am using the same driver I used in previous working system, 301.42 nvidia, It was stable in old system.

My PSU is 600w 80% guarantee C3Tech brand. I did some calculations in the online outervision and it is ok.

No overclock. I don't do game.

Maybe the problem is not in some piece of hardware, but maybe the combination of them, one piece of hardware is not doing ok with other. maybe this memory in the q8400 system was ok but no good in the new system.

Since the playback is working until now with just one memory module set to 1333mhz on bios I am starting to believe a better memory can solve the problem. I am using cheap generic 1333mhz 2x4gb memory.

• Try and set manual memory timings and power that match your ddr brand. Maybe try prime 95 for 1 hour testing stability of computer?

• I can try memory timings and power, but it seems these two modules are not doing good in dual channel.

I will keep one 4gb module for now. I will do one hour playback with all videos in same timeline in full resolution. after that will start editing the new video. If one module works, I will keep this configuration until get money to buy other memory or buy in 12x monthly payments or sell one motherboard to do it. but before sell one motherboard I will install the Asrock and try it with just one module also. 18 minutes playback until now and one module is working.