Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @Azo

Hi 栄造,

Many thanks for your feedback! :-)

And I am glad in your being pleased with TZ3.

HBR of TZ3 is more practical than TZ2. Also in a detailed scene or a close-up shot, this can be satisfactorily used in both.

Thank YOU Nanao.

• HBR is most interesting to me because it feels and looks it is most fluid mode after 720p60p, i just hope it will work out on my classic class10 card

• @bkmcwd I tried the ZERO-2_BETA5 patch with the Panny 20mm 1.7 in the HBR30P mode and it did not span with this patch. The recording stops at around the 15 minute mark with the 64GB 95MB/s cards. The two recording modes that are important for me in terms of spanning would be 24P and HBR30p, I rarely record anything in 720P mode and if I do it would probably be five minutes in length or less.

I downloaded the original m2t files for the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 BETA HBR30p. WOW this patch IMHO is absolutely the best quality that I have seen yet from the HBR30p mode. Vimeo unfortunately destroys the video quality and does not do the footage justice. If anybody wants to see the real quality that this patch has to offer, download the original m2t files and convert them with 5DtoRGB to see the phenomenal quality that this patch has to offer.

I think I have the perfect setup for my needs, ClusterX Moon Trial 5 for 24p and Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 for HBR30p. Thank you @Driftwood & bcmcwd for all your hard work. I truly really appreciate all the effort and testing that goes into making these patches available to the rest of us.

ありがとう ナナオ

• NEW!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3_BETA 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - setc.ini - Released 18/04/2013

This TYPE-ZERO3 is the version as which "balance of gradation and resolving" was considered in all the modes.
    However, There is no change about 24p from TYPE-ZERO2. Because, there is no need to change.

Honestly, possibly only about 60p, adjustment may be necessity more.

I think that the freezing issue at the moment of the focusing and zooming was solved nearly perfectly also in Panny lens use.

Please try it! And I am very glad if I can get feedbacks from you.

*If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @har_k and All silent users of my settings! :-)

Of course, many thanks to @cbrandin and KING @driftwood!

• Superb-looking Pure Original 444 matrix from cbrandin is adopted in 24p mode

• Modified 444 matrix from my BETA Team in Japan is adopted in HBR/1080i and 720p modes

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24L mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound)

• Upto 75M for Top Quality HBR/FSH modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/50p modes

• Upto 60M for Top Quality 720/60p modes

• Extremely reliable top performance in AVCHD 24H and 24L

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24L only

• Fully working iA and iDynamic modes if you require them (Take care only in 720/60p)

• Beautiful 3 GOP bringing short GOP style detail & movement-rendition in all the modes

• Bush of Death / Death chart tested.

• Wonderful Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman

• Top quality 2K mjpeg Mode in HD by Nick Driftwood

• In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.

*Supposing you use "SH" mode safely in 60p, please turn OFF iA and i dynamic control. In 50p, it is satisfactory at all.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*Please compare TYPE-ZERO2 with TYPE-ZERO3 in raw data.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3_BETA 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix'.zip
    Valkyrie_444_TZ3_BETA_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 549K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ3_BETA_HBR30p_ISO160_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 530K
  • @Mirrorkisser

will the characteristics in 4p mode be the same in TZ3 or will they change like the other modes?

About 24p, I think that there is no need to change.

I am doing the final adjustment in 60p now. :-)

• @bkmcwd: thanks for your reply m8! will the characteristics in 4p mode be the same in TZ3 or will they change like the other modes?

• @moribun1984

Many thanks for your beautiful sample footage, mate. Nice work! :-)

• @Garrison

Thanks for your comment! :-)

did you make that yourself or is it commercially available?

Yes, this is my DIY steadicam. This Glidecam type was made from the parts got from the friend recently. I am not familiar with this type yet.

It is the Merlin type stabilizer which I am mainly using, and you can see it with my profile picture.

• @rsquires Thank you for your comment. I'm very sorry to say that I did not try "In camera playback". But bkmcwd wrote "In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera."

• @moribun1984 Very impressive. Beautiful serene shots. I went to Japan last year for the first time and fell in love with the place. This brought back good memories. Does this play back in camera?

• I tested "expressive powers" by bkmcwd's setting on GH2. Hacked GH2 by bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 BETA3". Pana12-35mm + GENUS 62mm ND Fader Filter. AVCHD24p, over 100mbps, SS1/50, Aperture Open, ISO200, WB Outdoors under a clear sky, NOSTALGIC(-2,-2,+1,-2). Transcode from MTS to ProRes422 by Adobe Media Encoder CS6. Exposure Adjustment & Edit by FCPX. Music: hmix.net/music/h/h6.mp3.

• @bkmcwd

Thank you for all the work put into making and then releasing these settings. It is truly appreciated.

One question- you show a stabilization rig in the video "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 BETA4 HBR30p Motion Test", did you make that yourself or is it commercially available? It seemed to work exceptionally well.

• @Azo

I am also looking forward to the TYPE-ZERO3 Kikaida sharp version :)

LOL

In fact, it is already completed almost and is already under verification now.

It may be able to be released tomorrow.

BTW, It will be good if the white balance issue was solved.

Thank YOU Nanao. :-)

• @rsquires

Thanks for using GOLGOP3-13! :-)

Although there is no schedule with which I buy BMPCC for the moment ... I is very interesting.

• @bkmcwd

Thank you for the explanation... I will also try the GOLGOP3-13 for a general all around use type of patch. I am also looking forward to the TYPE-ZERO3 Kikaida sharp version :) What I am trying to accomplish is having one GH2-patch for HBR30p/720P mode and the other GH2-patch for 24p mode.

I also figured out a way to mitigate the custom white balance issue that I had with the GH2. I use Final Cut ProX because its fast to edit with and works out great for my needs. I purchased the white balance plugin from FCPeffects and this makes it super easy to correct the white balance.

Domo Arigato. ナナオ

• Here's a short movie using GOLGOP3-13. Doesn't really showcase how good it is but it was a test I made to see what an 8.5mm lens would look like on the BMPCC. I think it's safe to say you won't be able to do fisheye on this little camera.

• @Mirrorkisser

Thanks always mate! :-)

call one setting valkyrie 444 soft and the other one sharp.

Yes. TYPE-ZERO3 which I am preparing now is just the "444 Sharp" itself.

I understand well about your reason for liking about Valkyrie 444 TZ2. On the other hand, I think that character other than 24p of 444 TZ2 is past an extreme.

Therefore, I am adjusting a somewhat sharp matrix now.

• @bkmcwd: as always thanks a lot for your efforts! Please keep the focus on gradation in the valkyrie 444 settings :) thats what makes it so special :)

Of course detail is important, but i like this setting a lot! if you focus totally on detail, valkyrie 444 will loose its special appeal :)

or differentiate. call one setting valkyrie 444 soft and the other one sharp. otherwise people loose orientation when its just continuing numbers. Because i already lost track with the valkyrie settings and just load the new one and ask my gut feeling :)

• @Azo

Thank YOU, Nanao. :-)

Although your statement is roughly right, it is not exact.

First, as a premise, supposing you use 24p, both GOLGOP3-13s and Valkyries will be able to be used satisfactorily. About 24p, it is affected only by your liking which you use.

Also in other modes, GOLGOP3-13s can be used all around.

In the modes other than 24p of Valkyries, in order to obtain better image quality, there are conditions.

In the modes other than 24p of Valkyries, are not suitable to shoot a object, such as a forest in my sample of this, fine details are spread on the screen. The speed of a motion is not related.

It is dependent on in what kind of composition you shoot baseball and waves. Probably, it is also good to judge in "whether it is wide or close-up." Again, The speed of a motion is not related.

EDIT: Please try both yourself by all means. Also in a 12-mm wide shot, I have got satisfactory image quality in the case where my son who continues moving quickly is shot, for example.

Were these communicated well to you?

• Hi Nick @driftwood,

When is the next Spizz coming?! ;-)

I am not sure... Because, my condition still is not perfect. And it is because I have some settings which should be tweaked before Spizz.

However, I have already prepared the idea in improvement of Spizz. Especially about the matrix, I am going to talk to you. :-)

• @bkmcwd I just want to clarify and make sure I understand you correctly. So GOLGOP3-13 is better for fast moving objects such as filming a baseball player hitting a fast ball, waves breaking on the shore etc, and the Valkyrie patch is better for slower moving objects like filming a band playing music etc, with the benefit of better grading. どうもありがとうございます。ナナオ

• @bkmcwd When is the next Spizz coming?! ;-)

• Although the image quality of YouTube is quite bad, this is the sample in which the character of this matrix has appeared well.

• In this TYPE-ZERO2 series, I have adopted the matrix of gradation top priority also in un-24p modes.

Although I am also planning TYPE-ZERO3 series, probably it will be the character near Spizz.

In the series, I am going to adopt the matrix to which the balance of gradation and resolving was adjusted more. :-)

• @dado023

is original mts on vimeo re-encoded or is it source straight from camera,

Of course, straight, no re-encoded.

because kind of picture is soft, lacks sharpness to my eyes.

Your eyes are right! :-)

This is a test in a situation unsuitable for HBR or 720p of Valkyries. If it is 24p, it is satisfactory at all.

Although the bit rate is about 65 Mbps in the super-high stressed shot as which this fine depiction is required, the file shot with the cherry blossoms is also about 65M.

That is, in this matrix, it is very difficult to reproduce fine details in the same bit rate.

Instead, very beautiful gradation is reproduced in a close-up shot.

Although coexistence of gradation and details is possible in 24p, since the bit rate which can be used in other modes is low, character inclines.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters