Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Problem with TASCAM DR-100 work with 5D2
  • Before I ask my question, I did look into a lot post here. But still I found my problem it's like a bug in my 5D2.

I try to find a good solution for sound in my 5D, just for some normal interview( could be in the studio and any place clients are). Before I used HDV to get some sound, 5Dget image, and sync in post with pluraleyes. But I found a lot people do get better solution. Now I try to learn it.

So what I'm trying to do is just get the quality sound directly into my 5D2, without post work with pluraleyes. My buddies are: TASCAM DR-100, SONY UWP-V1(Radio mic),Audio Technica AT897, also got Rode NTG-1(but this one no AA power supply). 5D2(hacked with Magic Lantern 2.3)

First, I try sony radio mic directly plugin to 5D, it's reasonable sound for event interview stuff, but definite not really good quality, as 5D doesn't have good sound handling ability( I guess).

Then I get this TASCAM thing.(A lot people use H4n, i guess similar thing). Tascam has 2 XLR input, So I use sony radio mic and AT897 (both powered by themselves). My tascam get decent sound these two mic. I used tascam's 3.5 line output, send the sound to 5D's 3.5 mic input. monitor the 5D's sound through AV mount. (wiki ML says we will need a RCA-3.5 adapter, i didn't see that before so i just plugin my 3.5 headphone in to that AV end, it works, I did get the sound there, amazing! ) It worked for a while but I don't when it suddenly just can only get one track, only left channel, there is no infos came into right channel. No matter what i try on all the settings in the ML menu, I can't get that right channel back...

Can anyone help me figure this out?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • thx, gona check it out!

• @Shome your probably only getting one channel of audio because your only inserting one XLR cable in to the tascam from your Mic. I suggest you buy an XLR splitter so you can send the signal from you Mic in to both left and right channels in the tascam, I hope this helps. If not just make it stereo in post.

• @abraham1307 I do plug 2 xlr input, one sony radio mic, one AT798 shoot gun mic, and I do get two channel in tascam, but after send to 5d, i only get one track there. i want get two track just for safety, so one has problem, i still get the other back up.