Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • I did not see this video before here. I think it is very nice but aliasing is a bit problematic. It is sure a horror test as it is a brick fest and it is more aliasing than moire that is evident. In a worst case scenario, would it be considered blasphemy to think about a Mosaic filter for a GH camera. It could make gh3 the near perfect replacement to the gh2 without any drawback.

• @Jwalker

The 24p-25p strobing is normal. I see it on all video dslr's. What doesn't seem normal are what you call the "hiccups". I also thought that it was due to the processor or graphic card speed of my Mac Pro at the higher bit rates but I'm also seeing it in AVCHD @ 24mbsp. I'm also seeing it in compressed VIMEO and YouTube clips so its obviously not processor speed. I did a bunch of very slow pan tests and saw it with or without OIS on the 12-35 lens.

Hope this gets figured out cause I really like the camera otherwise.

• @Jwalker Slow your pans down most likely. That is usually the case for users.

• First off, great information here and amazing footage from the GH3.

I'f got the GH3 +12-35mm lens for a few days now and it's my first experience with shooting video on a still camera. So far I mostly like what I see except for one rather big issue. in most of my test shots I see a slight strobe/hick-up effect when I pan or tilt (even slow pans). At first I thought my Imac was to slow to do a correct playback, but after connecting the camera directly (HDMI) to an HD monitor the strobe/hick-up effect is still there. Is this something inherent to these kind of camera's, is it a setting or is it a camera error. I shot most of my tests on mov. I FHD/25p and mov. FHD/25p shutter-speed 50 (-5 -5 0 -5)

I also have a magenta tinge on both the (very soft) evf and the oled screen. Thanks, Jack

• @charlie_orozco It was definitely shot at 50i. I downloaded it and had a look in After Effects.

• @andrevanberlo What's up with the "DMC-GH3 Video Test Review"? It has interlacing artifacts. It doesn't look like that was shot on the GH3.

• Something i dont understand is that most people do not like the 72mb/s all-i setting but you would think that should actually be the best considering the bitrate. Would it be that they knew this up front but wanted to press for a certain release date and will 'fix' this in a future firmware update? Otherwise it hardly makes any sense to create a high bitrate setting that is outperformed by a lower bitrate setting like the 50mb/s .mov. Also, does anyone know how footage of the nikon D600 is compared to the GH3 ?

• Here some videosi found and didnt see posted here (or at least i didnt see them while checking the last 16 pages) I didnt shoot these but thought they might be helpful. Hopefully a moderator can remove the links that are double posted?

• I've not seen this video posted anywhere here:

If one would like to summarize what is new in the Panasonic GH3 in comparison with GH2 and G5, what should be mentioned in the list? Here is my take on it:

• New 16MP Live MOS sensor (the same as in Oly EM5/EPL5?) with three-core Venus 7 FHD engine (similar to one in the Panasonic G5?)

• Extended ISO 125 & 25600 (up to 6400 for video; the GH2 allows max iso3200 for video)

• MOV (H.264) 50 Mbps (IPB) & 72 Mbps (ALL-I); linear-PCM Audio

• New “splash&dust proof” magnesium alloy body, new internal battery (540 CIPA frames vs 330) + new battery grip

• Five custom Fn buttons (versus three) and a second control dial; Touchpad-AF control (as in G5?)

• +/-5EV control of exposure compensation

• profile settings (contrast, saturation, sharpness and noise reduction) on a scale of -5 to +5 (against of -2 to +2 on the GH2)

• support for Files Exceeding 4Gb

• Variable Movie Mode (40%-300%)

• Time Code & Time lapse

• Uncompressed (clean ?) data stream to an external recorder via HDMI

• φ3.5 mm MIC & Headphone socket

• WiFi connectivity

• Support for SDXC (UHS-I) memory cards (as in GX1, G5, GF5)

• New 614k dot OLED LCD & new 1.7 million dot 16:9 ratio OLED EVF

Have I missed some other important differences?

• @valdi99 AF-Tracking in vodeo mode works fine as long as the target is not too small and does not move too fast.

• Tried to tell people about the AVCHD stuff before the camera was even released... guess people really only see numbers at first.

• Would someone please tell me if the AF-tracking works well on GH3? Same feature that has been crippled from final GH2...

• The GH3 switches on 1080p mode on Panasonic Viera screens when HDMI output is selected to 1080p and playing back 24p. I didn't say I'd tested it with an Atomos.

• The GH2 can be recorded with Ninja 2 when running in 1080i50, but not in 1080p24. Maybe it's still the same in GH3?

• @collierlandry was told differently, so we skipped the test. But thank you for testing it for us. Good to know.

• @shian ...seems that the GH3 always outputs 1080 50i, no matter if set to PAL or NTSC. When I open the footage in FCPX, it shows up as 25p. Note that I did not use conform just to see the difference. ALL-I 72Mbit shows up at 23.98 but does look really bad compared to what I captured on HDMI out

• I did test the GH3 with the Ninja2. It worked fine. Very slight difference in contrast but the quality was very similar to the internal recording.

• we were gonna test the Atmos Ninja with the GH3, but were told by the Atmos people that the Ninja won't record what the GH3 outputs. So we skipped it. We were told it outputs 60p (or maybe it was 60i) and that the Ninja couldn't do anything with that.

For now. It looks like the 50M setting gives the best results for 24p on the GH3

• @driftwood...you earlier mentioned that your GH3 produced clean HDMI out in 24p. Now, I tested this today with a Intensity Extreme and recorded with Blackmagic Media Express. Now, the only setting I got this to work is when I eighter have the GH3 Video Out in "Auto" or "1080i". I know for sure that the Intensity supports 1080 24p. I managed to get 1080 50i. The moment I switch GH3 video out to 1080 24p, my live feed is gone (note, I did remember to adapt the Media Express settings to 24p!).

By the way, the footage I captured with HDMI out compared to the ALL-I 72 MBit is like day and night. HDMI out looks really really great.

I read some posts that it is common that HDMI out is 50i. But if there is a setting in the GH3, it must work have the 24p option.

Anybody else having this issue.

• @Drizzle...can you post your videos so we can see ...maybe there ´s a bunch of fail cameras out there. I was one the first to pick the GH1 in USA. After 20 days I had to return my camera to Panasonic ´cos its curtain shutter could not open anymore. They fix it and returned , but the problem occurred again. Then, after another fix , the camera is still going well up today ...maybe those firsts GH3 some of them are just bad assembled

• I have also been comparing gh3 72mbps intra in 25p vs gh2 Orion 100mbps and I have to say the gh2 is massively better.

I had a shoot yesterday and noticed terrible moire and micro jittering round hard edges. I also find the viewfinder very difficult to verify my focus in comparison to the gh2. The evf and oled have a very pinkish hue.

It's the first time I have looked at my rushes and not been impressed with the quality. When i always has with the gh2. I sadly will be going back to my trusty gh2!

• Guys, we are searching for GH3 wiki maintainer.