Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Old fast zooms question: Vivitar Series 1 x Tamron SP x Tokina AT-X
  • Hi, all

I'm searching for a relatively fast zoom lens to shoot some pics / video from distance, especially in concerts, which have some dim lights. In my tests an aperture around 3.5 is good, then I'm searching for some old zooms with 2.8 aperture or around it.

I have already managed to grab an Vivitar Series 1 VMC 35-85mm f/2.8 (constant), but some reviews says that this lens is very soft wide open. Then after looking some threads about the subject here in Personal View I've found two other options:

Do you know if they are much better than the Vivitar? I've saw stunning samples, especially from the Tokina, but mixed reviews from the Tamron. I wonder if you have some previous experience with these lenses, both for video and (if posssible) for photo.

Thanks in advance.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I suggest to browse http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/lenses

As we had some discussion about similar stuff, as I remember.

Any reason to look in the old zooms?

As I much prefer modern Tamron F2.8 zoom. It is cheap and sharp.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yeah, I thought about the modern Tamrons. But here in Brazil the customs tax is 60% (including shipping value)...probably I'll buy one in the future, but since I'm a beginner (and learning), value is kind of a concern. :)

(a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 here is around US$ 850 in the stores)

• In this case, make two things:

1. Ask seller on ebay to declare this thing low (and make fake invoice).
    2. Try to look at modern tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or old 28-90mm Vivitar Series 1.
  • eBay vendors are somewhat reluctant to make fake invoices, at least the US vendors. :) But I will take a look around.

This Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm is better than the Series 1 35-85mm (image quality-wise)?

• This Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm is better than the Series 1 35-85mm (image quality-wise)?

Yes.

And modern zooms are usually much better (I do not talk about build quality here).

• I will think about it. Thanks for the infos, Vitaliy. :)