Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
In-Camera Creation or Post Mastering - Color, Lighting, Etc.
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • I might have just looked at it all too long. Here's the crushing I'm talking about. Lit for a 4:1 ratio, crushed to about 6:1.

Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.12.53 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 8.12.09 PM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
  • @stonebat - I should have been more clear, I meant contrast in lighting. Lighting a 2:1 or a 4:1 ratio and crushing in post to something darker.

• I thought Gh2's film mode's "Contrast" setting is nothing to do with dynamic range. Doesn't it affect only color contrast?

• @shian is definitely going to recommend getting it all in a certain stop ranger and adjusting in post. @matt_gh2 I feel some of the stuff I work with has a false sense of latitude. That might be the 8bit colour space but I'm nost rue

• @artiswar Interesting question that I'm also interested in hearing the answer/opinions on. What did you mean when saying "but for the finer things it's kinda fallen apart"? I saw some of the frame grabs you posted and I thought they looked great. I was viewing on 15" MacBook Pro (1440x900 Res), so maybe you're viewing on larger ~60" HDTV screen, or on a large screen in theater. Do you mean details in close-up shots?

I would guess @shian has knowledge of this issue.

@shian Any opinion or preference on what's the best way to shoot and edit in terms of this issue?