Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rig Recommendations
  • I've been looking at a lot of rigs recently because a recent job has required me to upgrade from pulling focus from my barrel and going straight hand-held. My budget isn't low nor is it too high (something like $300-$500) and I want something that is sturdy and will last me a while. I'm not too concerned about a matte box but if it comes in a bundle, that's fine.

I'm looking for a sturdy and somewhat weighted shoulder rig with versatility in regards to being attached and removed quickly from a tripod and room for attaching other accessories such as a follow focus, on-board monitor and perhaps hdmi splitter or maybe a microphone on an articulating arm.

I've worked with Jag-35 and I'm almost tempted to get a field runner they have for almost $500 but maybe there's something better I can work with that is more sturdy and reliable.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Nab one of these in an auction. He'll let them go cheap. My partner and I both use The Extreme 17 in various configurations.

http://stores.ebay.com/GINI-RIGS-HDSLR-RIGS

• I actually really like the look of this rig. It fills my need without emptying my pocket. I'm wondering what the distance is between the front rail elements as I'm looking to purchase the Extreme Pro and a separate follow focus. I understand it's the standard 15mm diameter rail, but what is the distance between each rails? Is 60mm also a standard between rigs?

• Why a separate follow focus? The Gini one is quite good. I don't know the spacing off hand but it is standard.

• Just watched a review on the Gini follow focus, I'm actually really impressed. I'll look into getting the extreme 17 come pay day :P

Edit: Only cons I can see are the fixed mark on the top and bottom of the disk and no hard stops but for the bundle, I think what they have is definitely worth it.

• LOL.

How about to check the rigs that we have on deals :-) Lanparte, Tilta adn TrusMT are top three Chinese manufacturers.

Gini are good rigs, but quite specific, with hardly adequate seller and support, plus unpredictable price.
    Gini follow focus is not really good or very handly, at least this is feedback I got personally.

• I wonder where you got that feedback, Vitaly? My Gini was easy to order, cheap, fast, seems very modular and the follow focus is incredible!

• My Gini was easy to order, cheap, fast, seems very modular and the follow focus is incredible!

Via people I talk every day.

As for seller and support, I had some expirience.

• I've had great results with the Gini follow focus. For the price, it's great. Especially because I got mine for $350. But @Vitaliy_Kiselev 's specials are superb as well.

• Issue with Gini FF is it's design, as many people specially sold and replaced it to FF with traditional design.

• Unfortunately, I'm still restricted to my budget. Where I do enjoy looking at these awesomely built rigs, they are just too much at the moment to only be purchasing the shoulder mount rig.

The only option I see myself going is the trusMT rig. Is there any more information you can give me about that? And perhaps what follow focus I should order on top of that.

• You can get cheap "Advanced rig" from

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1029/catchit-deals-limited-time-deals-weekend-specials

It is based on Wondlan design and is manufactured by Chinese guys. Has good feedback from guys.

Most popular rigs that are usually located on the end of upgrade path are Tilta and Lanparte.

Considering FF - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/562/special-deals-matteboxes-follow-focuses-monitor-hoods/p1

It has all really good Chinese produced FFs that I know about (from cheap to top).

• I am using a Novoflex Pistock-C shoulder support and a Novoflex Mini-Connect for running and gunning. Works well with non stabilized lenses up to 60 mm and anything longer that has image stabilization, all without follow focus. For the Zacuto equivalent of the Novoflex shoulder support one can probably by a new GH2 body or more. Novoflex offers a lot of bang for bucks.

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/chest-and-shoulder-support/ http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/quick-release-systems/miniconnect/

• @Zed

It is rigs made by small firm from the parts they could get from nearest shop. Such firms had been popular some time ago, but most of them now are barely breathing due to competition from firms making rigs on proper equipment.

• Generally, I agree the rigs made with noname parts usage. But there is nothing bad to sell these at decent price. I've bought one with an offset split and counterweight and I think it's got more than enough made quality for the money.

• I just totaled up what I've spent on mine and it was a bit of a shock. It's been pieced together from a couple diff manufactures but it includes the Trusmt Follow Focus from here and the Pro MatteBox but I bought mine from Redstar last year for a bit higher price. Also a cheesplate and blocks for my larger power supply and a really heavy duty handle system based on RedRocks setup. Anyways, I'm at $960 and it's rock solid. I'll put up a pic but I think my point might be to raise a little more money and go for that Complete Solution deal on here. It's the same mattebox, the follow focus isn't bad to start with if you don't have one. I saw the same FF selling under a different name at Adarama for $299 yesterday.