Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Possible StreamParser update to help with Macs
  • I've noticed that there are several people who would like to run StreamParser on a Mac. I don't really have the time to re-write for a Mac, but there is something else I might be able to do.

The main reason .NET 4 is used is for the video player panel. I could do a version of StreamParser that has that feature removed and is compiled with an earlier version of .NET.

I need to know a couple of things, though. First of all, is anybody interested? Second, what is the latest version of .NET that works well with the various Windows virtual machines/emulators available for Macs?

Chris
  • 16 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for the offer. I'm interested, but I can't answer your 2nd question. I've been using CrossOver, which is a commercial version of Wine, a Windows emulator. My guess is that Wine cannot use .NET in any form, but others who understand Windows and Wine better than I do may be able to speak more definitively.

As a workable alternative I could simply run true WindowsXP in BootCamp or in virtualization, but I would have to find a copy of XP and do an install on a partition on my Mac. Not a big deal, in fact I tried to do that yesterday but I couldn't find my old disc for XP. (I think I gave it away to one of my relatives.)

Can you perhaps just leave .NET entirely out of the StreamParser build?

bruno
  • As I understand even NET 2.0 has problems.
    In fact, I still home to see native application :-)
  • http://www.mono-project.com/MonoMac binds C# APIs to Objective-C based Cocoa APIs. Mono provides .NET runtime, too. But this could take many man hours and it might get broken on next major OSX release. I plan to install virtual WinXP on macbook pro. Easy. The latest .NET supports WinXP SP3.
  • Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to leave things alone for now - I'd rather work on other things - like figuring out how to improve quantization, etc...

Chris
  • Hi. I'd definitely like to acquire a Mac version of Stream Parser.

Small Offtopic: Is there a way to determine the bit rate without using Stream Parser?

Thanks!
  • mac version would be nice, if anyone comes up with solution keep me posted.
  • Yes. Mac version is nice.
  • Wouldn't it be better for Chris to focus on uncovering the secrets of AVCHD than rewriting StreamParser in Objective-C for OSX?

Installing virtual WinXP or Win7 running on OSX goes a long way as there are many good utilities written only for Windows.
  • don´t waste time with osx version, please!
    i run a mac, too. but I would prefer quicker results more than a mac version of streamparser.
  • I won't. I asked because if .NET 2 worked on Macs I could have just produced a version using that instead of .NET 4 - with the loss of the video window. As I understand it Mac has issues with .NET 2 as well - so I've abandoned the idea.

Chris
  • You can also look at Mono.
  • I did - it doesn't support forms, so I would have to totally re-write streamparser.
  • That's too bad. I would have loved to analyze my tests. Oh well.
  • Just in case it's still a relevant issue for mac-users: MediaInfo works fine. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/de

• Bootcamp still an option, and allowing file transfer to bootcamp volume may help (not endorsed, just fyi (http://ntfsonmac.com/) - see "built in option at bottom of article).

• @saemelbenz - thanks for the Mediainfo tip! Better than VLC for us Mac-users.