Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lightworks topic
  • Our solution was to avoid rewriting the Windows-specific code at all (it was, after all, tried, tested and optimized). Instead, we decided to move it to a new operating-system dependent layer which we engineered to have an OS independent interface.

Once this was complete, we were then able to begin work on a Linux implementation of that same layer. In essence, the Lightworks code is now split in two - the OS-independent code (eg. editing, play-engine, etc) which uses the OS-dependent code (eg. file access, threading, etc).

The OS independent code accounts for about 97% of the total codebase. The bulk of the work in porting to Linux was actually in re-engineering the existing code, not in writing the Linux-specific layer.

Linux of course doesn't have [Windows'] Direct3D, so we had to reimplement all the Linux GPU specific code using OpenGL.

This development has been long-awaited. Once again, risk-averse developers are showing us how OSes, once the mainstay of IT revenue, are losing relevance.

What's next - Lightworks for Android? -only a few lines of code away.

• 45 Replies sorted by
  • Second Release Candidate of version 14.5.0.0

This build introduces the ability to handle variable bitrate media correctly, added support for AC-3 audio in mp4/mov/m4v/m4a wrappers, support of variable frame rate files (.mov .mp4, .m4v) and new setting to the import panel for detecting variable frame rate media.

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=172000&Itemid=81

• Version 14.1

• Added export option to Reaper (Lightworks Pro only)
    • Added Histogram Graph to the Video Tools panel
    • Added ability to adjust RED R3D RAW metadata parameters (.rmd)
      • Added individual clip R3D decode settings panel next to the Metadata panel in Log view
      • Added project wide R3D Decode settings to the Video tab of the project card
    • Added 16-bit GPU precision replacing 10-bit
    • Added support for media structures:
      • Added support for XDCAM HD folder structure
      • Added support for AVCHD folder structure
      • Added support for GFCAM folder structure
      • Added support for JVC folder structure
      • Added support for IkegamiFieldPak
      • Added support for GOPRO/FlipVideo/Canon folder structures
      • Added support for chunked Canon XF clips
    • Added support for Fusion 8 on Mac
    • Added support for decode of Cineform codecs
    • Added support for exporting/transcoding to Cineform AVI/MOV (Lightworks Pro Only)
    • Added ability to acknowledge project wide LUT setting on export
    • Added ability to set a Ranged Cue Marker (Start and End point)
    • Added new trimming functionality to prevent a trim being extended beyond the media available at the head or tail
    • Added ability to "slide" an effect crossfade trim so that the trim can be moved up/down the timeline
    • Added support for Quicktimes with Alpha Channels on Mac, Linux and Windows 64bit
    • Added ability to restore deleted clips from Milestones (which restores the entire clip with media link)
    • Added right click "Render" option for clips in the sequence timeline in both layouts.
    • Added ability to export a bin of contents to XML and JSON
    • Enhanced the Media tab of the Project Card
      • Added ability to set Proxy creation settings
      • Added ability to set Transcode settings (Now removed from the Import cogs menu)
    • And much more!

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=162240&Itemid=81#162240

• Our interview - EditShare Flow Story Cloud Video Editor

• To celebrate hitting 4,000 followers on its Twitter account ESLightworks, EditShare has a special promotion: purchase the Lightworks Pro Year license with an extra 12 months! That’s 2 years for the price of 1, with either Boris FX or Boris Graffiti included (value $299) absolutely free.

http://www.provideocoalition.com/lightworks-pro-two-years-price-one-choice-boris-fx-graffiti/

• Lightworks 12.5 overview in Russian

http://www.3dnews.ru/924280

zebra488.jpg
    800 x 425 - 64K
  • Can't you just keep using the beta version and enjoying the export options that it had?

Nope

Yeah they always said the free version would export to You Tube only.

I guess I must have not read that. Anyway IF they really wanted to play nice, at least within betatesters ( here goes number of absurd testing hours + time spent providing feedback - we'll leave out learning curve and workarounds "maybe Lwks is not cut for you" experience just for fairness sake), they could provide the latest beta version without the stupid 7 days limit.

I don't care anymore... I'm thinking in founding a terrorist, you hear well NSA; TERRORIST group... based on monthly online subscriptions, goal would be insert horny marxist (?) penguin in main distribution platforms, also along low thirds in tv news, over every single politician's face, over all cartoon's sex and crawling like hell on stock market's screens :D

PS
    code name "Al-pinguinists"... a "beep" should also be implemented each time someone says "lawyer" or reads camera specs and a very drunk Kay from digitalrev should write public manifesto. As philanthropic hipocritical season activity: cutting ethiopian pregnant hippos' finger nails... uff, way OT

• Yeah they always said the free version would export to You Tube only.

• Can't you just keep using the beta version and enjoying the export options that it had? Lightworks have always said they'd charge for a number of features and I doubt they hid that from their beta testers.

• Lightworks 12 is out, it is a proper release with proper end of utopia let's double the price and fuck beta testers export and render capacity. Sounds sad? It is, it's the world we live in, quite a sad one... specially relating things involving benefit.

@Vitaliy if you think these screengrabs are redundant or smell bad, please delete them. I'm gone to drink a bottle of nice wine and dream I'm killing fucking sharks =)

Just 1 more funny thing, under the guy who answer me you can read:
    "I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user."
    JA JA JA is just so funny this bitchy life!!!

• Lightworks Release Candidate 12.0.RC2 is out

Some more improvements since last beta but what a steep learning curve of lingo, workflow and workarounds from other editors. Finally manage to properly import AAF and a workaround to paste multiple effects.
    All and all, pretty damn good free app, not for everybody style of editing though. Y'all have a good day =)

• Lightworks Beta 12N
    Small but most welcome little things =)

Finally able to reset all effects' full or single parameters

Completely revamped (fussing normal + RGB + curves) colour correction effect, nice!

• Lightworks Beta 12M

First of all and most important, THANK YOU, for all the hard work and for keeping improving the experience :cheer:

Secondly, this is a half baked list; no special order; within the mindspace and time I could put into it. Probably many of the things have been already looked at, talked about and so on, but this is my list!!! just kidding

EFFECTS RESET
    be able to reset effects instead of having to delete them - purple dot next to green? - copy settings (sync) instead of having to save as a preset for faster workflow /// #A multiple enabling selection just by clicking first and scrolling down (AE) or clicking first and then shift last #A

searcheable effecs as it has been done with shortcuts / keys

KEYFRAMES
    same as #A

AUDIO
    as tomario said, disabling audio playback without having to go into the mixer console; shift + icon and alt + icon could mute / solo them and so no need for more icons (tomario wise words ,-)

FPS
    interpret footage (premiere) style for real slomo with no fuzz

TIMELINE and EFFECTS
    clicable clip menu to add an effect spanning that clip only - that already happens in the layer directly above (L1), but even if (L1) unselected and only selected second layer above (L2), effect would join first layer. V1 has to be selected also, strange.
    Being inside or in selected fx.

• 1 for the lock tracks movement, freeness is over rated :P

posibility of adding (sync) multiple effects to multiple clips without being just an overal layer.
    mark in and out and select track where to add them would be fast enough :)

VIEWER
    zoomable edit viewer, I mean the image, not the window :)
    magnifier with lock, real 1:1 ??? (to source and not display).
    I would prefer, in some cases, a smooth flowing smaller image with magnfc assistance.
    that’s one aspect of Lwks I’m really down about…

ROUTING
    save video routing disposition / layout (save action / state / preset) to quickly {re}create the structure when working with multiple effects and layers all different in a multi edit end of the world meltdown tight deadline orgy.
    multi selectable nodes, shift, alt, something to quickly unchain, same for chain the nodes, here dragging is a drag

LAYOUT
    an icon "fit" in the timeline next to + and - mag glass icon
    ability to fully / further customaise layout; i.e. outer window line thickness, I know I know the shark and red ribbons are house trademarks but I’m not asking to put there my name, just the possibility of muting them. I’d seriously love to change luiz (name I gave the shark) colour. If you know a programmer with much free time, maybe create a tamagoshark ™ out of it :P

auto-collapsable title windows… extra space it is always useful and if not accesing submenus of changing name…

when advanced dialog is enabled in TL you coukld fit there some audio meters gray with dark blue levels, orangish when close to 0db. naked lady will also do

SCOPES
    Video scopes could use some love, a graffics monocolor mode, RGB parade?

VIGNETT-E.T.
    a propper one, ratio / size, ammount, softness and more important than color, luminosity blend levels and blend style

LUTs
    that would be wonderfull, BTW no point in spending your saliva explaining to me what Lwks is and what isn’t; I was born dum & grew stubborn =)

or forget LUTs and make 3D Lut Creator - http://3dlutcreator.com - integrable

THE SPECIAL FUNCTION
    pretty please enable at once the dwarfs fairytale mode for going to bed with cookies and nice glass of whiskey and everything is done by the morning, thank you

• Lightworks Beta 12L
    I found a way to edit effects seeing just the output, kind of locking the comp layer in AE. Like in the screengran below there are 3 layers, one with 2 effects (FX1), another one with 6 (FX2) and a third one blending them (FX3). It's a bit vegan-pita if video routing changes, but... Again it's, if only UI wise, still a very green platform, specially for edit. Some cumbersome cucumbers grow amidst very responsive and gradable tools; renders are fast but anarchists at their core; user effects are pretty nice stuff =) It is not the same as it doesn't composite but I can relate better to this model (thinking now in Hitfilm)... does it shows Lwks were one of the 3 unknowable fathers of NL grading? Dunno, where's the mother?

Totally forgot, for premiere roundtrip export AAF file, I couldn't make EDL or xml work and I tried with a hunting knife :P

• More borned half babies with sexual deviations already: Lightworks Beta-K for mac, WB picker bug is dewrinkled (je je), lots of nice new features, SUPERB user FX filters!!! I like: the tools available, easy to colour correct and grade / the cruiser warp 1 speed of the app (4 filters real time fullscreen playing in mi fossil laptop) it's just nuts / it's a big steep curve to get used to edit methodology - honestly it's what I struggle with / love full screen, simple and yet useful focus / everything is keyframable on the easy and it works / new blend modes are {affected voice} simply divine, chicos... for an infant this thing can already kick some ass =) At LWKS someone is putting somethin' strong in coffee pot :P

◦   Added new Content Manager structure  
    ◦   Bins and Groups (previously racks) are now all visible within the content manager  
    ◦   Multicam Bins (previously Sync groups) are now all visible within the content manager  
    ◦   The Search function has been incorporated into the content manager (click the magnifying glass)  
    ◦   Added Clips, Subclips, Prints, Syncs, Edits, Searches, Everything and Recent filters to the content   manager  
    ◦   Added ability to create and edit Filters  
    ◦   Added ability to create Filters based on search criteria and manage them  
    ◦   Added the ability to drag/drop files from the OS directly into an open bin (cannot import to Filters)  
    ◦   Added the ability to import directly into an existing bin (cannot import to Filters)  
    ◦   And much more!  
    •   Optimised the drawing pipeline. Any/All UI elements are now drawn more efficiently (less laggy)  
    •   Rewritten the Lightworks Play engine to remove the need for the Display Optimisation Field/Frame   button
    •   Added improvements to the export panel to make it easier to select a format for export  
    •   Added entirely new Blur effect to the Effects panel  
    •   Improved responsiveness for image display when moving the timeline marker    
    •   The full list of fixes and other improvements in version 12 can be found here  

Some of the filters I linked in previous post - above - are very very very nice and truly useful, incredible to think this are user built. Anyway 4 ur convenience I gathered all (within my chaos) in the BELOW attached ZIP file

How to import filters: first click "effects" button down in the timeline, then little "cogs" icon on top right of dialog and then "create template from .LSD file", easy! See grab also. I wonder what that Assistant App is... for executables/plugs?
    Video routing nodes looks good in the picture :P

List of filters

ALE_SMOOTH_CHROMA(1)
    Ale_ChromaKey
    AlphaFeather(1)
    AnaFlare(1)
    BigBlur(2)
    Border(1)
    CAFixer(3)
    CCHelper(3)
    CCHelper2(3)
    CameraShake(3)
    ChromAb
    Clamp16-235(2)
    ColorBars(1)
    CubicLensDistortion(1)
    Edge(3)
    Expand16-235(4)
    FilmFX(2)
    FilmFXfixKH
    FilmGrain
    Flare(3)
    FxColorHalftone2(1)
    FxDotScreen
    FxHalfTone2
    FxManga
    FxNoise(1)
    FxPerspective(1)
    FxRefraction(2)
    FxSpinBlur
    FxTile
    FxTiltShift(2)
    GlassTiles(1)
    Glint(1)
    GradNDFilter
    GradNDFilter 2
    GradNDFilter 3
    Grain(1)
    HSVWheel
    IrisBokeh(1)
    Kaleido(2)
    Letterbox
    MaskBlur(2)
    OldTime(2)
    Perspective(1)
    PixFix(1)
    PolyMask03-2
    PolyMask04(5)
    PolyMask04-2(1)
    PolyMask05(6)
    PolyMask05-2(1)
    PolyMask07(3)
    PolyMask08-2(1)
    PolyMask10-2(2)
    PolyMask12(2)
    PolyMask12(4)
    PolyMask14(1)
    Rays(3)
    ReadMe-Linux
    Read_Me_First.pdf
    Read_Me_First_2014_07_12(1).pdf
    Read_Me_First_2014_07_12.pdf
    SCurve(2)
    Shrink16-235(3)
    Sketch
    SkinSmooth(2)
    Technicolor(3)
    Tiles(3)
    Toon(1)
    VariGrain(1)
    Vignette
    WarpedStretch
    Water
    Water_2
    ZoomBlur
    chromaticabberation
    jh_analysis_show_hilo(1)
    jh_colour_cinestyle(3)
    jh_mask_ellipse(2)
    jh_stylize_oldmonitor(2)
    jh_stylize_vignette
    motionblur(1)
    vintagelook

you're welcome ,-)

LWKS_fxs.zip
  • Lightworks Beta-J for mac is out.
    There's a big bug in the CC effects picker, they're aware of it. Getting better but needs muchi worki yet =)

Custom made effects in Lwks forum's - http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=9259&Itemid=81

• Finally, it took a long time!!
    I played a bit with LW mac beta - thanks @Vitaliy for heads up ,-)

First of all WTF is this 7 days rope around my digital neck?!! Je je
    Then about the program itself... hmmmm. It looks like a very very beta thing. I don't mind at all the floating GUI (nice that is full screenable) and I can live with the silly red shark talking to me, but there's no way I'm comfortable editing; I didn't even manage to find shortcuts for such a basic task as jumping from clip-start to clip-start in the timeline. Add to that I was unable to import simple edits from premiere, being XML or EDL (actually EDL was imported but just the bones). The overall feeling is something that still needs a lot of work and that some essentials are missing. There are some nice features like the node based chain (video routing) which is still at its infancy. The WB selector is pretty nice with a punch-in like window where you can still define sample area. Some stuff is very intuitive but there's no help or guide or anything but the fucking red shark.
    Like there's no feather in masks and everything looks and feels a bit oversimplified (just look at the scopes).
    That said here's the good part, other than being (7 days license) free, the colour correcting tools are pretry responsive and enough (double edge blade on that enough, eh?) the colour engine does a very good job and in my machines is by far the fastest rendering standalone. Even from h264 material is damn fast the pimple shark!!!

Personally, I'll keep an eye on this project, hopefully LUTs will be implemented, plugging and effex compatibility added, GUI refined and the overall experience might get a bit more coherent, reliable and enjoyable +)

imageimageimage

Quick and dirty tests, full of inconsistencies :P  LW is always top right

PS
    Ok found a bit more of info in their site
    From the User Guide

imageimage

• Honestly I never got around liking the Interface. I liked the educational pricing and the opensource-ness a lot but import was buggy and very picky, wich is not good when working on projects with many different camera sources. There is too little online ressources and a too step learning curve for it to be worth the switch from PP. What are its mains advantages over the other editing suites such as FCPX/PP?

• "The latest beta sees this cross-platform video editor finally starting to live up to its promises."

review on ZD-Net November 25, 2013

Some useful comments here about usability on Linux, effects and criticism about still-insufficient help installed and little support except paid training. (read: a wiki forum might be all we ever get for free)

Lightworks Free is available for download with a 30-day renewable licence and Lightworks Pro (currently Windows only) is available at a yearly subscription of £50, or £20 for educational purposes. The subscriptions, in part, pay the licensing fees for various proprietary codecs that extend the capabilities of Lightworks.

• New Lightworks Version 11.1.1.P Now Available as Public Beta

• Added support for native MP4/H.264 MOV handling without using QuickTime
    • Added entirely new EditShare Licensing Service (ELS)
    • Added initial 48fps file support
    • Added 1080PsF 48fps as an output format
    • Added support for Blackmagic I/O devices. Drivers 9.5 or higher are required (Pro version required)
    • Added support for Windows 7/8 64bit with a separate 64bit installer
    • Added outlining support for the native titling effect (Pro version required)
    • Added ability to let the user specify where media directories are stored using the disk manager tool (Pro version required)
    • Added ability to let the user specify where local projects are stored using the Manage project spaces function (Pro version required)
    • Added support for linking to audio rather than copying it locally
    • Allowed MP4/AVCHD (MTS/M2TS) media to be imported into the Free version as transcode only
    • Added support for linking to files through ALE import
    • Added support for automatic relinking to subclips when importing an AAF
    • Added ability to enable/disable detection of split MXF files
    • Added support for subclips without V tracks on AAF import/export
    • Added ability to automatically flatten multi-level subclips to one level when exporting an AAF to Avid
    • Added ability to read and interpret AVID markers as cue points in AVID AAFs
    • Added new padlock icons to show the state of an edit when using shared projects (Green = Owned by you. Yellow = No owner. Red = Owned by another user)
    • Added ability to drag a tile from out of the viewer copy icon (left click and drag)
    • Added ability to drag single tiles to the New Edit, Bin and Sync Group tools
    • Added ability to auto unjoin all clips when unjoining a cut point using the mouse. This is now the default behaviour, click the cogs icon and and set "Auto unjoin" to "No" to disable
    • Added ability to bypass auto unjoin by holding down ALT before clicking a cut point
  • Basingstoke, UK – September 11, 2013 – EditShare®, the technology leader in shared media storage and end-to-end tapeless workflow solutions, will be demonstrating its Lightworks Pro editor running on Mac, Linux and Windows at IBC2013 (stand 7.B26). The tri-platform editor has reached a groundbreaking 600,000+ registered users and is the tool of choice for editors working on a wide range of critically acclaimed films. “With a sizeable and very active Lightworks community behind us, we have an enormous amount of valuable feedback and are able to aggressively develop Lightworks with distinctive features that resonate with the editing community,” states Matthew Sandford, global product manager, Lightworks. EditShare’s Lightworks R&D team drives some 26+ public beta cycles and aims to push out four major releases per year.

IBC attendees to the EditShare stand can test-drive the latest Lightworks innovations at the Lightworks Bar. In addition to Mac, Linux and Windows support, new Lightworks features shown at IBC2013 include:

• Support for all AJA video I/O devices including lo XT and KONA LHi (Pro version only; Windows or Mac)
    • Screen Capture Recording (Pro version only)
    • YouTube Export Option for Windows, Mac and Linux (Pro version only)
    • Multicam improvements including: S
      • Simple panel for creating and syncing clips together
      • Sync groups now automatically sync to the record edit
      • Ability to easily swap a clip in the timeline for another clip in the sync group, using drag and drop, clicking a menu or pressing a shortcut key
      • Ability to create a random edit from the sync group
    • User Interface changes including:
      • Timeline indicators on tiles
      • Rulers on timelines
      • Scalable user interface allowing support for Retina displays
      • Appearance changes: Scale, Window Color, Text Color, Heading Color, Subheading Color, Selection Color, Brightness, Typeface and Wallpaper Image
    • Curve Color Effect
    • Avid DNxHD MOV Export Option (Avid DNxHD License only)
    • Enhancements to the Key Assignments Panel including: Ability to create Macros from key assignments
    • Ability to search the panel for the command
  • I am happy to report that Lightworks Linux Beta is working for me quite nicely. The few glitches I have reported might even have been already addressed in forthcoming Beta v11.1K , to be released on 28th May 2013.

• Added preliminary support for native MP4/H.264 MOV handling without using QuickTime (work in progress)

At http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=46319&Itemid=81