Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-PL5 topic

Specifications

• 16.05mp Live MOS sensor
    • TruePic VI image processor
    • Tilting (180 degrees), capacitive touchscreen
    • ISO up to 12,800
    • 8fps burst
    • 1080p video

• Price - $699 for kit ($599 body only)

Previews and reviews:

Availabe at:

olympus_epl5.jpg
    624 x 446 - 51K
    xz3.jpg
    567 x 463 - 61K
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • Hello Vitaliy,

I'm new here. This is my first post. I hope it's in the right forum. :-)

First, thank you for being here and creating this site!

I use my EPL-5 body for astrophotography (hooked to a Celestron telescope) I can do this now, but I would like to use the HDMI output and an external monitor to assist with setting up the telescope. (Depending on where in the sky the telescope is pointing, it can be difficult or uncomfortable to see the back of the camera)

Unfortunately, as soon as I connect an HDMI cable, the camera goes into playback mode. Is it possible to get around this?

If not, can you recommend another micro 4/3 camera which I can use in this way? Perhaps the GX1, or something like that?

Sorry if this is an obscure question. I'm hoping with all the work you've done on these cameras you can point me in the right direction to find a solution...

Best Regards,

Ralph Wolf

• about 10 clips stabilized with Mercally. Most clips are out from camera, just little grading at Magic Bullet Looks. Same colors as EM5. People asking my advice about 5-AXIS (EM5, EM1) vs. 3-AXIS (EPL5, EM10). It not bad at all, but I see huge difference with EM5. I don't tried yet EM10, but I don't sure 3-AXIS IBIS of EM10 could be better than EPL5. If somebody think about cheaper camera than EM1, I'd better choose EM5 than EM10 for similar price. One thing I don't satisfied with EM5 is weak record video button, not really built for hard everyday use.

Batteries of EPL5 hold about twice longer time than EM5, both original and replacing.

• The Olympus PEN E-PL5 packs some serious photographic power into a small package -- thanks in large part to the 16-megapixel Live MOS sensor it borrows from the company's acclaimed OM-D E-M5. The image quality produced by a compact system camera at this price point is simply astounding. Though the E-PL5's menu system is confusing and confounding, those with patience will find themselves pleased with the camera's advanced, immensely customizable controls. Add to all this very fast and responsive shooting performance, and the Olympus E-PL5 emerges as a strong contender for enthusiasts looking to ditch their bulky DSLRs, as well as beginners stepping up into their first interchangeable lens camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-epl5/olympus-epl5A.HTM

• OMD picture quality in a smaller package. Nice. But the design is neither retro nor modern.

• Some really interesting things about these new Pens. First the Olympus PEN EPL5 has 1080p @ 60 FPS AVC-HD video. That is a first for Olympus to have AVC-HD right?

It also has 8 FPS continuous shooting. That is even better than GH3.

• That looks like a great little camera. I wonder if any of the new Pens will have wifi?

The answer is no.

• PR:

Main Features:

1. FAST AF for instantaneous autofocusing and Touch AF Shutter on the Live View screen let users experiment with a whole new way of shooting
    2. 16.05-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI image processing engine for high image quality equivalent to the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 in a compact, lightweight body
    3. 12 Art Filters including a new “Water Colour” filter supported by Variations and Art Effects for even more creative artistic expression capabilities

The mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera market pioneered by Olympus with the PEN series is fast expanding in Japan and Asia where mirrorless cameras now account for 50% of the interchangeable lens camera market, as well as in Europe and the United States of America.

Following up on the success of the OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL3, which wasand improved them, and combined them all in a compact, lightweight body. praised by critics for its combination of high functionality and ease of use in a stylish, ultra-compact body, Olympus has refined and improved on its formula with the new OLYMPUS PEN Lite E-PL5.

Like its predecessor E-PL3, the E-PL5 is designed for people who want to enjoy the pleasures of high-end photography without crimping their lifestyle. At the same time, the E-PL5 boasts some pretty significant improvements in image quality, functionality and ease of use.

The E-PL5 takes its imaging cues from Olympus' top-of-the-line flagship model, the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5, by incorporating the same 16.05-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI image processing engine that have made the image quality and sensitivity of the OM-D E-M5 the unmatched standard for Micro Four Thirds system cameras. For style and design, the E-PL5 looks to the OLYMPUS PEN E-P3 for its convenient, stylish, and very functional detachable grip. Finally, from the E-PL3, it inherits the swiveling monitor that enables monitoring during self-portrait shooting with a greatly expanded swiveling range. In the E-PL5, Olympus has brought together the best from its entire lineup, refined and improved them, and combined them all in a compact, lightweight body.

Exciting new features include the Touch AF Shutter function, which lets the user take a picture simply by touching the Live View screen.

In combination with the FAST AF system that made the OM-D E-M5 the world's fastest autofocusing camera, digital photographers can now capture precisely the image they want at precisely the moment they want it. With instantaneous focusing and a capacitive touchscreen panel that reacts immediately to the lightest touch, the camera will not shake at the moment the shutter is released, assuring maximum clarity and stability. Incredibly effective with moving subjects, the Touch AF Shutter will make new ways of shooting possible, taking the creative power and excitement of photography to a whole new level.