Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @goanna yes, 60 − 1/4000 sec is EXACTLY the same as the GH2. It is a camera, and they have long exposures.

• @vicx

I think, in reality three versions must be made, with same specs and body.

1. Original GH3 - $1300
    2. One without articilated touch screen - $1100
    3. One without screen and EVF, flash and build in mikes (inluding mikes board). - $799

Last one will be ideal for your second and third camera.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do you think new GH3 body will help 1080 60p hack development on GH2, or not possible- hardware limited?

It would be awesome if Panasonic updated GH2 firmware to suppport AVCHD 2 with 60p, but that is pure fantasy...

• @NickBen

My understanding is that sensor data transfer on GH2 is just limited.

• Current Amazon prices, body only:

Nikon D5100: $550

Panasonic GH2: $700

Nikon D7000: $1000

Panasonic GH3: $1300 (MSRP)

Nikon D600: $2100

Nikon D800: $3000

Black Magic Camera: $3000 (MSRP)

• @Aria

As I said, I'm just waiting. So far, no camera.

• @LPowell

You forget another cam - Pentax K5 :-)

• Ah, my bad, let's not foget Vitaliy's favorite:

Pentax K5: $900

• As an incremental improvement on the GH2, I agree that a body price of $1300 puts the GH3 smack in the middle, and historically it is never an enviable position. $700 more and you enter the emerging lower price full frame, D600 and most likely a Canon soon (give this segment 6 months, and you will see discounts that will put further pressure on the GH3). Below you have the photo capable K5 and D7000 or the NEX-6 to face. When the GH2 came out, it looks rather unique. Although the GH3 is better, its specs are more of the same. So if I am Panasonic, and I want to ship GH3 in volume, I would aim its price a touch lower towards the $1000 range. For us, 72mbps may sound unique but for the larger public, that means zit.

• I'm saving for the GH5. Since 4 is unlucky.

• @rigs Yep I confirmed that on 2 different media readers ...

The file is 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps, its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling, 8 bit

Interestingly on the link P Bloom calls it the "original .MP4 file" So I assume that this is in Camera compression, and probably what they shot it at in the first place. Maybe the All-I option was not available then, not sure but he definitely calls it "Original"

So if thats true, it does look good for such a low bitrate at 1080P.

The way it strobes slightly on those fast pans across the restaurant window. car accelerating etc...is very much a 23.976/24 look to my eyes. But as far as I can tell thats definitely less strobing, juddering etc..from handheld/fast movement/fast pans than you would get from a GH2...at least in my experience, and I have done plenty of tests.

• @Astro

It is original from video editor. I don't see how it can be original from camera.

• That's just a compressed stream for upload...

• I hope the body lugs are welded into the body. I had body lugs falling off w/o notice from both the GH1 and GH2. Luckily I was faster than Newton.

If it is made in China, it could spell trouble (not just for Panasonic). Drums of war are getting louder in the western Pacific.

• Something else to consider for just $100 more than 1 x GH3...

2 x Panasonic GH2's for $1400 ;>)

In fact I'll predict within a week of the GH3's release a GH2 body will sell for $649.00.

If I was starting from scratch 2 x GH2's for the same price as a single GH3 would be a no brainer.

• @Vitaliy Yep that is right...now I think about it, what was I thinking...they edited it...jeeez!! BUT I would have hoped they had released one or two of the in camera very short segments at the higher bitrate...(just for a sample download) but probably Vimeo would not host that. Anyway it looks pretty good considering its less than 20Mbps, and seems to handle the fast stuff quite nicely and pans are not too bad either for 23.976 Frames.

• @pundit Yeah 2 GH2's would be good, but personally I would want a good 60frames at 1080P for slow mo stuff, that would be useful to me, plus different file formats in camera output is also useful. I have a TM700 for slow mo stuff but I am reasonably keen to sell it off now LOL!!

• @Astro No denying 1080p/60 isn't great. One GH3 and a GH2 as a 'B' cam for $2k total would make a pretty decent setup. A single cam for longish interviews requires a bit of creativity to keep the visuals from becoming a yawn factor especially if time is tight for shooting some cutaways at the end. I've been seriously considering a second camera though I might just get another GH2 for now and see how the GH3 shapes up down the track.

• Just downloaded the 1080p video.

Looks great to me. Not sure why there's so much fear about the image being soft. Plenty of detail and colours look good (Im not a fan of the GH2 colours) The DP has a habit of doing the -3 mantra and the voigt is a soft lens. When footage is too sharp it starts to look like video.

• Wasn´t the om-d priced similarly when it came out? Price of the gh2 will go down, no doubt.

However, you guys keep talking about how nobody will buy it because of the price; you have to think about what the price signals as well. Cheapo camera and people begin to suspect there is something wrong with it. GH series has had the crown for dslr video, yet people (who are unhappy with their canon´s vid IQ) are hesitant about going the gh route. Even despite liking the IQ. The pricing of the gh3 signals difference, quality and I think it can be the exact opposite of what @danyyyel has said; this will make the gh a very luring prospect for unsatisfied canikon videographers. There will certainly be a couple of good kit deals and a price drop within 3-4 months of release.. Maybe sooner if they struggle with sales.

THE om-d has shown that a good photography mode can be immensely desirable, even though the sensor size is "only" half of full frame. Or maybe precisely because the sensor is smaller, camera less bulky than many aps-c / full frame counterparts (w/o sacrificing IQ) but wrapped in an attractive package.

All it takes is they sell body + 12-35 or 35-100 for 2000 usd. Then it would be a real bargain.

• one important thing for me is that (hopefully) there is no more difference in 24p and other framerates in data rate and quality. Over all very interessting specs but unfortunately my rewo cage won't fit anymore.

• I never saw so much public leaks before release.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions