Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @Astro

It is original from video editor. I don't see how it can be original from camera.

• @rigs Yep I confirmed that on 2 different media readers ...

The file is 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps, its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling, 8 bit

Interestingly on the link P Bloom calls it the "original .MP4 file" So I assume that this is in Camera compression, and probably what they shot it at in the first place. Maybe the All-I option was not available then, not sure but he definitely calls it "Original"

So if thats true, it does look good for such a low bitrate at 1080P.

The way it strobes slightly on those fast pans across the restaurant window. car accelerating etc...is very much a 23.976/24 look to my eyes. But as far as I can tell thats definitely less strobing, juddering etc..from handheld/fast movement/fast pans than you would get from a GH2...at least in my experience, and I have done plenty of tests.

• I'm saving for the GH5. Since 4 is unlucky.

• As an incremental improvement on the GH2, I agree that a body price of $1300 puts the GH3 smack in the middle, and historically it is never an enviable position. $700 more and you enter the emerging lower price full frame, D600 and most likely a Canon soon (give this segment 6 months, and you will see discounts that will put further pressure on the GH3). Below you have the photo capable K5 and D7000 or the NEX-6 to face. When the GH2 came out, it looks rather unique. Although the GH3 is better, its specs are more of the same. So if I am Panasonic, and I want to ship GH3 in volume, I would aim its price a touch lower towards the $1000 range. For us, 72mbps may sound unique but for the larger public, that means zit.

• Ah, my bad, let's not foget Vitaliy's favorite:

Pentax K5: $900

• @LPowell

You forget another cam - Pentax K5 :-)

• @Aria

As I said, I'm just waiting. So far, no camera.

• Current Amazon prices, body only:

Nikon D5100: $550

Panasonic GH2: $700

Nikon D7000: $1000

Panasonic GH3: $1300 (MSRP)

Nikon D600: $2100

Nikon D800: $3000

Black Magic Camera: $3000 (MSRP)

• @NickBen

My understanding is that sensor data transfer on GH2 is just limited.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do you think new GH3 body will help 1080 60p hack development on GH2, or not possible- hardware limited?

It would be awesome if Panasonic updated GH2 firmware to suppport AVCHD 2 with 60p, but that is pure fantasy...

• @vicx

I think, in reality three versions must be made, with same specs and body.

1. Original GH3 - $1300
    2. One without articilated touch screen - $1100
    3. One without screen and EVF, flash and build in mikes (inluding mikes board). - $799

Last one will be ideal for your second and third camera.

• @goanna yes, 60 − 1/4000 sec is EXACTLY the same as the GH2. It is a camera, and they have long exposures.

• Hahah Aria is right. I am a cheap bastard and it is what I liked about the GH2.

I guess I would like Panasonic to release two cameras. A GH3 and the GH3tt0.

The ghetto version of the GH3 would add the new venus engine and encoder for the high IQ recording but then use the old plastic body and the old VF and LCD to keep the price cheap. While I'm cost cutting I wouldn't mind a kit of four plastic body full manual lumix primes for $1000. They could be rebadged Cheapix and I would still use them without shame if they were sharp and covered 12mm, 24mm, 48mm and 96mm f2 -> f3.2.

I'll still get a GH3 but I would like to buy a few GH3tt0s and a Cheapix lens kit.

• @goanna, this is just a camera. It either fits your needs and wallet or it doesn't. It's not like Pany is looking to defraud or steal from us. They made improvements to the camera and they set a price they think the market will bare. If sales are low they'll have to adjust. I personally compare what this camera offers based on what we know so far and I think it's better than anything in it's price range. If it's not then i'd like to know what is better and cheaper given the build quality and features. As I said many of these changes are exactly the requests i've read users posting for a good while now.

This reminds me of the BMC talk before. A lot of negative comments before we really had the full facts. Bloom was using a pre production model that he admitted had a few issues still. I doubt highly that he had enough time to really learn the camera and get the absolute best out of it. I remember reading a lot of posts on forums about how the GH2 wasn't really better than the GH1. This stuff seems to happen all the time.

• If Blooms original upload to vimeo is as @Astro states " 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps, its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling and its 8 bit" then that is a very compressed rendered version.

Pixel peep all you want, but I would bet the original edit looks allot better then his vimeo rendered version.

• @Aria

Nope. Just wait and see like most of us.

When I hear manufacturers using words like "commitment", I reach for my hip pocket to keep my wallet just where it was.

• @goanna, my points weren't sales talk. Perhaps you have a different take on the improvements Pany has made to the GH going from plastic to a Magnesium Alloy body with weather seals. In fact most of the improvements are substantive and would suggest a much more serious approach. What DSLR anywhere near it's price has All I high bit rate internal recording? We are talking about a camera that's under $1,500.00.

I don't understand what seems to be a lot of disappointment being voiced over a camera that seems to be a direct response to many user requests. WE ASKED for most of these improvements!!!

• I'm glad they also made a water sealing and metal body model, i really need it for the tough things (dust, rain, etcetera). I think this is a smart feature, like would be the announced extended better dynamic range. If it will ship (thanks to Vitaly and Nick, and all the other people that make this dream true) a glorious hacked 24p, i'm sold since now ;)

• 60 - 1/4000th

As in 60-seconds?

• Shutter is 60, not 1/60. No one is that crazy.

• @Aria

serious about the GH line

Great sales-talk. Panasonic staff or just shareholder? ;-)

• From the beginning the GH line was a niche camera. They have been touting the "hybrid" camera line for a while now and in truth they've been doing a good job. They've now decided to move the G5 into the spot that the GH2 used to occupy and the GH3 is now a new more pro level for Pany in this market. NO entry level cam has this level of features, so we aren't talking about entry level but solidly into the Enthusiast range and many Pros in various media.

The fact that Pany went with All I and Timecode in this camera shouts that it's a much more serious about the GH line than ever before. They are well aware of the buzz the GH2 got from the Zacuto Shootouts. Now they have an even better camera with more features that will make it more useful by semi pro and pros. They've perfected their Hybrid branding with the GH3 IMO.

• Min shutter "1/60"? Lowest ISO "160"? Not very video-friendly for a guy who shoots in bright sun :-(

• @bg2b I see the same thing with the GH2. It does this in specific situations, even without motion in the frame. It's most definitely a codec problem. Seems I'll have to make a thread and post some screen grabs.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions