Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @AKED

Can you comment on what lens and scenario this was filmed with? Was this the 12-35mm F2.8? Also how did you adjust exposure? Did you stop the lens down with fixed ISO or was that with Auto ISO and exposure control?

Thanks for all of your work.

• Guys,

I keep reading about having clean HDMI output for GH3. But doesn't GH2 already have it? Atomos Ninja v1 works well with GH2, and records very nice 25p footage as long as Gh2 is loaded with Panasonic firmware v1.1

• @AKED

I was gonna ask the same thing about the lens.

Edited for clarity:

The second clip looks great aside from the aliasing/moire on the left side. I definitely think that the IPB looks better than ALL-I in this current firmware.

Thanks for the IPB clips, AKED!

• Then next:

1080 50p, 50 Mbps MOV

• @kholi Please in detail: What looks better than what?

• Not sure if this has already been posted please delete if needed

• And another one:

1080 50 p 28 Mbpi - AVCHD

• @AKED

Sorry, I think IPB and AVCHD look better than ALL-I with the current firmware. If you look back in this thread, I watched some unreleased test footage that was shot AVCHD and ALL-I and comparatively the AVCHD was much much better than ALL-I.

• @kholi,

It's been tough keeping up with you across the various forums...

Based on the stuff you've seen in an undisclosed location ;) , the GH3 is your weapon of choice?

• @AKED Thank you so much for uploading all that footage!

@Kholi Interesting. I guess we have demand for a hack before it even gets released. I am curious to see what UHS-I support could mean for hacked bitrates and stability.

To all the PV team at Photokina2012 - thank you so much for the footage, commentary and interviews.

It is disaapointing that no ability to adjust audio levels during recording (or with finer resolution) has been added, but at least we have a lot of clearly confirmed audio improvements.

This could be the first DSLR that does not require an external recorder, depending on the converter quality (the GH2 was already getting better but was hobbled by the codec). Of course if the AGC is similar to the GH2, it will have to be hacked again for that potential to be realized.

• @TwitHerb

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one at this point. It's just a matter of having enough change to get it after my Blackmagic ships (whenever that is...). Hopefully I can get that camera out on a fistful of jobs to make the money back so that I can get a Gh3.

@AKED

The 72 stuff here looks better than what I was seeing in the test footage as well. It shouldn't have been that improved though? 72 is 72? But, it does look a bit better than the stuff I saw.

Which was just muddy and unappealing. >:T

• Regarding quality, I think before the final firmware is out, we can not say anything final. I liked what I saw. The image in the dark was very clear and sharp. Important to me.

• I definitely like what I am seeing. However, there was some very distinct moire in the sachel strap and shirt in one of the clips. Here are some frames from it. One frame that shows it and one that doesn't. It clearly shimmers in the downloaded file though. I hope that aspect gets sorted out for the final firmware. I don't want to trade 1 good thing for 1 bad thing.

What I don't see is any hint of compression artifacts. I know these are mostly static scenes but there is no real compression going on in these clips.

GH300001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GH300002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @guys

Do not turn it to chat.

@kholi

Use PM if question is personal. And elso one message to address multiple issues.

• I am sure like everything i try and post here someone somewhere in this giant thread already mentioned this and I per-apolligize to Vitaliy if they did....But....Its on B and H for $1299 --- I dont care...IM SOOOO GETTING ONE!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892456-REG/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GH3_Mirrorless_Digital.html

• @No_SuRReNDeR

Is this B&H free advertisment? :-)

• I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that they have a new OLPF on the sensor. This could significantly change the aliasing/moire attributes of the camera without even going into the details of the new sensor (which I'm willing to bet is Panasonic made..).

@diffusion33 do you know if that is photo mode or still from video? I think the 12800 looks really clean. Only the slightest hint of horizontal lines.

• The 1080p @ 50 FPS seems great for slow motion. I am really going to like the NTSC version I think.

• @mpgxsvcd His shirt is indeed covered in moire. For a moment I though it must be some kind of patterned fabric until I looked at the other frame grab where it is not present. If this is going to be typical of the moire in the GH3's final release then as far as I'm concerned this is a deal breaker. The GH2's lack of moire was a major factor in my decision to buy it. I've never seen moire like this from the GH2. Very disappointing Panasonic.

Does anybody know if the GH3's sensor uses pixel binning or line skipping?

• @pundit

Watch the clips if you haven't already. You really can see the moire. I am really hoping they hear our complaints about this and fix it before release. This is one thing that needs to be taken care of before it leaves the factory because no amount of software hacking is going to correct it.

• @mpgxsvcd

It does look gnarly here. Maybe it's just how sharp that lens is? I've been able to invoke similar moire with Zeiss Ultra primes @ T4 on the Gh2, those are super sharp lenses.

But, yeah, that's kinda wild. haha

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev No I was just pointing it out that they have it up. I typically shop there as do many pros I think.... I actually got my GH2 from Adorama but Im not really vendor biased though...

• @AKED Thanks for these and like what I saw!

Maybe the moire is worse in Mov mode...maybe less with avchd. I remember Mjpeg having more alaising/moire than avchd mode on my GH1 & GH2

• moire/aliasing problem ... probably combo of light aa filter and panasonic lens distortion correction ...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions