Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Apefos Scoperama Anamorphic Adapter Development Topic
  • 470 Replies sorted by
  • Anamorphos

• +1 Anamorphos .. anamorphic .. morphs your lens .. vaguely echos your nickname

• ApeScope? Sorry I have not actively followed the development, but the images looked good. What to your opinion will be most difficult thing in getting the sharpness right? I ask because I have just spent a year picking the best of the best affordable lenses and the adapter would have to be rather good quality to match those lenses.

Also, focusing both the adapter and the lens sounds tricky, but I am sure it can be done. Excellent job and hopefully you will be able to offer a good product.

• @Apefos how can i get one?

I live near you in Perú, and here anamorphic is pain in the ass. Can you make one for me? and how much would it cost, ( please no too expensive ) made with lot of love i buy one, it has its own look, and every tool has a use.

Thanks for you effort!!!

• I do not mean to sound negative at all, I'd want an anamorphic adapter also. But the reality seems to be that it may be difficult to get good sharpness. I have a Olympus spherical 0.8x wide adapter and I need to stop down to f8 to get really good sharpness. But then it is just fine.

So let's hope that sharp optical formula could be found by Apefos.

• Thanks for all the name suggestions. I will think about it.

Next step is to do a video showing the prototype and do a text explaining all the project to open the kickstart project to build the final version.

@endotoxic Cheers from Brasil! I will let you know when it become a product. It will take some time because I need to build the final version and after some shoots and tests I will replicate it.

@aki_hartikainen about sharpness and focus: the prototype does not allow me to adjust focus when shooting and due to this sharpness is not the best yet. The final version will have a focus mechanism so I will can adjust focus anytime and the best sharpness and focus will be achieved.

• +1 for anamorfos

I created a quick poll. Im not sure how effective this website is though

http://poll.pollcode.com/98bkan

• @Implicit thanks for the poll! Can you include Anapefoscope to it?

• I am working on the video showing the prototype manufacture process. Yesterday I did shoots in the optical lab and plastic machining. To complete the video I will do shoots showing the prototype assemble and some images from it. also I will show the draft draws for the final body with focus mechanism. This video will be useful for the kickstarter project.

• Just finished shooting the prototype assembling and the draft draws for the final body. Video files are in computer now, need to edit.

After video is ready, I will write the project text and things will be ready for kickstarter.

• Will look to it.

• Any new content/images? The last ones (page 5 i recall) have some ncorner CA/unsharpness

Which lenses do you use to test them with? Also very important ofcourse.

• I can't answer for sure about corner CA and softness until I have the final machined body and some more lenses shaped to the body to align them properly and do a precise cylindrical/distance focus.

You can see in last pages I reached a good average result and I proved it works. But I run out of money to keep going experiments grinding lenses and machining plastic so the kickstarter is the way to go to do the final fine tweaking.

• Where are you located? i can help out maybe.

What lenses do you do the tests on?

• I am using GH2 with the 14-42mm kit lens, and nikon 35mm and 50mm full frame lenses. Also I am doing tests with Canon APS-C camera with 18-55mm kit lens and Canon HV20 camcorder.

I am in Brasil, South America, but don't worry, everything will be fine when i finish building the final black plastic body with focus mechanism and the new lenses shaped to it.

• I finished editing the video showing the pieces, the prototype assembling and the project draws for the final version, also including the optical lab and plastic machining.

I am thinking about to add some people shoots in streets to show some real world images. It will be important to the Kickstarter project.

• I arrived just now from the Liberty Square where I did some shoots with the GH2 + anamorphic adapter prototype showing people, buildings, flowers, trees... The images looks pretty good in my Samsung 22 inch full hd PC monitor, and it will be fine to show the performance in real world.

At night I will be back in the streets to shoot some lights to show the flares.

Recently I upgraded to Vimeo Plus so I will try to upload in 1080p.

• Sounds awesome, also send you a private!

• This thing flares like crazy

• Leaving modesty away for a a while, what I can say after these day and night street shoots is:

"I can't believe my eyes, it's amazing!"

In Brazilian Portuguese the word "amei" means "I loved it" so mixing Portuguese and English I can change the word "amazing" to "ameizing"

After some rest I will go on editing the street shots and mix them to the prototype assembling video for Vimeo upload.

• This is like reading a 101 on creating hype ;) looking forward to the results!

• All the information are ready to open the Kickstarter project.

MP4 1080p Video is edited and ready to upload. Draws and Images are saved in JPG files. Text is written and revised.

Sent PM to @Ian_T to talk about open the kickstarter project.

• I wish you all the best with your project.

• @apefos

Why you really need Kickstarter project and not your own small site with ability to pay?

• Mixing a dearth of soft C300 mush sold as filmic - cant even find the inverted comedy commas stuff - soft mushy sold as up-ressed 720 shallow dof (and shit shallow DOF) cack stuff to 20 year old producers - same as DX7 was fat as fook Analogue dance do it all - erm no. Have to sit daily with lovely ethic but no idea American clients showing them that SKY broadcast Donkey knob stereo - oh the sadness