Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony RX1 and R1R Full Frame mirrorless
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • The big bummer for me is that though it has a mic input, their is no headphone output. I wonder if audio can be monitored through the HDMI, which I hopeis clean like the A99. I also wonder if video can be shot in the smart teleconverter modes, creating 50mm and 70mm FOV equivalents.

That with the video IS would be pretty much all I need for my personal work. I actually like the image rendering of the Fuji X series better for photos, and the Canon colors for video, but might choose this as an all in one camera. For a lot of applications, the only limit of 35mm is your own creative ability.

• JFYI: I noticed that the image of the RX1 at the head of this topic shows an obsolete prototype: It shows a "focus mode dial" in the lower right that has four options, while the final product will offer only three focus options (AF, DMF, MF) - no "continous" versus "single" autofocus anymore.

• About the price tag, don't Forget it's ont a so bad deal for a full frame package Well built and compact, and a pure Zeiss piece of glass. Few of you Guys don't feel a shame to buy just the 35 Zeiss or Leitz for 2000 bucks. Fuji have already prove how good it is to adapt both prime Lens and sensor for a top result with the x100. People from Sony just get the way. Still love my x100, IQ challenge so mamy other camera.

• Anyone noticed an EVF is available ...,-) ? Quite good news, but the product look to be more for geeks target for now... Waiting for fuji full frame reaction could be interesting. http://www.sony.fr/product/dcc-other-accessories/fda-ev1mk

• I MEAN.... This is it. What I want to see. Black Magic produced (not sony for shitsake) weatherproof, fixed lens, full-frame, thunderbolt/usb 3 P&S cameras in focal lengths from 18mm-135mm... Navitar can make the lenses for all I care... You buy all 6 for 5,000 and it comes with a free travel case that contains spaces for cameras and 5 extra battery slots. Honestly, I could never clean a sensor again in my life and be 100% fine with it. I will sell my lenses on ebay to dslr snobs and sip pina coladas in my hammock for some reason.

• sony new sensor +zeiss, looks good combination.

• I updated first post with all info.

• Check out Flickr groups for RX100 and Fuji X10. RX100 has been out for three months. It's on track to be as popular as X10. And we don't hear a lot about X10 :)

• Top selling camera on Amazon since release.

I tried to persue Andrea to stop telling this stupid thing on his sites :-)
    No such thing as "top selling xxx" exist in online shops, especially Amazon.
    Same thing as goods located on best places in nearest shop not appeared on them randomly.

This list is pure marketing weapon, if required, they can not only sink, but completely remove product that they do not like, add things that sell awful, or bump things that sell good, but not enough.

• @ghkqn

Sony will need a golden egg with huge volume

The RX100 is many small golden eggs. Top selling camera on Amazon since release. The RX1 is the toe dip into full frame mirrorless - small volume high margin is low risk. I think Sony plans a full frame mirrorless offensive. When good reviews of RX1 circulate online it provides the right environment for releasing a higher volume product. A $3000 rangefinder is an aspirational product made almost as marketing exercise - someone famous will tweet pictures taken with this camera before it is even released.

• Margin per unit sale may be good, but unless volume is large, the product is unlikely going to break even when R&D and marketing/sales expenses are factored in. And if volume is not small, it will not have any impact on the Imaging Division financials nor on Sony financials. In Q1 2012, net income before taxes for Imaging remains flat while sales increases 8%, so all those DSLR sales with greater margins did not offset the increases in marketing and sales expenses. And when we look at Sony, Q1 financials saw net income down by 50% relative to 1 year earlier which was already very weak. Net income is only 0.6% of top line. To get out of the hole, Sony will need a golden egg with huge volume, and so far there is none.

• My guess is "Continuous focus"

• What's C button for, in front of the exp comp dial.

• @DrDave Actually yeah some people are idiots.

Ive just read some fools who have sold their Nex 7 only on the basis of a rumour of a Pro Nex cam...which turned out to be this pricey compact instead. :-D

• This is a cheap Leica right?

Of course I think it is hot even though I would not buy one.

• Sure, ppl should maybe not throw them away. But they do. How many Leica lenses are in the dumpster? Just put a flange on it, and that is the end of the waste.

• @DrDave A sensor in a camera is only made obsolete by the ones who think its obsolete. Or those who read blogs and brainwashed to think that its very important to have the very latest model.

Cameras do not suddenly stop taking pictures after a year. I still use my old knackered GH1 to take nice pics...and whats that? A four year old camera.

As for the RX1 its nice and all but too expensive. But then I will only buy cheap & second hand cameras anyway.

• Vitaliy+1 Small market, Big margin. That's the new deal.