Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SLR Magic 2x ANAMORPHIC lens
  • 804 Replies sorted by
  • I emailed about the volunteer program, but whatever happens, looking forward to seeing more results from this prototype and some fresh options on the market.

@BurnetRhoades interesting information on the recent films, thank you. I've always been surprised by the 'flaws' one can find in high-end anamorphic stuff if one really looks, and how much better (to my eye) it looks than anything else. Definitely becoming all the rage, now.

• @kellar42

This was from the v2 uncoated prototype

This was from the v3 uncoated prototype

The version volunteers will be receiving is the final coated version. In other words it will be the pre-production versions. Packaging is not final and there will be no instruction manual. Both of these will be worked on during the volunteer testing period.

We recommend those who want to look for more results should not join the volunteer program and wait for the official release version in 2014.

• @kellar42

Here's another reference to a great looking film shot with some old and crusty Cooke anamorphics (Xtal Express), the British film Brighton Rock:

...so, resolution isn't always the "end all", especially with anamorphic.

• @slrmagic the best way to see results is to test things in person! I just meant if I'm not part of the program I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Thanks @BurnetRhoades!

• Maybe a double thanks to @BurnetRhoades

Did anyone notice anything extra here?

Volunteers will be testing the 35mm T1.4 CINE II for mFT + SLR MAGIC - ANAMORPHOT 1,33X - 50 + SLR Magic Achromatic Diopter Set (+0.4, +1.3)

We tried that and he was right. It enhanced the anamorphic bokeh effect. The only problem is it is not easy to find 77mm diopters. And when you do, it is even more difficult to find them in multi coating. When you manage to find that too, you will not find one with a coating that would give the desirable look. If you manage to find that too, nice achromatic diopters with multi coating that is friendly for anamorphic lenses in 77mm are almost near inexistent if any (at least not on eBay). Just to make sure people can have the best effect we made some for testers. We have not decided on the price yet. So far it seems +1.3 and +1.7 would give the best results for our anamorphic lens so we made those two as diopters are stackable.

• Oh, nice!

I know that Hoya makes a set that big, in both multi-coated and non-multicoated. Not doublets though. You'll read smack talk about them but a lot of that comes from stills photographers who are reacting to other, mostly novice photographers I expect, using these instead of proper portrait or macro lenses and expecting the same quality. I take a lot of that talk with a grain of sand because our application and requirements aren't the same and we tend to work at stops and shutters that serious stills photographers avoid anyhow.

That's great that you see another market or concern that isn't really being served by other manufacturers like you recognized with your anamorphic adapter.

Knowing the Tokina was rather special, as an achromat/doublet, I found a list of other doublets and these seem to be more common at very large powers once you find options in the 72mm+ sizes:

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

...I was put down this path after seeing a series of stills published by the Scandinavian production house Riot Unit who, with a 1.33X adapter and a +2 diopter created some very convincing close-ups. These were criticized by some as being soft and with an exaggerated falloff in focus from the tip of someone's nose rearward but I wasn't moved by their criticism. They felt pleasing enough, were shot on an NEX which isn't as sharp as the GH2 and it's unknown what, if any, post processing was done. The look is well within cinematic precedent and as stills from motion it's how the footage plays in context that's important, not some arbitrary expectation of similar performance to whatever projector monstrosity they might be myopically in love with.

Based on the smallish aperture capabilities of the zoom lens used by Riot Unit (nikkor 35-70mm f/3.3-5.6) coupled with the assumption they'd be at the longer end of the zoom for the CUs I theorized they were using a technique like Harris Savides employed in Zodiac to achieve cinematic close-ups with the tiny sensor Viper camera, focusing in front of the subject with depth fading off. I'm confident I was completely wrong now.

Before making an investment in the more expensive, multi-coated offerings I got a cheap set to see the strengths at focal lengths I'd likely use with the GH2 and a 1.33x to work out a generalized system of lens + diopter combinations for the kind of shots that could use their bokeh enhanced.

Even a +1 has an amazingly pronounced effect (compared to the Tokina, which has negligible effect on bokeh, in terms of oval enhancement) on every lens that I tested with my GH2. It worked great to create/restore ovals for distant out-of-focus highlights but I could get nothing at all in focus more than a few feet away from the lens. Perfect for some CU focus situations but forget racking focus from someone close-up to infinity.

I was able to still achieve a very convincing, decidedly anamorphic defocus (though not as extreme) with a shorter focal length, large aperture and the close up diopter. This bought me several more feet of usable focus distance and I'm anxious to test this out for a Medium situation. The +1 on a 50mm lens, on the GH2, might not allow enough range of focus for an over-the-shoulder 2-Shot but I'm pretty confident I can get something to work maybe at 35mm or 24/25mm opened up with the diopter. It just needs some experimentation.

It's very cool that you guys are looking into these sorts of issues and I'm sure everyone who has been unable to locate a reasonably priced, or available, Tokina doublet (+0.4) will be thankful for your work. I haven't made a real investment yet, beyond the Tokina, since the Vivitar set I got was like $13 to experiment, so I look forward to your new products as an integrated solution.

• I used to want to be more accommodating of him, but he's just a crusty, racist, self-aggrandizing a-hole. A Brittish Archie Bunker too blind to recognize several relevant truths about this adapter or his prized, quaint little projection lenses that fail to be useful in the same way this adapter is totally useful.

This adapter won't need one of his threaded, anodized metal cylinders so it has to be bad. Maybe that's it.

LOL

• China/ U.K. relations after 1997 ( according to It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!)

China & U.K.: Trick or Treat!!!

China: Ooh! I got a shiny new... Hong Kong! All sparkling with blinkety nice gadgets and stuff!

U.K. : I got a rock! ( Falkland Islands)

Made in Japan used to be a joke, but that changed...

• Apparently some footage from the coated version of the Letus, shot on CP2s and an FS100:

To be honest...looks fine, but not '8 times sharper' than my LA7200 or whatever the figure they gave at IBC, was. I wonder if he had the focus totally worked out, seeing this. Still, very early yet, though, and sounds like some other great tests are in the works (one on a C500 and one coming next with with the uncoated version), so I'm still cautiously excited and looking forward to seeing more.

• At what stop was this footage though. That's the catch with both the LA7200 and the Century Optics adapter. At what stop can you get sharp, or even usable focus on a given taking lens, prior to adding diopters? That's not a fixed relationship.

There's no information on how this was shot. I know I haven't ever seen LA7200 footage near this sharp that wasn't A) stopped down and/or B) using a very rare diopter. They should be comparing adapter to adapter, like SLR Magic, comparing the base quality that shooters have to work with.

Taking a guess here, I'd be curious to see footage this sharp from an LA7200 at f/2.8 or thereabouts, with just a taking lens and the adapter. If that's what this is from Letus.

Man, those Sony cameras have really video looking highlights at clipping. And the Letus coating is very underwhelming. The flare is so suppressed it begs the question, "why bother?"

• @BurnetRhoades I agree. The image is "competent" but doesn't have any dynamite characteristics to it. Kinda a boring image. You "could" shoot a feature with it...but who just wants to make a "competent" looking feature. Reminds me of the look of those "decently" shot indie films that have no real soul or power, but somehow end on iTunes with semi-decent placement in the screen listing. You know, the ones where you wish you got your $3.99 back.

• Yeah, the image itself has to answer the question of why you would use the adapter versus crop. Even the Century Optics delivers on that. It's borderline too suppressed as well, but it would have given more of a feel in all of the scenarios seen here (as would the SLR Magic prototypes) with all those lights facing the lens.

When that ferry pulls up, with all those bare bulbs there was nothing going on. No indication really that we're looking at anything but cropped footage. So instead of taking in an overall effect or aesthetic at play I was free to look at all the the artifacts around where the window frames cross the lights and how the sensor is handling the light fixtures in a very bad way. There was a lot of detail, sure, but I clicked play because I thought I was gonna see some anamorphic eye candy.

It's not until about 2:10 that we even see the first proof (knowing the filters to fake it tend to err on the obvious side).

• Is it me or was purple fringing everywhere?

• It was. It looked like a sensor thing to me but it's hard to tell through compression.

• Got it. Not sure if that's something the anamorphic lens was doing but I've never seen it everywhere as much as that video.

• "The new SLR Magic anamorphic lens now has an official title and price.

Dubbed “ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50″ – it will cost $799 for the anamorphic adapter.

Official retail sales don’t start until next year but early adopters can get the lens as soon as November this year.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8372/slr-magic-anamorphot-133x-50-#Item_17

• Their +1.3 achromat looks to be alone at that power and diameter, in a doublet design.

• @BurnetRhoades We are not sure how others use diopters for their anamorphic lens but +1.7 gives the best anamorphic ovals on the SLR Magic Anamorphot. +2 is a bit too close focus. Our NEAR focus mode allows for nearer focusing similar to +0.4 focus range. However, ovals look much neater with the diopter compared to our convenient NEAR focus mode.

Diopters can be staked so +0.4 and +1.3 will give +1.7. +0.4 and +1.3 alone will give added flexibility.

• Oh, yes, I was just pointing out the rarity of that size at that power, in a doublet design. At larger than 72mm there are plenty of diopters at or near +1 but they're lesser quality, non-achromat. It could very well be that your's get purchased by non-anamorphic shooters because of their unique properties compared to competing diopters at the same size.

• show us the money shots provide some proof this is not a century single element design. better than an isco 54 some folks are smokin crack : ) 6 element german v 2 single elements from asia.

f1.8 f2.8 without achromat pictures are needed. racist for pointing out china lack of original ideas. slr should give hot burning burnet a free kit for his gay fan boy ways.

i have designed a brand new +0.25 from the ground up has slr done that or just done a copy of tokina japan. this new anamorphic single element design does have a good price and really will be super but keep it real. test footages on sunny days at f8 donte show and tell nuttin. edited by vitali to put a nice positive marketing spin on things.

• I was talking about the +1.3.

(edited by Vitaliy)

• I'm confused....more videos for the Letus slipped out without me seeing them, and the results seem straight-up soft in many instances, for something supposedly unique for its sharpness. Of course shooting on a 7D was a strange idea, but still...this isn't what I was expecting:

Via nofilmschool.com/2013/10/letus-anamorphic-adapter-anamorphx-widescreen-flare-footage/

• I had a chance to play with a near final version of the new SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter today with Andrew Chan.

slrmagic1

This adapter is a completely new design from other anamorphic adapters I've used. It has unique focusing abilities which give it the strengths of single focus designs like the Panasonic LA7200 with the added capabilities of what you'd find in dual focus anamorphic adapters like those from Bolex or Kowa.

In its normal focus mode, with the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II lens, you get a picture that can focus from 2.8m to infinity.

The lens also has a NEAR mode that works as a variable built in diopter. This works by rotating the ring on the anamorphic adapter towards the "near" marker on the adapter barrel when an object is closer than 2m and it moves the rear element of the adapter changing the focus capabilities of the lens. It's easy just to think of it as a macro mode, and something I'll cover more in depth on video when we get a copy of our own.

slrmagic2 You might be wondering, how does this differ from an LA7200? It is a completely different type of adapter.

First, this lens is best pared with the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II, which has been beefed up to not have lens slop while the anamorphic adapter is attached to the taking lens. Use the LA7200 enough and it will make even the most robust metal slr lens start to slop from all the weight hanging off the end of the filter threads.

Second, the LA7200 does not work at 35mm, not even close. You can fudge it with diopters, but the edges of the image will be an unfocused mess.

Lastly, this is a brand new lens with a warranty, not something you have to get lucky on an eBay auction. Every lens will work and look the same. If you have a problem, it will be simple enough to get actual support.

slrmagic3

Image Quality. I look forward to having more time to shoot with the SLR Magic anamorphic adapter in the upcoming months, but in the few hours I tested it I can give you some of my opinions. First of those being that this adapter is in no way a copy of any anamorphic adapter that has come before it. Testing the lens at infinity gives this away quickly as none of the other adapters can do 35mm without some degree of edge blurring.

When the lens enters it's "NEAR" mode that works as a variable diopter, you can get some fantastically sharp images as well as exaggerated bokeh. The lens appeared to be out resolving my BMCC, which is something my LA7200 could never do, so I'd like to see what it does at even higher resolutions.

The closest new and available 1.33x option that you could compare would be a Hawk V-lite 35mm at somewhere over $40,000. For a fraction of the price I think SLR Magic adapter+SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II lens will be a steal.

Quick image sample on BMCC at f2.8 showing image edge sharpness, slight anamorphic curvature of focal plane, and a tiny bit of flare coming through the leaves. slrmagic6

Let me just say that I love the way this lens flares now. I know it might change before the final version ships, but the coloring reminds me of the coating on our Isco 36 and Bolex Anamorphot 8/19. Blue is nice too, but those can be faked with VANTAGE Blue-Vision® Flare Filters.

slrmagic4

Finally, I'd like to think this will be a great product that should serve as a new starting point for getting into anamorphic lenses. It should greatly decrease all the unhappiness that comes with spending hours searching and bidding on lenses on ebay just to find out an anamorphic lens is broken or out of alignment. When this releases you can focus your time on learning how to shoot with anamorphic lenses, rather than focusing on the mechanics of just trying to get the lens to work with a bunch of adapters and wasting hours on forums and searching vimeo and youtube for answers.

P1030174

• HELLO plasmasmp could you please post more samples or videos? thans

• Thanks for the good info Eyepatch!

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters